Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yessss! This thread is back. I'll give it a detailed read - I've only briefly skipped Terry's amazing posts at this point - as soon as I wake up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure there's something to be said about how Optimus tries to beg for his life when Sentinel stabs him (since it's so unusual for him to display anything except anger and murderous rage), but my brain's been sitting for too long. Time to watch this film again! :getin:

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 1, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It always frustrates me when people bad-mouth the movie designs. I think they're great, and agree with all the reasons you pointed out, Terry. Personally, I think the best designs are all found in the first film - I think the second and third films just went a bit too out there and seem incongruent with the designs from the first film. I remember making a big post about my personal opinion on them in the previous thread, touching on Arcee, the motorcycles and the Constructicons. However, I don't think there is anyone who will disagree with you about Megatron's third design - it really is wonderfully evocative and I think it's a bit unfortunate that we only barely see it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, like I said before, it's a David and Goliath reference. In the accurate translation, David knocks the gigantic Philistine warrior down with a blow to the leg,

Doesn't Sam hit the Decepticon liaison (his name escapes me) in the knee with a rock?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Terry van Feleday posted:

Also, on an unrelated note: Is there a good place to find smart words written about Bad Boys, The Rock and The Island? The lattermost movie in particular I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about. I'm going to get Archives as soon as I get my hands on a credit card, so old SA posts are fine as well.

No you're not, because I'm going to take care of that. It's the least I can do in return for such a fantastic thread.

edit: ...I just need your email address!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Terry van Feleday posted:

Thanks man, you're the best :)

And done!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Holy poo poo. :stare:

My first thought was 'Oh, that must be an evil version of Optimus' but, wow, if that's the direction they're taking him...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dicky mouse posted:

So can we just get a bunch of giant robots doing giant robot stuff and no hot chicks or shia or anyother bay-isms

The lack of Shia has me less interested in TF4 than TF3.

This film better be good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's also not how the Twins talk and act but how they look - big ears, ape-like appearance, gold teeth...

Jazz took on an African-American personality in the first film, but he didn't become a racist caricature.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

:stare:

Is that a new design for Optimus beside SamuraiBot?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Came here to post this. It does feel weird that there's no Shia LeBouf, though. The Transformer at about ten seconds in, slashing up that car, makes me think of Megatron. Or is it Galvatron? Who knows.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I just had someone quote these threads to me in an actual conversation and the excerpt they quoted to me mentioned me directly.

Terry, we've done good things. Very good things.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Decepticon with a naked face, Autobot with a mask.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

Kind of ironically, windblade is a character made by Hasbro putting up a poll to make a new transformer, with options for names, weapons, altmodes, color schemes... and gender.

So Transformers are a boys only line that shouldn't have female characters because they don't sell and "why should robots have gender, let's just make them all genderlessmale" and all that, and the moment they put up a poll for what buyers want in a new character they all vote "female"

Wasn't Prime Arcee really well received?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Is that a sword or a gun or both? :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm going to do my best to go to opening night (in Australia).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The shot of Mark Wahlberg looking outside his truck at about fifteen seconds made me double-take. Dude looks like Shia LeBouf. All I thought was: 'This is Sam Witwicky as a dad'. Do we know how long after the third film this one is set?

edit: I want to see 'Mark Wahlberg Talks To AnimalsTransformers'. "Oh hey there, Optimus! You're a truck, I like that! Say hi to your mother for me!"

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 6, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Have to agree. It is far easier to tell the individuals now. I'm curious though. Are these the main Deception army or are these something different?

Apparently the main antagonists might be human-built transformers. :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CJSwiss posted:

It takes place 3 or 4 years after DotM, Wahlberg plays Cade Yeager.

Yeah, I know it's not Sam Witwicky, but they could pretty much be the same character.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I feel like I've seen a very similar image to that Imax poster before, especially regarding the general design and stance of the Transformer depicted there. I'll be damned if I can place it, though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Well, now I look like an idiot!

edit: And I'll be immortalised at the top of this page.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's pretty interesting how weird Prime's opening monologue is in the first film as more Cybertronian history is revealed as the film goes on.

quote:

Before time began, there was the Cube. We know not where it comes from, only that it holds the power to create worlds and fill them with life. That is how our race was born. For a time, we lived in harmony. But like all great power, some wanted it for good, others for evil. And so began the war. A war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death, and the Cube was lost to the far reaches of space. We scattered across the galaxy, hoping to find it and rebuild our home. Searching every star, every world. And just when all hope seemed lost, message of a new discovery drew us to an unknown planet called... Earth. But we were already too late.

