Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Saw this last night with the missus and kids. Holy poo poo was this a product placement fest. Its the first time in a long while I burst out laughing at its obviousness, and it had to be intentional as others in the cinema were also laughing.
Also, is that Chinese milk that billionaire guy took a drink from for TWO WHOLE SCENES while taking up all camera view a real thing? Because if so that was unbelievably ballsy to do that.

Also, best Transformers film so far. Dinobots were loving well worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
One thing I noticed in this film, was the way the Transformers act, talk and behave like they are in a comic book. In the first three films you don't really notice because the human elements are also very comic book like. In this story you have a serious story of Marky Mark and his daughter being introduced to a very pissed of Prime. However the difference in robot behaviour became very apparent when we meet the autobots for the first time who are hiding out. One of the humans (I think its the daughter) says 'what the hell is wrong with them?' That question wasn't posed because the autobots were pissed off or acting out of character, it was because they were being so cartoonish in a serious life threating situation.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
All this product placement talk, it must be said, is starting to give me a headache. Which is why I always use Anadin Extra Plus for fast relief when its really needed.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Daryl Surat posted:

Scorponok is in fact not killed by the military gunship: he is forced to withdraw. It takes quite a bit of damage to kill Transformers in these movies. Recall that he reappears in the finale of the second film, at which point Jetfire kills him.

The problem with this is that your assessment can't possibly be true given that the films are so tremendously successful. Most people are not paying ever-increasing movie ticket prices to watch blockbuster films in the theater ironically or with the intent of subversively arguing that the film's "good" protagonists are actually antagonists or "not good." People pay premiums to watch blockbuster movies for spectacle, since summer action films succeed or fail based on their ability to be spectacular. Despite near-universal seething disdain both critically as well as by hardcore Transformers fans, these Transformers films have been massively, massively successful. We can therefore conclude that lots and lots of people do legitimately enjoy these movies, even though they are not people likely to write reviews or discuss films online.

Because of Transformers specifically, Michael Bay is now the 2nd highest grossing director of all time, and the guy occupying the number one is his executive producer. Success of that sheer magnitude over such an extended period of time--it's been seven years now of these movies--is not something that happens due to advertising hype (maybe for a first movie, but not for a fourth) or people "hate-watching" (too few in number). That kind of success can only come when a substantial amount of people believe that the caliber of action spectacle on display in these movies is simply at a scale and fidelity that surpasses even other blockbuster action pictures. People are going in expecting "a good and fun movie" and having those expectations not only met, but exceeded to the point that they not only buy the films on home video in an age where Netflix/Redbox are the default choices, but come back for the sequels.

It is lazy thinking to write the reason for this off with something dismissive like "well, I guess the masses are asses who'll consume any crap put in front of them," "I guess people just don't know what actual competent film making is," or the ever-popular-in-this-thread "wow, they must accept everything at full face value, no questions asked." We need to actually accept the possibility that lots of people genuinely believe the title of this thread to be true such that--per your terms--they do indeed honestly like the story, the characters, the dialogue, the directing, the music, the special effects, the cinematography, and the action scenes. I happen to be one of these people.

My experience is this, kids loving love these movies, and their parents secretly love to take them to the cinemas to see them.