Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

bushisms.txt posted:

Is there anyway someone can upload the first thread somewhere? I don't have archives, but that thread was amazing, and I have some friends I want to send it to, but sending a forum link isn't appealing.

Fat Lou made them into PDFs, he just hasn't logged on since the thread was posted, but I'm sure he will soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

loving blink and you'll miss it.
They mention "send out the Arcee triplets" or something like that, but yeah it's for like 5 minutes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Saw this tonight and its one of the worst movies ive seen in a long time and easily the worst Michael Bay movie, even worse than The Island.

Nearly nothing made sense! The story was just jumping around all over the goddamn place and you were just supposed to sit along for the ride. What was up with the secret desert base? How was Optimus in one moment a giant broken piece of poo poo and he suddenly scans a new truck and is back to normal, in fact upgraded. Why did the robots from space want to capture him - something about his makers being mad? Why?

How did Optimus know about the Dinobots in China? How convenient for them to be there! Is there pockets of Dinobots all around the globe now?

The product placement was beyond anything I have seen. Literal slow motion shots so a Bud Light truck can drive through or so you can get the Hong Kong tourism information, or that one guys Gucci glasses. The list goes on. It was all poo poo.

Everything about this movie is terrible poo poo. I went in thinking it'd be alright since a few here said they liked it last week. But I just kept getting more annoyed as the movie went on. gently caress this poo poo!

Maybe you should have actually watched the movie instead of going blind from your seething hate-boner for Michael Bay.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think the Bayhem label works because he uses those shots whether the scene calls for them or not. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but he just haphazardly uses these "cool" techniques without really understanding them, which is a form of filmmaking mayhem.
Every shot Michael Bay chooses is for a reason, he's a director. He's been making films (including commercials) for a long time, he does "understand" them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Terry's exhaustive interpretation is getting around:

http://www.alcohollywood.com/fresh-pour-transformers-age-of-extinction-2014-tammy-2014/

"First, the obvious: the movie is way too drat long. Even me, someone who is going to be very generous because of the oppositional reading I tend to take toward the Transformers films, started to get absolutely bored around the two-hour mark. Bay himself has tempered his normally-chaotic action scenes with a bit more finesse, producing some very fine action work. Howevoer, it all amounts to so much sensory overload, without any real breaks (particularly in the last hour of the film) to be able to make sense of what’s going on. The plot is incredibly convoluted, creating a redundantly international chase movie that juggles a million subplots and villains of dubious connection to one another.

Now, to the good stuff: the movie works as a wonderful follow-up to the original trilogy’s conceit that Optimus Prime is a hypocritical, murderous cult-leader psychopath who lies to get what he wants. His initial form in the first act of the movie is almost literally the scary rusty truck from Steven Spielberg’s Duel. There’s nary a scene in the film when he doesn’t threaten to murder someone (his first words in the film are “I’LL KILL YOU! I’LL KILL YOU! I’LL KILL YOU!” – he says this to the human protagonists, mind you), and his platitudes of “fighting with honor” and all that are almost immediately followed by ripping a Transformer’s face off. Any illusions that the Autobots are the good guys, and that Bay is making a ‘bad choice’ by having the ostensible hero be such a monster is missing the point; he is a monster.

The biggest thing people seem to miss about the Transformers series is its inherent nihilism – no one in the series is a good person/robot, even the ones that claim they are. His methods aside, Kelsey Grammar’s character is right to believe that the Transformers only bring death and destruction to humanity. Stanley Tucci’s sudden third-act turn to ‘good guy’ completely ignores the fact that he’s a bloodthirsty industrialist who definitely tortures living robots in his labs. Whereas Shia LaBeouf’s character Sam in the first three films related most closely to Bumblebee’s impulsiveness and immaturity, here it’s Optimus and Cade who form the closest kinship – of course, this is because both characters are overbearing, aggressive control freaks who are deathly afraid of their “children” not needing them anymore. Optimus is placed in the same position he put Megatron in by the end of the first trilogy – a hurt, angry outcast on the run from overbearing state forces that simply want to hunt them down for being different. The fact that it’s not the typical Autobots vs. Decepticon fight, and instead the Autobots fighting industry and their own obsolescence, lends the major conflict a few more interesting shades of gray. (The main Transformer villain, Lockdown, alludes to ‘creators’ who desperately want Optimus Prime back, presumably for his apparent war crimes.)

Age of Extinction is also particularly self-reflexive in its status as a consumer product; Bay seems to find wonderfully tongue-in-cheek ways to remind the audience of the film’s status as something meant to sell you things, and the danger that represents. One interesting shot likens Transformers to a My Little Pony doll, which then morphs into a machine gun because of swirly Transformer magic – a toy literally becomes a weapon. On top of that, there’s an early scene in the old movie theater where an old guy complains about how it’s all “remakes and sequels” now, while looking at a poster for Howard Hawks’ El Dorado (itself a remake). The film itself takes on the attitude of blockbuster film executives, cramming in every possible product placement they can – all framed around scenes of horrific violence. A Bud Light van is toppled by an alien spacecraft, and our hero Mark Wahlberg shoves an alien gun in an innocent man’s face before drinking from one. A bus with the Victoria’s Secret logo is absolutely cored out by a Transformers fight. The entire third act takes place in Hong Kong, China, acknowledging the rising foreign market and pandering to it as well. These things and more couch the blatant consumerism of Hasbro and Paramount Pictures in a swirl of explosions and violence, explicitly likening the presence of consumerism to utter chaos and destruction.

Simply put, Transformers: Age of Extinction is far from a perfect film, and all the exhausting Michael Bay overload is still present. Still, the film presents the odious facets of its world (and our own) so brazenly and confidently that I find it very difficult to write it off as ‘dumb’ or ‘lazy.’ It’s a movie that self-reflexively examines its own relationship as a consumerist product, and points out the hypocrisy of its own conservatism. For that alone, I can’t help but admire it on some level."

Wasn't Nightbird just a straight up ninja robot, not a transformer?

Clint from Alcohollywood is Hewlett on SA.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kaytwo posted:

I saw it in both 3D and 2D and I thought the latter was better, especially during the action scenes.

There's a large difference between IMAX 3D and regular 3D, especially since this was shot with IMAX 3D cameras.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Apparently this mysterious bystander was in the final battle scene.

What the gently caress? How do I not remember this at all? :psyduck:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope Bay comes back. I know he wants to do more smaller projects like Pain & Gain but he's done such an amazing hosed up job with the series so far I can't imagine anyone else finishing it. Especially with the last one literally ending with Optimus Prime flying off Earth to kill its God.

I mean, given how much money the series made I imagine Bay can pretty much ask for whatever the gently caress he wants and get it. You also have a pretty clear end on 4 so 5 can bring a whole new cast if Marky Mark doesn't want to come back.

Pretty sure Marky Mark is confirmed back

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4rYf0x-F4

Hahaha Optimus is literally the villain

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Bay since you're reading this thread I just want to say thanks.

:yeah:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The last Transformers movie also had the switching aspect ratios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hedenius posted:

Are you arguing that quality doesn't matter when it comes to burgers or that it's impossible to make a better burger than McDonald's?

It's the former. He's had this exact argument in another thread, it was just as stupid there.

Money made = quality is Bib's entire shtick.