Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's a special feature from the dvd/blu ray that goes into the sound design of the film. One of the things they take the time to mention is that the sound of the driller as it attacks the tower was a baboon that was screaming to warn it's trainer that someone had stolen his keys.
The driller is literally an animal responding to an injustice.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

When the old thread was still going did we know there was going to be a fourth Bay film yet? I'm curious to see how it fits into the themes Terry has identified.

I don't know if it had been officially announced yet, but if this billboard from Trans4mers is any indication,

It's going to be an absolute treat.

EDIT:
Terry, do you have any plans to talk about Pain & Gain in this thread? It's a pretty big confirmation of everything that's been said in the last thread, not just about the Transformers films but about Bay's mindset in general. I know there's a Pain & Gain thread already but it's mostly just people popping in to say "I thought this movie would suck but it's actually p. cool".

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 25, 2013

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's really quick, but I love when Lockdown mentions that the ship used to belong to Optimus, and Lockdown just commandeered it. What are the odds Optimus already had Grimlock and the other Dinobots hung upside-down in cages when Lockdown took command?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

How many times does Optimus say "I'll kill you," or some variation of this?

Six-ish. Twice to Cade and his family, and once to a Robot in Hong Kong. He also says "he's going to die" regarding Kelsy Grammer, "I'll tear them apart!" before they invade the KSI factory, and "help me rescue my family or die" to Grimlock.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Prime's just defective, and is being recalled like any other broken toy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I can't believe how brazenly these films disregard things like continuity.

Bay did a cool interview for the New York Times where he sat down and watched his favorite movie (West Side Story) with the interview and talked about that a little:

quote:

''What I like about musicals is that they break the rules of cinema,'' Mr. Bay said. ''You know what I'm saying? The old rules of editing where, it's said, you must cut from this to this. You can't cut from here to there. You can't place the camera there; you have to place it here. When I do my action movies, I break the rules, too. That's one thing musicals and big action movies have in common. With both of them, you can break the rules. One of the things that can make them exciting is that you are breaking the rules.''

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ostiosis posted:

Yonic Megatron is amazing.

And canon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I hope Optimus is the final boss of this one. Wanna see him try to kill Marky Mark and Bumblebee.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

With that big horn growing out of the ground, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the Earth is Unicron thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

ah, yes, an r-rated bumblebee film

Just put him in Inglorious Basterds. Let Bumblebee kill Hitler.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alienwarehouse posted:

...so that that floating metal girl talking to Prime is a "creator?"

Prime's going to stop trying to destroy the earth when he realizes Mark Wahlberg's mother is also named Quintessa.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't appear in TF4.

But, as of this one, he'll be the non-robot character to appear in the most number of films, I believe. TF1, 2, 3 and 5.

Simmons is in 5 too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Megatron's opinion of Earth.

Literally. Earth is the Space Devil and one of the reasons Megatron wants to leave is so he can destroy it. This leads to the awesome and bizarre situation where Megatron is trying to kill Satan, but Optimus decides to save him because he happens to live on his back.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Also the Knights of Cybertron calling her the Great Deceiver when she appears to be anything but.
Well, they are the dudes who decided [extreme closeup of bloody sword] was extremely their poo poo, so maybe not the best judges of character.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

This was also the name of a US program to shut down Iran's infrastructure with cyber attacks in case they ever started firing up nukes

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Not enough love for The Island

I feel like it would have a better rep if critics realized it was about consumer culture, and not actually about cloning.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

the T-Rex lives in a burrow that he dug for himself.
Or for herself? Where do baby dinobots come from?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bay's been trying to get an aircraft carrier robot into the movies since the first one, so there's still hope when he inevitably changes his mind and comes back for #6.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

Also why is Cybertron so green?

It's because Cybertron is Earth's opposite. Cybertron is robotic on the outside, but green on the inside, while Earth is green on the outside and a robot on the inside.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Battuta posted:

In 5 he finds God and tries to kill her. She mind controls him and he doesn't break free until one of his soldiers volunteers to die on his sword. Etc, etc. They read like they were written to give Terry material.

Also Optimus' Mother/God lives in what seems to be the only part of his planet that grows organic plant life, and she's wants to destroy Earth because it's literally Satan.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Any Bumblebee that doesn't rip out a cat's spine and use it to whip another robot is not my Bumblebee.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I wonder how the bit in Bumblebee, where Bee wakes up and he's in angry red-eye Decepticon mode and he just starts wasting people but then his eyes turn blue again an he becomes a nice Autobot factors into the Terry reading.

To me, that seemed thematically connected to Charlie using the power of "gun" to reboot him. It briefly reverted him to the default state of a Transformer, which is red-eyed violence (as seen with the newborn robots created by the Allspark in the other films).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

G1 optimus: idealized/idolized heroic father figure

Movie optimus: what your trumpist boomer dad fantasizes he is/would do to "the libs" if given a chance

Edit: letting millions of humans die to prove a point = "suffering builds character"

Optimus was also partially based on John Wayne, so G1 Prime would be John Wayne in movies, while Movie Optimus is John Wayne in real life.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Notably, a big chunk of the anecdote is about the people overseeing the production and making sure that everyone was following the rules. So my take is a lot like how Fox seems to take it: she found it amusing that she ended up working on a very crass movie, and that Bay apparently just treated her with indifference.

This is the only shot, lasting about one second, in which Fox actually appears in the film:

Also, the people doing the extras casting shouldn't have put a 15 year old in that scene in the first place. The moral thing to do might have been to ask her to come back on a different day for a different scene or just fire her altogether, but Bay needed to solve the immediate problem being presented: The actor legally can't be at the bar. Based on the requirements of the scene, the other options are to have her dancing somewhere, or doing drugs somewhere.

BTS interviews have also provided context for the environment of the shoot - most of the dancing was done by the second unit without Bay even being on the set, and despite a bunch of scantily clad women walking around everywhere, the whole thing was a fairly mechanical process of moving from take to take because it's a bunch of people under hot lights all day shooting the same 5 minutes of club footage over and over again.

It's hosed up that the Hollywood machine functions in a way that allows her to even be in that scene, but it's disingenuous to paint Bay as the sole culprit, especially when Megan Fox's episode of Two and a Half Men aired a few months after Bad Boys 2 was released, and the premise of the episode was that Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer wanted to gently caress a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ILM actually posted their concept art for that, though due to budget and time-induced design restrictions it probably isn't actually compatible with what ended up onscreen.