Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Terry van Feleday posted:

For those of you who have been there: Welcome back. Let’s continue as if nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What is the metapolitical subtext of the pteranodon having two heads

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Devout Christian posted:

72 new posts in the Transformers thread today? I thought a teaser trailer might've been released or someth-- Oh, racist robots.

Goons. :shepicide:

you're really doing this in the thread about analyzing the first three movies?

seriously?

Do you realize how stupid you just made yourself look

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

How the heck does a transforming robot get a buttcape made of metal?

Dotm already had metal undulating fat rolls
We are well past the metal buttcape stage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Psikotik posted:

That looked more like Hungrrrr than Swoop.

leaked shots of the toys show that swoop will be a two headed pteranodon.
Note grimlock has horns or something.
Will there be an explanation as to why the dinobots are almost dinosaurs but not quite? Do the differences have a subtextual meaning or are they simple to look cool? Why weren't such liberties taken with more of the vehicle modes to movie transformers? I have many questions, the two headed pteranodon is baffling to me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

PriorMarcus posted:

They didn't choose the forms to blend in with Dinosaurs but rather to appear as God monsters to ancient man; Chinese dragon, Quezacotl, etc.

This ties into the subtext that modern transformers have taken the forms of what we worship - military might and consumer goods.

This is a disturbingly good interpretation. Has the same subtle mockery of the audience that terry's interpetations have and works in-movie for once given rotf had that baffling part with ancient humans and transformers.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
prior was just making comparisons when name dropping queltz and chinese dragons., just mentioning the existance of god beasts in culture

Neither grimlock nor swoop resemeble either that directly. Chinese dragons are long and sinuous with beards and doglike faces.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do the Dinobots ever look like actual dinosaurs, or is it always a transformation between obviously-robotic dinosaur and obviously-robotic humanoid?

Bay's movies rarely look too carefully at transformer toy past and as usual the bayverse dinobots are doing a bunch of their own things rather than recycling ideas fom twenty or more years ago.

Most iterations of the dinobts are nostalgia grabs and stay pretty close to the originals which were pretty much just robot dinosaurs (animated was the most fun version of this, liu he had a steam shovel jaw). Comics and wfc are kind of more... realistic, but the designs still try to evoke the toys that were released in 1984.

Whereas the movie has its own style, its own dinosaurs (team is mostly carnivores) and its own "realism" (two heads. horns. fins on cheeks).
I don't know, the tenuous connections to the old franchise are kind of the least interesting part of the movies to me and I'm sure I know too much about that anyway. I'm looking forward to terry's thoughts more than the movie.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've never watched a rifftrax, but I find myself more often watching reviews than shows
They're easier to multitask to and I have a hard time picking up subtle or interesting details that they can pick out.
Especially since I don't have time to sit and really really focus on a movie for two hours.
So I guess... kinda? Sometimes I like analysis better than the fiction, especially with the transformers films which are so loud and obnoxious that it's hard to stay tuned in. I guess I fins the ideas behind the analysis interesting, but i do not have fun wtching the films.
Especially since I often end up seeing them with my christain conservative parents. It's hard to find anything that doesn't offend them so the transformer movies are a safe choice. They unironically believe live action prime to be a hero.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

In case you think Drift is the only anime robot this year.

Kind of ironically, windblade is a character made by Hasbro putting up a poll to make a new transformer, with options for names, weapons, altmodes, color schemes... and gender.

So Transformers are a boys only line that shouldn't have female characters because they don't sell and "why should robots have gender, let's just make them all genderlessmale" and all that, and the moment they put up a poll for what buyers want in a new character they all vote "female"

Windblade's going in the IDW continuity, where a previous writer made gendered transformers impossible in an incredibly offensive storyline they've been reluctant to touch.
So to put her in they have to redact that and they're introducing more female transformers along with her - and handing her spotlight to an all-women team of writers and illustrators to make sure it will be handled right this time.

