Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angrymog posted:

I'd like some blanks for custom characters, monsters and adventures.

That's one of its failings compared to the D&D board games - less customisability of game, even as you have more customisation in terms of your playing piece.

I just bought this today and I'm quite excited; I've always thought cards where perfect for a more structured D&D type game. The box is of particular interest to me; there is a lot of room for extra cards and as I have just checked the rows are wide enough for sleeved cards. This means you can put all of your cards in sleeves (I've already done this :v:) and you can make custom cards easily by putting a normal playing card into a sleeve and printing a card face to slip in.

I've already started on templates for Magic Set Editor, as a DM there is no way I can play this without making new cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

malkav11 posted:

Just remember that a lot of that space is so that you can fit the cards from the next five adventures.

Yeah with the basic set and the first two expansions it's getting a little tight with the sleeves on. I don't think I'm going to be putting the expansions back in their boxes once I get them so I am appropriating the area for the empty expansion boxes to hold additional cards. You can get quite a few in that big recess.

Meepo posted:

I've played this a couple times, first as a playtester and again after it was released. I'd say it's fun, but it doesn't seem to have as much replayability to it as it could. As you level up, your bonuses just become a +1 to this or a +1 more card in your hand or change a d4 to a d6, but none of it really seems like gamechanging abilities like you might get in a RPG. I'd honestly consider it somewhat like a card game version of Diablo, constantly regrinding the same dungeon to get better loot. That's not necessarily a bad thing, per se, but I feel like they could have done more to make each scenario feel different.

This just might be wild speculation on my part but I think the complexity of the cards may increase in the higher level sets. They are going for a D&D type feel here; and low level D&D basically is Diablo. Character complexity grows exponentially with levels in D&D so the 6th set may be quite challenging. The card engine is perfectly capable of much more complex MtG style effects they would just need smaller text

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 13, 2013

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Diosamblet posted:

Well, I've learned my lesson with the Bard. He seems like everything will be OK, combat-wise, but as soon as he actually loses a combat using the suggested deck, he's screwed. Only bringing one weapon into the scenario means once he's taken some damage and discarded it, he's stuck with a d4 in combat until it either gets cured back into his deck and then drawn, or he stumbles onto/a friend tosses him a weapon which he can swap with the sling in his discard (that power is amazing).
I've swapped in Inflict for him, since it has a nice low recharge threshold, so he has some alternative.
Other than that he was interesting to play, since between his class power, spells, and blessings, he's frequently getting involved in other people's turns.

I adore the Bard. They really managed to make the whole concept of "jack of all trade, master of none" fit perfectly. He can do almost anything anyone else can do, but only occasionally or not as well. The way they manage to put D&D mechanics into card form is always impressive to me.

I recently got the second expansion set and am waiting on Wednesday to try it out. Lots of interesting cards it should be fun. I sleeved all my cards in anticipation of making my own and have made up some template in Magic Set Editor. They don't look exactly right but they blend in well enough with the normal cards to not create too much of a contrast. Wizards of the Coast has all the art from their 3.5 books up on their web site, it blends well with the pathfinder art and is pretty perfect for making cards:

Set File:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xygm52hur5kqwpa

D&D art:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ag

Radio Talmudist posted:

Someone explained this game to me as a sort of dungeon crawler in card form. Is that accurate?

This is exactly what it is. Kind of Like Munchkin but with multiple dungeon decks for different areas.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 9, 2013

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else looking to make custom cards I have found template someone has made for adventure, scenario, location, villain and henchman cards in Photoshop (as well as some scenarios he made with them). All the card types I was missing and hard to make in Magic Set Editor:

http://jrd.eu5.org/pacg/pacg.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Korlac posted:

Apparently the game is doing well enough for them to create a second game off another Adventure Path.

This is excellent, I hope they try and keep the basic cards somewhat different than Rise of the Rune lords so that the two sets can be mixed. I don't know if I would want an entire new base set if it had to be played independently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

tl;dr: Pathfinder is easier, lighter and more random. The appeal of the game is watching your character grow, not creating an efficient deck.
This doesn't have to be the case. I have been playing around with a different way to play Pathfinder and make it more of a strategic competitive deck builder then the coop game it is. Basically it works like this: play it like Thunderstone. I just set up the Thunderstone board with the stacks of 10 random face up Pathfinder cards by category (with blessings and armor in the Longspears and Torches slots). The Dungeon deck consists of 20 Monster cards and 10 Barriers shuffled together with Villains and some minions shuffled to the bottom.

Each person picks an adventurer and gets a deck of 8 Blessings of the Gods. Play consists of two steps. You draw up to your hand size; Then in succession you go to the town and then the dungeon and try to acquire one card from each. You must go to each on your turn. If you acquire an item from the town (as you normally would) it goes into your hand. If you beat a monster or barrier it also goes into your hand. Monsters and Barriers in your hand can be used as Blessings of the Gods (blessings can be used to go again in both the dungeon and town). Players do not have their own discard piles. Buried and recharged cards go to the bottom of the deck and discarded and banished cards go to the common discard pile on the table (as well as any cards failed to be acquired from the town). Healing is done from this common pile.

You may attack any face up monster in the dungeon but they have penalty's for being deep in the dungeon. The closest to the deck is +6, the second is +4 and the one on the end is +2. You may not go further into the dungeon than a face up barrier. If there is a barrier in the +2 slot you must encounter it. Each time a monster is beaten the others move up and a new one is drawn in the +6 slot. After you have beaten the monster you recharge your entire hand, shuffle your cards and draw up to your maximum hand size again. Your hand does not carry through you will have a new set of cards each turn. If you can not draw enough cards you lose. For the purposes of card mechanics every character is effectively at the same location; so cards that effect everyone at a location always effects everyone.

The object is to get the most victory points by the end of the game. The game ends and you count score when then Villain is defeated. Everyone loses if the Villain reaches level one of the dungeon. To figure out how many victory points you have simply count up the cards in your deck at the end of the game. Each card is worth the highest number on it that it used to acquire it. Monsters will be worth the most, with basic equipment being worth a few points. Blessings of the Gods are worth no victory points so trade these up as soon as possible!

Edit:
I almost forgot the XP system! Thunderstone comes with a set of 5 different coloured beads but you can use anything (coins, or trains from Ticket to Ride would be good). Each time a monster/barrier is put down a random coloured bead is pulled from the bag and put on it. Each time the monster/barrier moves up a level another bead is put on it it. Every time someone loses to it another bead is put on it. Whoever defeats it gets the "Experience" in addition to the Monster/Barrier card itself. You can cash in two beads of the same colour to check one box on your character card for the rest of the game. You can cash in three bead of the same colour to check off three boxes for the rest of the game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 14, 2014

• Locked thread