Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I pointed it out in the last thread, but now it struck me again. While I found RotF a hard to watch blurry mess that bored me with action scenes, in this final action sequence everything is crystal clear. The visual overload comes from the amount of things happening on the periphery, rather than any obfuscation - yet shots clearly have a centre for you to focus on. On the periphery, the motions of the characters feel incredibly real and clever. You're not watching the focus of a particular scene while everything mostly stands still, you are the spectator of real combat... but framed in such a way that you can always easily focus on the thing at hand. The other combatants act consistently and they are not ignored by the movie, even if they are initially ignored by your eye.

When I first watched the movie, I found it so immensely boring I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. The previous thread made me try again, and that time I spent at least an hour on just those 15 minutes. I had to see what every character did.

One of my favourite shots is at 6:17 in the linked video (relinking for the new page http://vimeo.com/75690695). I love Bumblebee's movement here. He's not just a giant robot, he's a transformer. It's also kind of like a reverse version of what happens at 20 seconds into the G1 intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQtMVJKBFc

The beginning with the soldiers also feels wrong to me. Terry pointed it out but it's very striking to me. It's not triumphant. It doesn't feel like the underdogs finally getting the upper hand over their oppressors. To me it feels like majestic creatures being hounded and mercilessly butchered after being rendered helpless and pathetic.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU