Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Transformers 3 is a genuinely good alien invasion film along the lines of War of The Worlds and Battle: Los Angeles that is continually interrupted by the obscene presence of the Autobots. It's the film's running joke: that any poignancy is cut short by Optimus stepping into the frame in his trumped-up idiot uniform, or Bumblebee appearing to snatch a falling character from the air (a recurring image).

People have called Bay a nihilist, but his appreciation of 'the troops' seems genuine. He's just as genuinely distressed that they fall into line behind this Optimus figure.

Consider that Sam's search for Carly in Chicago is the same scenario as Cloverfield, and consider how that film ends by comparison. One thing people miss in Cloverfield is its fairly seamless transition from being a 9/11 film to an Iraq War film, and you get the same thing in Transformers 3. There's the imagery of the skyscrapers being toppled, sure, but the spectacular violence is mostly distraction, chaos designed to disrupt the existing order so that a 'fortress' can be built in its place.

Remember when all those advanced terrorist gunships engaged in a prolonged shock-and-awe bombing campaign? 9/11 was a lot of things, but it wasn't a colonization.

Yeah, there's never a moment where the soldiers are filmed or treated with anything other than respect; they all act competently, and a group of soldiers literally takes down a decent number of giant alien invading robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

Did the Decepticons accidentally make tiny human-sized guns?

I bet it's the Autobots. After all, nothing says "autobot" like outfitting people they find inferior with weapons so they can more effectively fight wars that might not necessarily be in their best interests, all in the name of "freedom".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Angel posted:

No it is not weird because Linkin Park are much better at making music than loving Imagine Dragons.

Because we're in a thread where we're talking about how awesome Transformers movies are, I feel comfortable saying this: Linkin Park released one of my absolute favorite albums of all time in A Thousand Suns. It's fan-loving-tastic.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

A cross over between the two (GIJoe/Transformers) in their current incarnations would be the loudest, most explodiest summer blockbuster movie ever. :magical: Only Michael Bay should be allowed to make such a movie.

That's the most patriotic idea I've ever heard.

I'm super pumped, I got my ticket, which means I'm only 9 days away from seeing all of the explosions on the biggest screen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Here is a superior analysis of everything wrong with Frozen:

http://everythingwrongwithfrozen.tumblr.com/

edit:
Actual response to Cinema Sins stuff. This was actually published a month or so before Cinema Sins' Jurassic Park video.

Also, Rian Johnson saw the video they made for Looper and hated it (for the obvious, correct reasons) and they apparently made a Twitter account just to suck up to him.

edit: That video is so bad, it's worse than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and RotF is a godawful movie.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright guys, are you ready for another round of "lovely Reviews of a Michael Bay Movie"?

"How dare you, Michael Bay? How dare you?"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not A Bear posted:

Optimus came off as such a psychopath in this one, I can almost agree with why the creators want to put him down though. And the last I dunno, half hour was brutal, although it did almost reach a point where it became too much and I became almost detached and bored by the amount of explosions and robot smashing

YAYYYYYYYYYYY! I cannot wait for this movie, it seems like it's going to be everything I want and more!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, movie owns. As if it would do anything else.

Two things I noticed:

1. The "Asian stereotype" wasn't another case of a bad Bay joke, but part of a set. Each of the remaining Autobots is a(n incredibly obvious) stereotype of a particular action movie staple. The "honorable Samurai", the "off color, overly violent Irish lone wolf", the "grizzled, chubby explosives expert", the "hip young kid who talks in pop references and fights like a break dancer" and of course, the "leader/general".

2. The movie is allllllllll about obsolescence. Mark Wahlberg is become obsolete as a dad, Optimus is becoming obsolete as a transformer, even the movie theatre they were fixing up at the beginning, and all of the junk Wahlberg fixes up, all on the verge of becoming obsolete.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, and I can't believe that people didn't point this out before, but the best quote of the movie was easily "We keep trying to make him look like Optimus Prime, but he keeps ending up like Megatron!"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Dub posted:

I went into this one with Terry's reading of Optimus Prime as a psychotic fascist, but it was still extremely jarring to hear him say "Honor until the end," only to immediately stab Lockdown in the back and then cut his face in half. It's par for the series at this point, but still.

Also, props to the lady next to me who turned to me halfway through the film and yelled "OH MY GOD THAT'S FRICKIN' FRASIER!"

