Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't like these movies except for Bumblebee but by happenstance I ended up working on this movie. Rise of the Beasts at least had comprehensible action scenes. Emotionally was kind of flat, even though they tried to make us feel so bad for the main characters.

Animating a transformation sequence is one of the most difficult things to do in the entire animation/vfx industry. Insanely challenging, and everyone who managed to do one is a demon. Every single bit of efficiency I thought would exist to make that sort of automated does not exist. It's just the product of being to visualize how a robot becomes a car and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought the main difference was the first had more stationary transformations, but as the films went on they got much more into having them transform while moving.

There’s one of the later movies where certain robots transform by just turning into a bunch of cubes and then reforming as a different thing. Which probably caused it’s own issues for the fx department but spared the animators some pain.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would like a transformers movie that just looks exactly like the cybertron scene from Bumblebee. That was some pretty full cg shots.

Transformers One looks nice, though I'm not a huge fan of the smooth metal faces that can somehow contort in a human way. It'd be nice if there was some texture work that make it look as if their faces were made of pieces of metal. But I'd much rather animate those designs than the super complicated ones from the vfx films.