Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Occultatio posted:

Literally earlier this evening I was getting into an argument with my brother where he was trying to map Transformers to characters from the Iliad and I was getting mad because he thought Odysseus was Megatron and this transitioned into me trying to recapitulate the general thrust of the argument from the original thread and then trying to find it to show him and being very disappointed that it has disappeared from the internet except for the SA archives.

And then, not two hours later, you're back.

Tremendously excited for this to resume, and eagerly awaiting you or anybody else who saved them to find the pdfs from the first thread -- like Jonny Angel I'm seriously considering buying Archives just for this, but there are too many non-SA members I also need to share it with.

P.S.: obviously Odysseus is Bumblebee.

You're right that Megatron isn't Odysseus, he's Che Guevera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Terry van Feleday posted:

making Transformers, of course, the Citizen Kane of dumb action blockblusghuhghhhlllllgrrrrrrrrrrg
Quote of the thread, year, ever.

Terry van Feleday posted:

I guess what it comes down to is that I really don’t blame anyone for broadly rejecting the films. I would be rather more troubled if more people didn’t, really. I simply cannot in good conscience recommend anyone to watch them... And to me, that’s sad. Partially because I see all this incredible work done by the artists and effects team dissipate in a story that cannot properly present it, but mostly because I can say without a hint of irony that I have gained more enjoyment out of Transformers 3 than any single other movie I watched, and it sucked not being able to share that enjoyment with anyone.

Go ahead and recommend to other people to watch the films, at least people willing to put up with otherwise objectionable material in trying to gain a greater understanding. Not to go all :godwin: but Triumph of the Will is a must watch for anyone interested in the history of Cinema, and it's literally Nazi propaganda, there are similar arguments for Birth of a Nation and The Jazz Singer, and for all it's faults, Transformers is no where near as objectionable as any of those movies were, even when they were new.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Terry, I recommend editing your work in this and the previous thread and submitting it to Soft Skull or some other indie publisher.

Danger posted:

Friday the 13th (2009) is one of the best films of the Aughties

I prefer the term Ought-Naughts, because I feel it expresses that decade better. And it has two zeroes.