Resulted in kind of a funny moment in the comic where one group of autobots meet two female transformers. Ratchet only notices they're women because they use "her" and "she" as pronouns, and then decides they have other things to worry about and to ask about that later.

oh yeah, the movie.
Kind of odd that the movies are pretty much the crassest and most violent of the Transformers properties with any depth only noticable by older viewers who can see things in context and yet all the toys they've shown are aimed at the youngest of audiences, touting one-step transformation.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 15, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Y'all kind of mistaking michael bay for david willis or simon furman or something.

I'm not guessing, but I bet the answer is going to make everyone mad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well yeah unicron's a likely choice, but vok or whatever other fannish thing is not.

Most of the inspiration comes from the g1 cartoon and the movie, but the movies are really bay doing what HE wants to do. There's been some left fireld things (The Allspark's name is taken from the legendary failure Beast Machines, the Fallen is taken from the crashing and burning Dreamwave comics, the thirteen original transformers seven original primes? are from the tail end of the marvel comics, and drift is an oft-mocked character from idw) but most of those are in name only (the all sparks was a conglomeration of robot souls and not a magic lifegiving box, drift is now based on a japanese PERSON rather than japanese ROBOTS, etc)

I mean the dinobots and constructicons are pretty basic well known things and even they ended up changed like phrases in a game of telephone. Both ended up far more monstrous and changed members around. I'd think in this of all threads it'd be clear Bay is not here to tell you about transformers

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Milky Moor posted:

I still find it weird that there's no female robots present anywhere in the series except for about a total of five minutes in the second film, especially after Hasbro was surprised by the fans designing that new one (Windshield?)

Windblade.

And I highly recommend her comic, it has beautiful artwork and VERY expressive characters so far.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
How would alice be a slave name/robots be oppressed
The Decepticons are not enslaved by people. Alice just dresses up as a human to try to kill sam.

In the comic, there are female Transformers now but other Transformers don't really notice they're different except when they use weird pronouns like "she" and "her" for each other, it's pretty funny.
And it's pretty nice that they're doing that, because a previous author (Simon Furman) attempted to write out the possibility of Transformer gender in an incredibly offensive way (more offensive than anything in the movies, imo, involved a panel that resembled some bizarre rape scene). IDW's really trying to make amends for that by not only introducing more female characters alongside Windblade, her comic is written and drawn by women as well. Again, it's a great comic, far better than you'd expect for such a bizarre fan-voted character (note: she turns into a VTOL plane because it's a pun, she's a fan character and her altmode has fans). MTMTE had already pushed the envelope before that by showing Transformers have a marriage analog, despite all being male except for now four characters, and apparently Hasbro was supportive of one male Transformer telling another "I love you". Kind of a stark contrast to the films where women are compared to dogs and every minority is a stereotype, regardless of whether it's hidden satire or not.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 11, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Ungoal posted:

Are you loving serious?

misspelling shymalan's name used to be more of a trend than it is now, but it's never been more funny than annoying

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
No we shouldn't, this is still a thread about transformers by michael bayalayaboomboom

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's not like calling whedon weedon is a laugh riot that should be repeated either.

And if you've ever used that misspelling you have to hand in your license that allows you to complain about how annoying Whedon Language or how his quips fall flat because you've done something much, much more unfunny and annoying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Also the recent trend of dino modes pretty much being wolverine going feral or hulking out (they get crazed and viscious and lose higher thought but can't be stopped)

The movies don't take many notes from other material except in broad (very broad) strokes, but if grimlock tramsforms and talks to prime I wonder if they'll just make him dumb grimlock or smart grimlock. Given the movies sense of humor (mocking people) dumb grimlock seems likely. It certainly would be the easy way.
A lot of comic material has grimlock being actually a brilliant strategist, though unethical, direct, and aggressive, but seeming dumb at first glance and easily underestimated. Often the pronoun thing is a speech impediment. Usually this is the route if the dinobots were not built or born on earth but instead had a past on cybertron. (except in idw, who was this way for a while but is now dumb grimlock due to brain damage). All this seems overcomplicated for the film and its audience, and smart grimlock has only been in the comics and a video game. Still... it would be nice if he at the very least could have a drat conversation with prime. They could talk about freedom, murder, and severed faces.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Lobok posted:

"Everything Wrong With..." and "Honest Trailers" are basically Coles Notes versions of the Internet's criticisms. You could travel around to several different sites, forums, comment sections, and threads or you can watch one of those videos and be sure you haven't missed any of the arguments that are repeated everywhere.

