Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

So what is it about Transformers that both Americans and Chinese really really love it?

Like even more so than the Japanese who created it?

Action films always tend to do better on a foreign scale because most require very little translation. Sometimes they don't even bother providing subtitles. There are Asian theaters where it is literally just one guy with a microphone doing his best to translate the dialogue in between explosions. Most watching won't really care much about the dialogue anyway seeing as how they only came for the CGI booms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Sure, but the film was also made in a certain way. Just like how the second film ended with the last big image being Optimus tearing out another robot's heart/soul, the third film ended with Optimus decapitating someone wishing for a truce and executing a defenceless old man robot, the fourth film ends with Optimus stabbing someone in the back and saying 'honor until the end' or whatever. Optimus doesn't win the fight, Lockdown loses it.

And yet at the end of the film he lets the Dinobots roam free on Earth? This is the worst "hero" cinema history.

Please, Bay, make the fifth film all about how Decepticons and humans band together to kick Optimus Prime off of Earth.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

api call girl posted:

Humans tried holding Transformers captive. It didn't work out.

Why don't the Autobots just hold the Decepticons captive? Since they're the only ones who match them in strength and they pretty much brought these battles to Earth with them, why not charge them with cleaning up the mess? Or are the Autobots just real buttholes when they're not battling Decepticons?

I'm guessing the one thought going through Optimus Prime's head when he shot the villain in Dark of the Moon was "drat, I don't want to be responsible for keeping this guy locked up or go to all the trouble of sending him off the planet. I'll just kill him now and say it was an honor thing. Yeah, that's the ticket."

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

The Transformations are still just as complex but they happen faster. I don't think they were all slow and jaw dropping in the first film either. Also in the second film there's Devastator coming together which is probably the most complex and detailed transformation of all of the films.

Devastator was far too much detail for what amounted to a brief and stupid joke. The character itself was so large and complex it had to be rendered on multiple machines in which more than two overheated and fried. All that work for a mess of moving of moving parts that culminates as a testicle joke.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Zedd posted:

A bit late but I saw Age of Extinction this week and I know I am probably influenced by Terry's and other people 's reading in this. But when Optimus went Honor till the end while killing Lockdown I just went. :stare:

More than his vow to protect the Earth after allowing giant, destructive Dinobots to roam free in China?

"We will protect all of humanity...except China. They don't count."

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

"For your consideration in all categories"

But no acting ones.

They didn't want the Academy to laugh harder at them for including those categories.

BEST ACTOR
Mark Wahlberg

BEST ACTRESS
Nicola Peltz

BEST SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR
Peter Cullen

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE ACTOR
Bingbing Li

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I'd like to see Darren Aronofsky take a whack at the franchise. He's clearly shown he can do a Transformers movie with Noah.