Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

This was an amazing read. I look forward to more of this type of thing from you. Though I am curious how you're going to handle the whole Clonus/The Island situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

What do you mean? There may be some interesting intertextuality between the two films, but mostly the situation is what it is. A big budget film has a very similar plot to a b movie from 4 decades prior. They're far from identical, even in plot terms, and thematically they're even less similar.

It's been a while since I've seen Clonus but I remember there being some almost identical shots, accounting for technology and budget differences of course.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

Is that a problem? Films quote other films all the time. It would be kind of weird and dumb for The Island not to quote Clonus, or Blade Runner, for example. Just like it makes sense that Bay later quoted The Island in Transformers, because they have some very similar things to say about conflating identify with branding.

If you're talking about the shots themselves I think it does. It might agree with what he's trying to say, but Clonus didn't really come across with the same message. It was just cheesy sci-fi.

Anyways, this was a great thread and this discussion might be better somewhere else.