Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Where can I find the kicking a car full of people scene? I don't have access to the movie but I'm sure there is a gif or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Murphys Law posted:

They're just casualties of bad editing.

I don't think so. I think it is intentionally left ambiguous.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Can I get a summary on the Optimus as monster thing? I've read the 100 page pdf but it's been a while. I also haven't seen the movies in a long time.

Like, I know he rips faces and executes people but I'm pretty sure it's deeper than that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Optimus is repeatedly revealed to be lying to the humans about why the Autobots are on earth, and it's eventually revealed that the Autobots were allied with tyrannical Prime leaders whom the Decepticons were rebelling against.

Two more questions. Why were the Autobots on earth? And who are the prime leaders?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

In TF1, the Autobots were there to stop Megatron from getting the Allspark because Optimus claims that Megatron would use it to kill everyone on Earth. It is important to note that Prime also lies about the capabilities of the Allspark and his gambit to shoot it into his chest. Anyway, TF2 indicates that Megatron wanted it to restore power to Cybertron and to save the lives of the robot babies. However, almost every film gives a different reason for the Autobots being on Earth and Optimus often changes the story for what had happened on Cybertron.

The Primes were incredibly powerful robots who were the leaders and deities of the Transformer race. They killed themselves trying to stop The Fallen (basically Robo-Satan). How this meshes with the Transformers being explicitly built by another species in TF4 is unclear at this point. Optimus Prime both is and isn't one of those 'Primes'.

So do we not know the actual reason for the Autobots being on Earth? Or is it just assumed they want to fight stuff?

Also how were the primes tyrannical? Are they the guys that Shia met in Transformers Heaven?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm genuinely concerned about honouring the memory of Oreo-bot

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I recently rewatched Transformers with my CineD Goonvision goggles on. I really didn't see the Optimus = evil and Megatron = good thing. They are both violent as gently caress but so are all the Robomen.

Two lines kinda stuck out to me. Optimus says " we don't hurt humans" and Megatron straight up says "humans don't deserve to live." I don't think we see any Autobots kill any humans but I could be wrong. Megatron for sure kills humans while calling them disgusting.

I'll give it another watch sometime and try to catch on.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

The humans spent their time vivisecting Megatron and using his components to bootstrap their technological advancements, and had been doing so since his discovery in the ice. Megatron's attitude is pretty understandable!

That doesn't seem right. Like, maybe Hitler got his rear end kicked by some Jewish dudes when they were kids. Would that make his opinion that Jews don't deserve to live understandable?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

That's not really the same? If the Jewish dudes held Hitler down, immobile but conscious, and cut pieces out of him to advance their understanding of fantastic bio-technologies, and referred to him as NJG-1 (Non-Jewish Guy-1), for literally decades, then maybe it'd work.

Note: I said understandable. I didn't say moral or right.

I guess I missed something. Did they know he was alive? And did he say he was conscious?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Transformers is the first film in Megatron's arc, where he is 'just' a totalitarian. The point is absolutely that he is equally bad as Optimus, but worse at marketing himself.

To be clear: Megatron is not a true good guy until partways through Episode 3, though he remains the underdog throughout the series.

How is he the underdog in the first one?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, in the basic sense that he's an escaped science experiment up against the combined forces of the entire United States and Prime's autobots.

After his unfreezing he seems to have the upper hand on all those dudes. Like he tears autobots in half and beats Optimus down. He is only foiled when a teenager disobeys his Prime-daddy and chest rapes him with a box.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SirDrone posted:

Can a fine Cinema Discusso Analyst please tell me the importance of the shot where a giant robot scorpion emerges out of nowhere and tears off a old guy's chest.

Marxism and feudalism.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Finally got around to re-watching Revenge of the Fallen. I hated it when I first saw it but now I think it might be the best of the series. It's like the Bible with robomen.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ostiosis posted:

I love all the unique designs on the robots

I hated Jetfires design when I first saw the movie years ago. Now that I realized that he is Robo-Moses it makes so much more sense.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Sam goes to commune with the Robo-Angels in Robo-heaven.

Is that a giant communion wafer next to him?!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What happened to Megatrons child-bearing hips and vagina? Isn't he supposed to be a "bitch"?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Did Megatron die again since TF1? I don't remember that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Forgot that. Did he come back in 4?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Ahhh. I need to rewatch 3 and 4.

I really like the way Revenge of the Fallen handled Megatrons return. There is a lot of sacrifices in the movie. The autobots are self-sacrificing. Optimus sacrifices himself so Sam can live. Robo-Moses sacrifices himself so Optimus can live. The deceptions sacrifice a living being against its will in order to bring their master back to life.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

The aspect ratio-shifts. The glorious, glorious aspect ratio-shifts.

Is that good? Why?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I only watch movies that are certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RedSpider posted:

I have a family member who does this, and it's loving pathetic.

I was this guy when I was younger. I just watch whatever looks interesting now and never look at reviews.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fsmhunk posted:

These movies stink, whatever meaning you ascribe to them are easily contradicted by the movie itself. They represent a truly malevolent attempt to transform a (mostly) innocent if stupid and ignorrant cartoon about fighting for what's right, even if it isn't in your best interests.

The fact that the common complaints about them are shallow are no better than they deserve, but I do take issue with these films being 'mindless'. They serve as a response to all other versions of the franchise, because defending the rights of those less powerful than you is for pussies, a real man does what he pleases and uses violence to accomplish his goals, and if he doesn't get his own way he sulks and lashes out at those around him.

These lovely movies are repulsive on just about every level, politically, visually, loving SPIRTUALLY and acting like you are inteluctually surperior to people who refuse to engage with this SIN on even a surface level ignores that beneath the surface is even WORSE. If these films are made by intelligent filmakers, fully aware of what they are doing, than they are phenominally hateful people and if anything desrve a reputation for being insidiously ignorant and filled with hate, not stupid.

I could ignore ALL OF THAT if these pieces of poo poo at least had the loving desency to have cool robot fights, but no, even THOSE look like utter poo poo and are utterly inpossible to follow. Even of they were good they happen so rarely that it woulen't even matter.

I could ignore every stupid thing this subform has ever been responsible for, the female planes rant, defending the Star Wars prequels, THE OPPOSITE READING IS TRUE. But I can NOT loving listen to someone telling me these movies are good, or even interesting.

THEY loving SUCK, AND I HATE THEM. Robots are my favourite thing in the world, and these movies are an attack, an attack on me and everything I have ever loved. I would feel less insulted if Bay personally poo poo in my mouth.

I HATED IT, THE ROCK DID NOT RULE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I thank you for your well planned and thoughtful criticism.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did the Transformers thread get it's own Tezzor?

Was thinking the same thing. I hope he posts more.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Is Lennox the only non-robot character to appear in every movie?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like they are folding up to me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Second one is the best. It's a robo bible story.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

It also has giant robot balls.

If you don't like adolescent humor then maybe Michael Bay isn't for you.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So the Transformers that arrived in TF1 were already here?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RedSpider posted:

Looking forward to Megatron kicking some serious autobot rear end in The Last Knight.

I hope he kills some "humans that don't deserve to live"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Isabela Moner even wore a G1 dress to the premier

She calls Anthony Hopkins "T-Hopps".

In the picture is also Jason Zhang who sings a cover of X Ambassador's Torches, the official theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GnF9Mdn5pk

Is there a small creature coming out of his ear?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Bay should really direct a Furious sequel

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

AOE is the best TF film. Hands down.

False. Revenge of the Fallen is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Wrong, dark of the Moon. Invasion of Chicago hasn't been topped yet, though the "moonraker" in Knight is close.

Which one had Robo-Moses leading people across the sea BACK to Egypt?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Are you talking about cloaked Megatron with the babies? Oh do you mean the flashback from the fallen? They both kind of run together. 3 is great just because it's the most marked improvemed in cinematography due to shooting in 3d.

Talking about the transformer they wake at the flight museum. He has a Moses beard and staff and was a decepticon before being adopted by the Autobots. And he actually transports Sam to Egypt.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I can’t believe I never made that connection.

Yeah. TF2 is biblical as gently caress.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anyone who hasn't seen First Blood seriously needs to watch it. I don't think pop culture really remembers the way Rambo is depicted in that movie. Contemporary American audiences heads would explode trying to choose between "support are troops" and "blue lives matter"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SimonCat posted:

They'd be on Rambo's side. Blue Lives Matter in only an issue when the citizen is black.

Better would be a remake of Rambo with a black Green Beret who was a veteran of Afghanistan.

No poo poo had the same thought the other day.

Jordan Peele could probably do something great with that idea

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
That trailer did not have near enough explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Do kids even buy toys anymore?