The Cube was :airquote: lost :airquote:.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

A giant Transformer that literally eats planets? How could Michael Bay not feature it in one of the upcoming movies?

It's too grandiose. Like it or not, the Transformers films have been fairly grounded amongst the everyday life of the common man. Unicron would set a fairly different tone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Given the all new cast of humans, a shift in tone may be in store.

Given that this is Bay's final film (sadly!) it is certainly possible. I personally think the whole Unicron/Primus thing is one of the goofiest parts of the Transformers mythos and I'm not particularly fussed about it being included either way. I don't see this iteration of the Transformers becoming more epic or universal in scope.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

They've also already had Robo Satan in the form of the Fallen.

:shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I still find it weird that there's no female robots present anywhere in the series except for about a total of five minutes in the second film, especially after Hasbro was surprised by the fans designing that new one (Windshield?)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

If all the robots were genderless but we referred to them by male names and 'him' regardless, is that still oppression? Would it be if it was 'her', instead?

Besides, Alice is just his slave name. The gender is an act. But then, when isn't it?

Go back to the Star Wars thread.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Transformers obviously do not and cannot have a biological sex, but for story purposes their gender is determined by their voice actor, and currently we are at a severe lack of female transformers. Arcee didn't even have any lines in RotF before being unceremoniously killed off, which is sad given how great she was as a character in Prime.

I think she has, like, one line. Grey DeLisle is the credited voice actress for her/them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Transformers: Prime is decent, overall. June Darby is generally fantastic and I think my favourite scene is when she browbeats Optimus and the Autobots for endangering children - even as Optimus tries to give her a big speech about it. As a show though, it kind of feels like that the writers wanted to do some things that they were forced to pull back on, leaving it with a feeling of wasted potential. I really liked the June/Jack/Arcee dynamic, but it sucks that it was basically shoved aside past the first season up to an including Miko learning more about Arcee's past than Jack did. I can't help but think that some Hasbro exec realised that the writers had had Jack flirt with a giant robot and basically got worried about it and just sort of separated the two.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 13, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Those ridiculous sword-guns. :allears:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I post this every couple of days in this thread, but...

I am ridiculously psyched for this film!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Watching the trailer on something that isn't my phone. It looks like Optimus is in the middle of fighting Galvatron when Gunface blasts him.

So, what've got? There's the Autobots, the Human-built Transformers, and then a third faction represented by Gunface?

Lessail posted:

"How many more of my kind must be sacrificed?"

umm Optimus I think you're forgetting something important there

Also this. Sure, I sent the AllSpark into deep space and basically started this whole mess, but... :qq:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Baumann posted:

I think its odd that Optimus seems to be separated from the Autobots when we first see him, and in pretty rough shape. Dark of the moon ends with him being pretty much unstoppable, killing two major threats to his power, but something clearly changes in the 4(?) years since that happened. I wonder what happened to change that.

I think the idea is that, at some point, humanity decided 'enough is enough' and started killing all Cybertronians. So, he's probably been on the run and hidden. It makes you wonder if they started hunting down the Autobots before or after they figured out what they were made out of.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Am I the only one psyched for a new Steve Jablonsky soundtrack?

Anyways, I was thinking. It's interesting how the new Autobot designs seem to be continuing the trend of eschewing the 'car bits and pieces' that were very obvious in the first film. Optimus is still a truck but you wouldn't know that looking at his new design. It's like the Autobots have thrown off all pretext of appearing like cars or trucks in human-form and instead appear like alien soldiers and warriors. I really liked the designs from the first film so, really, I'll miss it.

On the other hand, Lockdown is a fantastic looking design. Black metal with a bright green faceplate, goddamn.

And this is an interesting promotional image for the film...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Well, he already discarded Jetfire and maybe he forgot where he parked his trailer?

But he needs that flight tech!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That website URL as cool stuff on it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Leospeare posted:

I thought it being "ravaged by war" was an Optimus Lie? It looks that way when he does his hologram trick in movie 1, but not at all when we actually see it in movie 3.

I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it, though. Probably not destroyed as nobody seemed too broken up about it after the battle. Presumably at least a few autobots wouldn't be happy about destroying their home planet.

It looks like it's collapsing in on itself during the climax of the third film. However, that could easily be said to be spacebridge magics and it might be fine. They could go either way, really.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I just want to see Mark Walhberg talks to Transformers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

As cool as the new transformations are, I'm going to miss the heavy, kinetic weighty feel of the original sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TBQH, I wish they'd stop using OH MY GAAAAAD.