Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

First of all, :golfclap: to our tour guide through this mad trilogy, Terry van Feleday. I've been reading your thread since you started the original and I've loved every single update. The thoughtfulness of your analyses and the ways in which you elucidate the strangeness of the Transformers films (and, on a more basic level, their failure to present their "protagonists," Sam/the Autobots, as dynamic, sympathetic characters and instead create a sympathetic character out of the villain) is remarkable, and to be commended. I look forward to seeing what you glean from the fourth Transformers flick.

When you consider the violence the Bay Autobots commit on their fellow Transformers from their perspective, it's grotesque, and absolutely psychotic. As far as I know, the other iterations of these robots-in-disguise have never been so gleefully barbaric. For example, the most recent Transformers game, Fall of Cybertron, we see an Optimus Prime who, in many ways, resembles Bay's Megatron. All he wants is to ensure that his species can live on, but his opponent craves nothing more than eternal war and domination. We see this idealogy with all of the Autobots, (who are actually pretty sympathetic here, go figure), and it's something that's even reflected in their random dialogue. When a Decepticon character kills a random Autobot mook, they celebrate and taunt the deceased. When Optimus Prime does it, his call-outs are reflective spots of remorse, things like, "Regrettable, but necessary."

In fact, if you check the IMDB page for Optimus Prime, nearly all of his quotes are oriented around that sort of thing: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0003342/quotes Optimus Prime is a gentle soul who will answer the call to action if necessary. Above all else he values friendship and freedom.

Bay's Optimus is a stone-cold mothafuckin' killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU