Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

verybad posted:

The story is framed as the only survivor of the 300 telling their story on the eve of battle to raise the morale of the troops.

A survivor who very explicitly wasn't anywhere near the final battle when it took place. Or any of the court scenes. Or the creeper temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Szmitten posted:

:golfclap:

Also, when you were talking about the escalation of crassness, I was reminded of criticism in that vein regarding Pain and Gain with some of it being borderline malicious, apparently.

Good job finishing this. Last year I was inspired and was so so tempted to go through the Matrix trilogy in a similar way but ran out of time/steam. The themes of belief and realities are the inverse of what you'd think, and the climax of Revolutions is super-loving-meta. :eng101:

Do it anyway. I haven't watched those films in years and plenty of people here will be willing to fill in the gaps.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, but it triggers me. I'm being flip but I'm less likely to revisit it because I just find myself squirming in my seat to watch it.

Do you not watch horror movies?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

I can definitely understand not rewatching (or even initially watching), say Redneck Zombies or Vampiyaz, but something on the budget level of Transformers should be able to either not have the content or handle it in a way that it doesn't make huge swathes of the population embarrassed to be in the theater.

So cinema should only make you feel certain things relative to its budget?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Maarak posted:

There's a wide gulf between simulated violence and minstrelsy, even if the intent is to skewer American pop culture.

Where does sex fit into this scale this is helpful

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Lord of the Rings is pretty racist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corek posted:

Sorry, I just felt like the actual implications of the twins were being forgotten. I don't acquiesce to racists, but I do acknowlege them.

If you thought that sort of racism was in the past, Michael Bay's movie has shown you otherwise. It's like shining a spotlight on the audience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's like being offended at Johnny Depp's Tonto

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There really should be a ban on personal attacks on this forum.

It's ridiculous how often actual criticism (both accurate and wildly off the mark) is dismissed with a bunch of accusations and name calling.

If you disagree with someone's conclusions explain why you big stupid dumb heads.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WastedJoker posted:

The transformations/battles still look cluttered and messy as the first films, imo

Good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why don't the Dinobots have feathers?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rita Repulsa posted:

I'm looking forward to terry's thoughts more than the movie.

You're the kind of person that will watch the rifftrax version of a movie instead of the original, aren't you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
30 Rock?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

I give H.G. Wells a pass on the martian thing because TBH the book had gotten boring at that point and I was happy just to see the end of it. Also we hadn't really gotten that great a handle on it ourselves 1897, and antibiotics being relevant outside military use wasn't really a thing until post WWII. The examples you mention from Transformers are choices rather than technological limitations though. They have the technology to watch recorded entertainment (and I'd argue that Rewind DOES watch it, in his own perverse way) and Rung had his entire head rebuilt after Swerve shot him so if he kept them it was personal choice and also serves as another convenient reference to Carl Jung for the character. Neither of these things are the deux ex that resolves the plot, though Rung's alt mode being "decorate" might be down the line when he also has the choice of changing that right now. Also it's kind of hard to make a case for not being able to make glass prisms. They aren't exactly high-tech, even if you can come up with some reason that they didn't realise you could use them to determine the composition of a thing by looking at the light it reflects.

Deus ex machina in a film about faith. Disgusting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

also lol if you legit believe Hopkins sat through more than 5 minutes of any of that poo poo

Are you calling him a liar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All films are art.