Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is the best loving forum.

EDIT: Based on the analysis in this thread, I would put the Transformers movies in the same category as 300: Movies that simultaneously are propaganda but also reveal themselves as in universe propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is going to be loving bananas. Bay has that almost unique ability, no matter how old I get or how jaded I think I am, to make me feel 8 whenever a trailer of his hits.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This seems like the thread that would know, is there any reason Bad Boys II is so hard to find on Blu-Ray? Did it ever even get released?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Considering the first two seasons of Generation 1 TV shows were literally introducing a new character each episode so kids would buy more toys, only to have most of them killed off in the movie, to yet sell even MORE toys......yah knowing what each one is called isn't a big deal. Especially since the Bay movies cut out and introduce autobots randomly.

You've also got things like Volt and Arcee vanishing between movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That part bothered myself and my fiancée as well. No death scenes, no nothing. Just now they are here and now they aren't.

Volt was only in there to advertise whatever car he turned into. I don't remember which one. The Arcee twins vanished because one of them was dead and it would have been awkward to have the other two around after that.

The new one is incredible. At one point, after Punching out Grimlock, Optimus Yells "You're free, now follow me." at this point, not realising what Optimus is is just wilfully not engaging with the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leospeare posted:

There's also the human replicant-bot who tries to seduce Sam for inexplicable reasons.

To get the...thing...that he had...that...Was Sam carrying the pyramids in that movie?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

There was a weird thing I noticed in Age of Extinction that was really noticible in contrast with the first trilogy:

There's a ... I don't want to say perverse because of the irony involved ... level of attention given to not framing the camera around the Male Gaze despite NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES. Like, one line of dialogue has Marky Mark bemoaning the shortness of his daughter's jeans (the pockets hang below the cut), and there's a shot of her pants that crops her rear end entirely out of the frame.

It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it's constant and really out of character for Bay. Overall, AoE really isn't, like, offensive (except for Drift, maybe, and he's supposed to be a weeaboo.)

I wonder what that means. Terry, we need you!

I thought the parody was that Marky Mark has been sexualised his entire career, especially to girls about his film daughter's age, and now he's a dad, so sex is this terrifying thing for him now. As the first three parodied Sam's viewpoint, this is parodying Cade's, where he's desexualising the same sort of character he would have been all over earlier in his life.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I always thought it was really obvious that the Autobots were the ruling class back on Cybertron. Every one of them turns into a high end consumer vehicles. Even Ironhide, who used to turn into a van, now turns into a ridiculously expensive SUV, the very symbol of American middle class excess. Meanwhile the Decepticons, almost to a man, turn into workhorses. Even those who turn into military vehicles turn into working vehicles, like a transport helicopter or a mine clearing vehicle. The two exceptions are Brawl, who looks like a Lego man with the guns on (seriously, his face is so wide, honest and totally not a villain's face) and Starscream, who turns into the poster child for American military overspending, representing his fearsome appearance but general ineffectiveness. When Megatron turns into a truck he is what Ram pitches as "not fancy, but will get the job done, while Prime turns into a truck that costs literally twice what Megatron's does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is a common reaction. The Autobots are good, the Decepticons are bad. Anything that contradicts that is a mistake by Michael Bay, who is, of course, a big dumb idiot. As if he's accidentally made these films three times in a row.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The filmmakers built upon the cultural understanding that Prime is a hero and Megatron is the villain by ensuring that Prime acts as a hero and Megatron acts like a villain. Any half-developed notions that Prime may not be the hero (and that Megatron might not be the villain) are made moot by that cultural understanding.
Anything that contradicts what you're saying is moot because of the thing you said.

MisterBibs posted:

You know, because that's what the Autobots prevented for eons: the whole Megatron-Taking-Over-Everything-Because-That's-What-He-Does thing.

According to the Autobots.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Yup. The trustworthy ones. As opposed to Megatron and the Decepticons, which are not trustworthy. :ms:
Do you know what recursive reasoning is? And why it's bad?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

Now you're just making things up.

No, Optimus says that. And you can totally believe him because he keeps cutting faces apart. Also because he told you he's trustworthy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's a level on which this is kind of impressive

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

As far as I can tell the "libertarians" calling for small government are often the same ones shouting "support our troops". I think he was hilighting a very particular form of cognitive dissonance that parts of American culture tries very hard to ignore.

It's kind of a mainstay of his films
"You two motherfuckers need Jesus. Cover your ears babies"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's the point. The robots have always been CGI, but there was an aesthetic to it. As I've always said, they look like sentient explosions in the best possible way.

Like, this poo poo is beautiful. I want that as a sculpture. Not an action figure - I mean full size, in the town square.

What the 'knockoff' transformers show is that this chunky, difficult, mechanical transformation is the soul of the creatures. Even if it was CGI, it refers to real, physical work.

Woah.
Seriously, is this all off the cuff, or have you filled tomes with your interpretation of movies?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He literally shouts that they're free...to follow him...or he'll kill them.

Bay's Optimus is the best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Pretty sure Marky Mark is confirmed back

He's not going to miss his first ticket back on the blockbuster train since 2000.

Then again, he also willingly put his name on Entourage for loving years.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The entire concept behind Entourage is based on him and his real life entourage (which show up in the show a few times and also in the movie, you can see them at the end of the trailer)

I know that. And it in no way accounts for the fact that it's a terrible loving show. It's a drama without any drama (aside from his less talented brother played by someone's less talented brother) and a comedy without any jokes. It was best described years ago as a show about friendship written by someone who doesn't have any friends.

ungulateman posted:

I know I'm exhuming a corpse here, but I watched T4 last night and I think I've 'got' something, and hilariously enough it ties back into the boyfriend dude's weird habit of carrying around the Statute of Limitations.

