Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nah, I think the next movie Optimus finds a tribe of primitive robots (Dinobots) and then trains them as his hound dogs to dismember more Decepticons, in a not-so-subtle reflection of what he has been doing with his human allies all along.

The names of Age of Extinction toys have been leaked. Some possible spoilers there, including the mention of Galvatron. The codenames used to hide the toy identities are pretty great:
Adrian
Bruce
Duke
Ivan
Max
Paulie
Rocky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The cover of Empire shows off a new look Optimus.

Maybe this thread has coloured my views, but he doesn't look heroic at all - he looks like loving Sauron. If I didn't know any better if think he was the film's villain.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a pretty neat sword. I can't wait to see how many decapitations and dismemberments are played for laughs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Holy poo poo. :stare:

My first thought was 'Oh, that must be an evil version of Optimus' but, wow, if that's the direction they're taking him...

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Milky Moor posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

My first thought was 'Oh, that must be an evil version of Optimus' but, wow, if that's the direction they're taking him...

Evil version of Optimus is just Optimus, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

verybad posted:

Evil version of Optimus is just Optimus, though.

He's actually been Galvatron all this time since his "revival". The REAL good Optimus will come back leading the heroic Dinobots to free Earth from the Autobots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's actually been Galvatron all this time since his "revival". The REAL good Optimus will come back leading the heroic Dinobots to free Earth from the Autobots.

Aw yeah! They're going to Clone Saga this bitch!

Party Boat posted:

Maybe this thread has coloured my views, but he doesn't look heroic at all - he looks like loving Sauron.

No it's not the thread. He really does look like Sauron.

Also, kudos to Wahlberg for looking totally pumped on that cover. "`k Mark, give me your best 'huh?' face!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wish Bay would just cast all the other actors from Pain & Gain in this one. Wouldn't be the first time Dwayne Johnson is in Transformer either (he voiced Cliffjumper in the pilot of Transformers Prime).

And this is apparently another Autobot from Age of Extinction. It was allegedly spotted on a set crew hoodie. Notice the dinosaur-like details and you'll realize who it's supposed to be.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 26, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Party Boat posted:

The cover of Empire shows off a new look Optimus.

Maybe this thread has coloured my views, but he doesn't look heroic at all - he looks like loving Sauron. If I didn't know any better if think he was the film's villain.

Wow that sword. Also did Labouf give up?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wow that sword. Also did Labouf give up?

Sam's story is complete, and Shia is off doing other kinds of movies now.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is Mark Wahlberg turning into ripped Michael Keaton?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you like some of the quirkier movie Transformers designs, check out this Hound toy from the new movie toyline. I saw someone speculate that it's based on the bearded Special Operations guys who was in Afghanistan.

edit:
Like this guy.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 1, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What is the metapolitical subtext of the pteranodon having two heads

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

What is the metapolitical subtext of the pteranodon having two heads

Double-headed eagle reference?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
So can we just get a bunch of giant robots doing giant robot stuff and no hot chicks or shia or anyother bay-isms

Okay maybe having areosmith do a song would be fun.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
I kinda want the dinobots to be semi-organic. Think Terminator: robot on the inside, but coated in living tissue that gets violently shredded and rent and twisted as they transform. Make it looks really creepy, and have the clean and austere vehicle transformers be disgusted by it, like it's some long forgotten perversion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dicky mouse posted:

So can we just get a bunch of giant robots doing giant robot stuff and no hot chicks or shia or anyother bay-isms

No, of course not. Why on earth would you want that?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dicky mouse posted:

The lack of Shia has me less interested in TF4 than TF3.

This film better be good.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
But is Linkin Park still doing the theme song?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I kinda want the dinobots to be semi-organic. Think Terminator: robot on the inside, but coated in living tissue that gets violently shredded and rent and twisted as they transform. Make it looks really creepy, and have the clean and austere vehicle transformers be disgusted by it, like it's some long forgotten perversion.

The original series dealt with something similar. The precursors to the Transformers were the Trans-Organics, cybernetic creatures using biological and mechanical components. They were seen in the episode Dweller in the Depths

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking a little Inhumanoids-ish there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

The lack of Shia has me less interested in TF4 than TF3.

This film better be good.

Marky Mark, motherfucker. Movie's going to be great.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Armyman25 posted:

The original series dealt with something similar. The precursors to the Transformers were the Trans-Organics, cybernetic creatures using biological and mechanical components. They were seen in the episode Dweller in the Depths

Ah ha hahahahahah ahahahahahhahah I wasn't picturing that, I was picturing Robo-Thing, but gently caress it, give me that. Give me a Micheal Bay produced film with a cybernetic tentacle gorilla and a goblin bear trap camera, slap "Transformers" on it, and watch the fandom shake itself to pieces.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Armyman25 posted:

The Spotlight: Shockwave comic actually has the Dinobots do exactly this on Earth to avoid some form of Energon loss that I don't remember the details of.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The third season went to some pretty strange places. Zombie Optimus Prime, Galvatron going to a mental institution, a cameo by Cobra Commander. It really was an episodic science fiction show, rather than the Earthbound show the first two season were.

