Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

You're right that Megatron isn't Odysseus, he's Che Guevera.

I must have a different version of The Iliad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
I don't remember if this was mentioned in the previous thread but it's striking how skull-like Que's face is. He's possibly the least violent and goofiest of the Autobots in this movie, plus the super-sappy melodrama when he faces his execution, yet he looks like a ghoul. I'm not sure what that's about.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Before this thread came along I'd not given the Transformers movies much thought. But the confrontation between Carly and Megatron, especially the line-reading of "obviously" in response to Carly's query as to whether this was all worth it, immediately stuck out. There was something interesting going on with Megatron and I really wanted to see the parallel universe where the movies were about him.

Your analysis is a fantastic expression of the potential inherent in that moment on the tail-end of 7 hours of aggressive, kinetic robots.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Petition to combine this thread and the earlier one into one magical pdf we can keep for future generations.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
One thing I've liked about the Transformers movies is how utterly comprehensible and mundane the mental states of these alien robots are. They get happy, angry, sad, frustrated. They show pettiness, courage, scheming, haughtiness. In so many movies the alien presence is distant and otherworldly, or at least mercurial, whereas the Transformers are literally just dudes (are there any female transformers?) that just happen to be 20 foot-tall metal robots. It goes a long way to making the almost immediate entangling of Human and Transformer interests believable.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

There was an interview with him recently where he talked about car manufacturers banging at his door for the opportunity to have one of their cars be a Transformer in his movie, and how it was much, much harder to get car companies onboard for the first movie (which is why almost every car was a General Motors car). But he said the car companies all have the same demand: their Transformer can only be a good guy.

Joke's on them since, as has been amply shown, the good guys are all monsters.