Oh come on, if you're looking for intelligence or insight you're taking them too seriously, and you "probably shouldn't be allowed to have opinions on movies in general".

Just relax and listen to whiny nerds throwing whiny baby temper tantrums about dumb nerd poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like it when all three movies are getting to their loudest parts near the end and it's getting to be where they can't take it anymore.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Man this thread's more transformers fanwanky than the bss thread.

When viewing tf media I don't really care about all this universal stream and unicron and whatever else is being talked about and just care about whether it tells a fun story on its own.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait holy poo poo did the Transformers toyline just introduce another robot faction named after ancient biblical tribes?

The toys are just mini-cons. The generations toys are homages to past things and then worked into the comics one way or another, usually by showing up and saying something for a panel or two.

James Roberts is probably responsible for naming the Ammonites in the IDW comics. Some characters gave them the name "mini-cons" because they are tiny and want to kill you with guns.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Arquinsiel posted:

They were in the comics way back when though. Whirl ends their war against the Terradores by... being Whirl at him. Hard. I always assumed they were named after the squid-snails though TBH.

You're looking for this guy then

I think they were introduced there as set up for their Dark Cybertron appearances, therefore always meant to be the "mini-cons". The writers knew Dark Cybertron and the toys-with-comics-co-sell thing would be happening, and several other characters have story roles that make more sense as set up for that (Scoop, Rattrap, etc)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They made a new smaller masterpiece optimus, that's probably him
The Megatron is a third party figure. As is the ultra magnus on the other side of the pic (That was, incidentially, the third party figure to my knowledge)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
what exactly is good about sitting around while chicago gets murdered to prove a lovely point.

The entire thing turned out to bite them in the rear end when the humans decided "gently caress autobots" and took care of robot problem themselves

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

Transformers work like those fairytale characters in Fable. If a character is popular enough (meaning more toys to sell), a nuclear bomb won't kill them. If Hasbro runs out of money to make their toys, even one of Soundwave's cassette birds can shoot down Omega Supreme.

Some rumored plot details surfaced. Supposedly, Optimus Prime does what Superman did at the beginning of Superman Returns and went to see what was left of Cybertron. Then he finds out he can still save Cybertron by returning to Earth and obtaining the legendary sword Excalibur that has ties with Cybertronian technology that gave Merlin his magic powers. There's a character named The Creator, and Anthony Hopkins might be voicing him, an Aston Martin robot, or a vespa robot.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-scoop-story-character-details-for-transformers-the-last-knight-905

That would be loving insane
Which I like, like... where do you even begin, where the hell did that idea even come from. It's like a silver age comic book.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well, that is the most they've ever made a movie transformer look like a design from pre existing material.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
takara tomy basically writes really weird fanfiction.
they tried to make a timeline with every cartoon and the live action movies together at once, they had alternity where g1 characters become gods and one of the stories is a backstory for the NES game, and now girl megatron.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Arquinsiel posted:

There's another thread?

bss has the general tramsformers thread. Sometimes it mentions the comics, it's mostly just toy greed though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
You'd think Takara would've learned after Kiss Players

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
poo poo gets weird in revenge of the fallen and gets weirder and weirder.

Tf1 is kind of a weird movie on its own in a "who writing this thought this was a good movie", it was clear the writing team was trying but the writing was below Star Wars prequel tier, like "WERE YOU MASTURBATING IN THERE?"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
He's answered a PM from me or two but 700-page essays do not grow on trees.
It's too bad, I liked Terry's perspectives and how she was still respectful of others opinions.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Volkswagon allows war toys now?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
There's movies that are toy commercials and movies that are just toy commercials
And these days those are your only choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It was fun to have a Megatron who only had a handful of treacherous nitwits at his disposal and was also just some terrorist and not the most powerful overlord of all time. And yet he still almost won despite having to out think his own crew more than the good guys.