And we find out this guy made Unicron:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Armyman25 posted:

The third season went to some pretty strange places. Zombie Optimus Prime, Galvatron going to a mental institution, a cameo by Cobra Commander. It really was an episodic science fiction show, rather than the Earthbound show the first two season were.

And we find out this guy made Unicron:

Wait, what?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

It turns out some weird little alien created Unicron as a sentient A.I. that grew too powerful or something. I forget exactly what the details were.

Yeah the third season got into some pretty mad poo poo. Granted so did the second season, but there was something especially crazy about the third season. It's part of the reason it's my favorite season.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Is there a compiled PDF of the second movie/thread?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LightsGameraAction posted:

It turns out some weird little alien created Unicron as a sentient A.I. that grew too powerful or something. I forget exactly what the details were.

This is somehow less crazy then the comic books where Unicron is some sort of Satan analogue that literally came from another dimension together with the Transformers god Primus (Primus having transformed himself into the planet Cybertron).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BiohazrD posted:

Is there a compiled PDF of the second movie/thread?

The pdf in the OP has everything from both incarnations of this thread.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Party Boat posted:

Almost, I do not have this post...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post420983733

I...might have forgotten to copy over the editable document when I reformatted a few weeks ago.:suicide:

I will add that post in tomorrow.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Age of Extinction will be the first film to be shot in full 3D IMAX.

quote:

Up until now, every feature film shot in full IMAX (of which there have been only a handful – The Dark Knight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Dark Knight Rises, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, Star Trek Into Darkness and now The Hunger Games Catching Fire) has filmed with a 65mm 2D IMAX film camera. IMAX has a 3D film camera available, but most filmmakers find it too big and loud to actually use. (Star Trek Into Darkness is the only of those films to be exhibited in IMAX 3D, but it was post-converted.) It wasn’t until recently that IMAX created a 3D digital camera, which will allow 3D capture in full IMAX. The first filmmaker to use that is Michael Bay on Transformers: Age of Extinction. That camera is much smaller and lighter than the other IMAX 3D cameras and will be used quite a bit in the future. There is no 2D digital IMAX camera, but one is being developed.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Apparently I had an old PDF that only had the first movie stuff. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God I can't loving wait. Bulky cameras are the best thing that happened to Michael Bay.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I read through most of the PDF over the course over a few hours just now. I'm happy to have read it and it will be mulling in my brain for a while. I think the saddest thing is what these ideas are encroached it. It's really telling that the OP had to skip through a significant chunk of the second movie because it was just plain stupid/useless. I wish these movies weren't assaults to my senses so that the story of Megatron could have been more well presented.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Personally, I like that the film's staunchest defender has to admit how vile and nearly unwatchable the second movie is.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Personally, I like that the film's staunchest defender has to admit how vile and nearly unwatchable the second movie is.

Nah, I watched the whole trilogy because of the original thread (had previously only seen the first one, and hated it back then) and I definitely enjoyed that one the most. Except for some of the poo poo with Seymour which just went on and on.

Number one still follows that kinda standard template where the underdog hero tries to get the girl and the car and save the world. Second one dispenses with a lot of that and just goes off in its own weird tangents. Along with more memorable actions scenes, to me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
2 is actually fantastic. The early scene where Bumblebee blows up the kitchen beats the entire ending of Part 1, and there's great imagery like a mural being blown open to reveal a ribcage underneath (way better-executed than the equivalent shot in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2).

Dark Of The Moon found a perfect balance between being a fairly straight alien invasion picture and a harsh satire of the Autobots and everything they stand for - but if I have to choose (which you do, with the earlier films) I'm going to go with the latter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
2 has it's moments but I'm not that into robot cooning. 3 is balls to the wall and replaces cyber-minstrelsy with Buzz Aldrin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main issue people still have with the second film is "The Twins" being egregious racist stereotypes (fake edit- and judging by HUNDU's post as I was writing this, looks like that is the case). But the explanation that the Transformers are acting out what they know about Earth culture from Earth media is one of those "its not even subtext, its just text" things. The Twins should not be seen as a literal representation of racist stereotypes, but as alien robots acting out stereotypes that already exist in our culture. Just like Optimus is acting out the cultural idea of how a hero looks and talks without actually being heroic at all.

I mean isn't Terry's central idea that you can watch the films and not have to agree with everything the Autobots/protagonists do? And even that the films can be seen as being entirely about that?

EDIT - And before someone says "lol ironic racism", I'm not saying the film was being racist ironically but rather that you can see it as about racist stereotypes rather than as advocating them.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 8, 2013