Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ungoal posted:

I'm proud to tell a forum full of Bay haters that I'll be there opening day.

This is not a controversial opinion here in the Michael Bay redemption thread. Terry has done more to revitalize my interest in Transformers than any PR team could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Gatts posted:

I find it amusing that in the first it was more seemingly traditional with the Auto bots on the run as heroes but in the second as SMG pointed out Prime becomes a murder machine and is called tyrant. I was really hoping we found out Sam corrupted him but after an awesome ride thanks to SMG and Terry's analysis I'm hoping the last one is actually a majority philosophical character study of Prime amongst his creators ending in faces ripped off.

Well, you know Optimus Prime will kill his creators once he finds them, because that's how he rolls. I think the perfect conclusion to his arc would be for Hot Rod to show up at the end and usurp Optimus. Then you set up Rodimus Prime as the first decent leader of the Autobots, and the subversion is complete.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

A better look at Hound's bumper stickers. It's definitely Hound since these fit him too well.

What a glorious rear end. :allears: Will this be the one where people catch on to Bay making the Autobots psychopaths on purpose, not by accident?

Not that it makes the movies less terrible, but at least they're that way deliberately.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

That dragon could be Megatron, for all we know. Wouldn't be the first or even second dragon Megatron.

That could also be a Terrorcon. They're combiners that showed up after Megatron became Galvatron.

It's worth pointing out since Bay's last combiner gave us robot balls.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Out if nowhere, the official movie Instagram posted this:

Hot Rod appears to be another Lamborghini. Can't let that product placement deal last for just one movie.

Terry van Feleday posted:

Shift in both scene in tone to young Daniel Witwicky (David Mendenhall) and Hot Rod (Judd Nelson).

Not exactly a striking resemblance, but the brand fits. I thought he originally was a Lambo until I looked it up.

Please bear with me since there's nothing to do but speculate on how silly the next movie could get. Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime in the 90s movie. As a Prime, his second form is the bastard child of a sportscar and a truck.

Sadly, as much as I'd love to see a live-action Lamborghini truck, the only larger than regular car they have in the works is this SUV:

The Lamborghini Urus, due for 2017.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 5, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

computer parts posted:

Taking "Gandalf is an alien" to another level.

Cyber-Merlin.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Oh, good, they got another dog. No Transformers movie would be complete without some gratuitous leg humping.

Thanks for finding these shots, MSJ. It's nice being reminded that this thing will soon be upon us.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 17, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

What is with Optimus and faces?

I'm digging the shot of Megatron (?) in the dust storm.

I'm not up on most of the Unicron mythos but, if I remember the G1 movie right, he doesn't so much brainwash or corrupt as he makes you an offer. Megatron could have said no, but he didn't. It looks like Prime could have said no, but doesn't.

It's an offer followed by forced servitude.

Unicron restored Megatron in the G1 movie, and free will wasn't an issue because they both wanted to murder robots and humans.

In the following G1 season, Galvatron had been defeated and Unicron reduced to a talking head. Galvatron wanted revenge on everyone, including Unicron, but suffered terrible pain any time he opposed Unicron.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Perhaps I imagined it but BB3 is next year, isn't it? But Bay's only producing this time...

There's a BB3 and a BB4 in the works for 2018 and 2019 respectively.

I don't know how reliable IMDB is, but they have Bay as producer on 4. He isn't mentioned on 3.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Maybe, but it's less suspicious when it's just one.

I love the lady who tries to explain it away as a wreck.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

is this a pun

Welcome to the insanity enjoying thread where we over-analyze robots ripping faces off of other robots.

Word that this movie will contradict the others in new and dumber ways than before just makes me more excited.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Not in the G1 cartoon canon, which is the only one that counts.

Right, it's in one or both* of the G1 comic books.

*They made a US version and a UK version of the comic with different story lines, the UK one often lifting from the US one. Kid me didn't figure that out before years after having collected from both continuities.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Holy gently caress! They finally did right by Starscream!

The Screamer is the best character in the setting by huge margin, largely thanks to the original voice actor with his hilariously weird voice. It makes me so happy to see him done properly!

Milky Moor posted:

Watching the trailer again, the transformations feel more in line with the first film than the later films, so that's pretty cool. I wonder how much of that came from the director's past as an animator?

