Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Chucat posted:

Are there ways in which 300 is "in universe propaganda" for reasons other than the ones that make people familiar with the history cringe but would make sense in a "Spartans are the most badass guys ever." context? Since if there are, I'd actually really love to hear them.

The story of the film is framed as the only survivor of the 300 telling it on the eve of battle to raise the morale of the troops.

verybad fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Chucat posted:

Yeah I remember that part as well, which is what justified all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, since he was just blatantly exaggerating so they'd feel even better about fighting weaker, crappier Persians who didn't have giant crab men with them.

I guess I don't understand the question then.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

My first thought was 'Oh, that must be an evil version of Optimus' but, wow, if that's the direction they're taking him...

Evil version of Optimus is just Optimus, though.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Devout Christian posted:

72 new posts in the Transformers thread today? I thought a teaser trailer might've been released or someth-- Oh, racist robots.

Goons. :shepicide:

Ugh, people are discussing a movie in this thread, instead of fawning over a commercial? How terrible.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

"We have FTL travel but not spectroscopes" is plenty pothole to me.

No one being around to hear "Rosebud" is a plot hole, and also completely loving irrelevant. What you have here, if I were to hazard a guess, is autism.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

You have just compared Signs favourably to Citizen Kane and decided that I am autistic because a poorly executed symbol has irritated enough people who watched a film for it to be the prevailing opinion even after having that symbol deconstructed in a thread for analysing a vehicle for selling toys to children shot by shot.

I recant my dislike for the hamfisted execution of faith triumphing over adversity via deus ex machina, clearly you are correct.

Yes, Signs can be favorably compared to Citizen Kane. It's still probably the worse film of the two, which would seem to suggest that those aspects aren't a very important part of what makes a film good, ie. plot holes don't matter. Now I'm sure there are certain kind of people who are genuinely bothered by plot holes to such an extent that they can't enjoy a good story and I call them autists but honestly I'm not an expert on autism so you definitely should not take my word for it, I'm most likely misusing the term because I find it funny. For the rest though, plot holes are just a convenient bullshit explanation for why they thought a film was bad.

So, you know, pick whichever you like.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

I did not enjoy Signs at all, even before the water part, I just understood what the film was trying to say. What mental disorder are you going to diagnose me with?

Good taste.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

It's a terrible affliction. There is no cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Sometimes, on these forums, you see someone arguing a point of view that is completely loving mental, and you wonder: "is this guy for real?" Then you take a look at that guy's rap sheet and you know: yes, he is.