It's a driver's license. It's a piece of paper/plastic which defines what you can and can't do with another sentient being which you theoretically have power over. Except, since this is Transformers, you don't have power over your car at all. Optimus Prime puts himself above both human and Transformer law for what he thinks is right, not that we have any real evidence of this. The 'bounty hunter' is basically a space cop with extended powers of attorney.

Optimus Prime is DUI without a license is what I'm trying to get at here.
I think you're bang on the money, here. The villain of the movie is a guy going "seriously, stop acting completely loving bonkers." and Prime's reaction is to blow up several cities, stab the guy in the face and then leave the planet to go kill god.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is one of the best threads I've ever read and I remain heartbroken that part 4 is yet to be covered.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

today has been a good day.

today has been a very good day.

pictured: the idea of transformers

Who are you quoting there? That is hysterical.

The funny thing about people looking up to Optimus is that he's kind of a blank slate in a lot of his incarnations. He looks like a leader and kind of sounds like one, but he never gets out of the archetype mold early on. I kind of like the idea that Bay's Prime is just him if you gave him a Facebook comments section to play around in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

That's probably what's got me most excited for this movie, though I'm unsure of how far they'll go with it.
Optimus described pre-civil Cybertronian civilization to Sam and Mikela as a "peaceful empire" which is a really curious phrase to use when advocating freedom for all. Didn't he yammer something at some point about self-determination before blowing up an "illegal middle east nuclear site (probably in Carbombya)" in a later film?

Yeah. gently caress, 'peaceful empire' is up there as one of those fantastically paradoxical concepts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I swear these movies are just loving with people sometimes, in this obligatory oft-repeated hero shot Optimus grabs Marky Mark's daughter and, instead of shielding her, drives her headfirst through a truck. I can't imagine Bay or anyone else saying 'yeah just do something obviously fatal but have her live cause lol', but on the other hand, with all the person-hours that go into CGI you've got to imagine this was sort of on purpose.

e: lol he grabs her, has her kind of 'safe' by Transformers standards, passes her off to his other hand, and extends and turns the arm to make her impact head-first. Optimus is playing with his toys :bandwagon:

That scene also features bumblebee blasting all his weaponry straight into the scene of a pile up that occured about 5 seconds earlier, and is undoubtedly full of very confused, soon to be pulped civilians.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Don't forget the consecutive shots of Apollo 11 with and without the Lunar Module. These are VFX shots! They were specifically made that way! Michael Bay approved them, probably over a chorus of ILM nerds from the Historical Sticklers' Society going "No, actually..."

Wasn't this people not differentiating between the various stages of launch properly and just kind of assuming Bay got it wrong?

Yes, it was.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
yeah, consistently editing in such a way that we just kind of gloss over the casualties of hi-tech destruction feels like the exact sort of satirical statement Bay would make.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Yeah, the glossed over deaths is perfectly harmonised with the fights in the 'totally abandoned city'.

"The city has been evacuated"
Except American Sniper was only partially fictionalised.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

No, it wasn't. The LM is absent from the Command/Service Module stack on the way to the moon and then appears in the next shot.

Actually, it was the final launch stage in the first shot, and the landing stage in the second. Apollo changed configuration in the later stages of the journey. The landing module was well inside, protected, for the launch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
letitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrue...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Bay since you're reading this thread I just want to say thanks.

I want to tell him that he's very tall.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I guess 'DON'T YOU FUCKS GET IT? PLEASE GET IT. PLEASE' was a bit too long for a tagline.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
"We're really looking to the lore this time" is this series version of the DCU's "This one's going to be a lot more fun"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He turns the tables not by being smart or charming or brave, but by acquiring a super nice car, that is friends with other super nice cars. The best indicator of what Bay is doing is how Ratchet, once an ambulance, and Ironhide, once a van, are now a Humvee and a high end, oversized SUV respectively, the two symbols of American consumerism and toxic masculinity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Exactly. The direct implication is that Megatron is the stand-in for Megan Fox's father.

I thought the direct implication was that the Autobots were a ruling class, especially since the decepticons are overwhelmingly working vehicles. The one exception is Starscream, who i figure was an aristocrat who changed sides.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are they planning on revealing what in the absolute holy balls the Nazi Buckingham Palace stuff has to do with anything, or will we have to wait until release date to see what the hell that's all about?

I hope not. I hope it still makes no sense on multiple rewatches. I hope we just randomly cut to Nazis exploding for a few minutes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I am really, really looking forward to reading a thinkpiece on how this movie is 'too PC' thus eroding that term's last shred of meaning.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

You read the comments on the video, didn't you?

Better version of that trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwi_ahOb20

I did not. I no longer have to. It's like being Cassandra, except I can just predict who commentors are going to call oval office-human being-friend of the family. It kind of sucks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's kind of like Stephen Fry being a huge Arnold Schwarzenegger fan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Holy poo poo, it's the imagination of a sugared up 9 year old in video form.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He got turned into Galvatron (human controlled) but broke free. He was last see escaping into the woods somewhere in China?

Yelling about how someone stole his seed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This movie looks loving insane. I cannot wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Why? Why is it 3 god drat hours long? Without a loving intermission? I'm going to have to piss in one of my cups.

Dude, that's gross.

piss in someone else's cup. Goddamn.