That's a good change for sure. The most impressive part of the first Bay movie was the helicopter transformation at the very start. I'd like to see more of that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

By the way, Barricade is also in the movie.

Barricade was Bay's Kenny from South Park. It wouldn't be a Transformers movie without him showing up to die.

I just noticed that in the teaser, Bumblebee even does the classic G1 thing where they transform an arm to manipulate poo poo while in vehicle form. I love it. The last few movies have been okay for dumb explosions and face murdering, but this looks like it'll deliver in a way the others never did.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 5, 2018

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ok the rick roll was funny

Funny yes, but it made me feel ancient when I watched a youtube reaction, to see how the young un's felt about my precious robots, and the Rick Roll flew right over his head.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I really like the design on the red one. Those parts scream Harrier Jet to me though. Harriers typically have those rectangular slits around the sides of their turbines, and the vertical take-off thrusters look like its knees, but I'm no airplane expert.

It's a little odd that they didn't go for existing Decepticon muscle cars like the Stunticons, both because their car forms would have been period appropriate and because the movie is leaning into the G1 designs with Bumblebee and Starscream.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 14, 2018

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

All that effort into making them look like G1, and they don't get a guy with a shrill voice to do Starscream. That's going to bother me because everything else looks top notch.

The Cybertron shots are video gamey like Milkfred said, but it's unavoidable with this aesthetic.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Huh, what a weird choice.

Just a purple palette swap to Blitzwing and his appearance would be in line with everything else they've shown. Either the suits really love that red, or the switcheroo must be a part of the story. Actually, it's most likely they combined Blitzwing and Starscream into one character for the movie to not gently caress with Bay continuity, because Starscream(Blitzwing) is next to his cartoon bros in that scene with Shockwave. All three become the Cybertron flyers from the start of the G1 show. It all makes sense if the character is an amalgamate.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 24, 2018

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Zedd posted:

I rate them on a scale of how psycho Optimus acts so from the ones I've seen: 3 > 4 > 2
Haven't seen TLK yet and 1 is a sorta decent movie boy and his car movie under it all.

It's funny how Bay's series start with a degree of reverence for the Transformers with 1 and ends batshit like TLK. And for some reason, 1 and TLK are the only I really enjoy despite them being complete opposites.

Now... if only Norway could show Bumblebee instead of delaying the premiere to Jan.4th. I'm so envious of you all.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

General Dog posted:

It might just be that they shouldn't have released it to such a crowded field.

This has to be a significant factor, and that it opened during Christmas.

It still hasn't even been shown in Norway because there's no room for it between the other stuff from Hollywood and the Christmas movies they want to re-run over here.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I finally had the chance to see Bumblebee, and yes, it's no wonder this thing is under-performing. It's a children's movie, and not one of those that Pixar might make where there's gags and characters that'll engage the whole family. The plot was just a slice-of-life with a robot, the dialogue was pretty much out of the G1 show with all that entails and so was the action. It was nice seeing the old Transformer designs, but I would've walked out if I had gone alone. It was boring.

The kids loved it though. It would be unfair to call it a bad movie, it just isn't for the same audience as the Bay ones. I should have realized earlier, but when people were talking about the "boy and his car/dog" thing, I expected a repeat of Bay's first Transformers only less loud and aggressive.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

But they liked it when Bay did the exact same thing with the first movie?

Again, let's not forget the difference in tone here. Bumblebee is to Bay's Transformers what the 60s Batman TV show is to any of the Batman movies, or the Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings.

I'm not belittling the movie. It's a saturday-morning cartoon in live-action form. It's intentional, and it pulls it off well. Bay's first Transformers mined the same nostalgia, but no one would attach the description "Spielbergian" to it. One is for 80s kids who want to be upset with Bay while they secretly enjoy his madness, and the other is for their kids.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, good point.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I love it. It's like if Nolan and Burton made Batman movies at the same time.

Then again, two concurrent movie series with mutually exclusive timelines is the most Transformers thing that could happen.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Think of Bays Transformers as our The Room. That's what's happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That flourish when Elita picked up the gun gave me hope for the show. There's so much bland animation in modern TV, it's nice when something comes along where they had time to give it personality.