I was very pleased by Kelsey Grammar's performance, especially because I just started watching Frasier for the third time and it would have been easy for me to not take him seriously, but he stepped up and was hella threatening.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

The thing I find interesting about the Transformers series is how, despite critics panning them without an ounce of thought or reflection* beyond the cultural zeitgeist that Michael Bay is a dumb manchild and despite the hardcore nerds hating them because they're not G1, these films still make ridiculous amounts of money and I can never find someone who shares these views. It's like the average movie-goer loves them. When I saw TF4 at midnight in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed. When I saw TF3 at opening night in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed.

*Watch how every reviewer keeps mentioning that the human-built robots are Decepticons.

I'm pretty sure everyone hammered out reviews to this movie a month ago when a particularly good Transforming-based pun came to them.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really, none of the names have inherently good/evil connotations aside from "Decepticon". You give the names Optimus Prime/Megatron to someone who loved under a rock for years and has no idea what the gently caress a Transformer is, you might not get such a clear split .

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJSwiss posted:

Actually, the Megatron-as-revolutionary backstory comes from the Generation 1 UK comics and was adopted by the Aligned universe (the Prime TV show and War/Fall games) and the IDW comics where he started as a disgruntled miner.

The movie comics' backstory is that Megatron was the head of Cybertron's defense forces while Optimus was the head of the science division under Sentinel Prime. After Sentinel's forces unified the planet, Sentinel backed off and ruled in-name-only while Megatron and Optimus were the de facto dual rulers of Cybertron, with Optimus being groomed as Sentinel's successor since Sentinel knew that Optimus was descended from the Primes. Megatron was jealous of Optimus' lineage and starts to get more authoritarian, demanding to be called the Lord High Protector of Cybertron. The science division ends up unearthing a relic that The Fallen is trapped inside of (this was a plot point dropped from RotF - he's supposed to be stuck in it, having been sealed by the Primes, until Optimus dies, at which time he is able to be released from his imprisonment), who makes a psychic link with Megatron and convinces him that he'll gain power if he follows his orders. Cybertron then falls under invasion from aliens from the Eshems Nebula who want the Allspark and Megatron decides to launch an attack at the aliens' homeworld (Optimus thinks this is wrong and that they should just defend Cybertron instead of go on the attack, which seems really uncharacteristic after movies 2 - 4). The Cybertronians are victorious and Megatron grows paranoid that Optimus' loyalists are trying to undermine him so he claims total power and starts trying to wipe out his opponents, which leads to the civil war.

edit: That said, the likelihood that Michael Bay knows any of this or takes it into consideration is probably nonexistent because it was made up by IDW.

Yeah, but how much of that is actually in the movies, and how much of it is comics/novelizations/other things that don't matter.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't really want to see this at first, but a friend was like "hey, wanna see it?" and I gave in.

It wasn't nearly as bad as ROTF or DOTM, but it's still worse than the first movie. It would probably be the best if it wasn't so long and dragged on forever. I was engaged for the first hour or so, but soon I became bored to tears through most of it and keep looking at my watch waiting for those end credits to finally roll.

The human characters were infinitely more tolerable than Megan Fox, Shia LeBeouf and his obnoxious family. Marky Mark was... dare I say, even likable? The whole jailbait daughter thing kind of creeped me out, though. I also liked John Goodman as Bulkhound and Frasier Crane quitting his radio show so he can be an evil CIA agent.

Optimus Prime is more of a maniac has he ever has been and in fact, all the Autobots were enormous douchebags bordering on being villains to the point where I disliked Crosshairs. Lockdown was cool and I may have been secretly rooting for him. The Dinobots were also fun to watch for the 10 minutes of screen time they had. Also I really don't like the effects used when Galvatron and his crew transform. If they morph using nanomachines, how come they're still all limited to two forms? How come they're not infinite changers?

There was a lot of unintentional humor in this. There's one scene that has product placement that is so incredibly brazen I burst out laughing. A big Bud Light truck crashes and all the bottles are thrown everywhere. The camera focuses on the bottles for a second, then Marky Mark opens one up and takes a swig.

There's also a part where Mark Wahlberg has a gun sword and is on the ground and actually manages to parry Lockdown's blows and able to hold off a giant loving robot's blows. poo poo, I know the guy lifts and has arms the size of beer kegs but drat, that's some upper body strength. And just like Shia and crew, Mark and his gang are superhumans who can survive getting thrown from buildings and through exploding glass and rubble and poo poo and still be totally okay.

It was a bad movie, but this time around it was more laughably bad vs. "I want to claw my own eyes out" bad, so that's an enormous improvement.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way that laughable product placement wasn't intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I mean, the only ones of these I disagree with are probably Picture, Screenplay, and Original Song.