Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

He has a hammer in this movie, and the story is apparently about finding an artifact that can restore Cybertron. In Transformers lore, the Forge of Solus Prime* is a hammer that can create new Cybertronian life. So 'Bee might have found that Forge and it made him indestructible as long as he has it. That's the theory people made based on the information we have so far.

*In Transformers lore, Solus Prime was one of the first thirteen Primus created and all who descended from Solus are the only Transformers who can create new life by themselves. They are typically known as "females".

Or maybe Stanley Tuccis company upgraded him.

Let me get this straight.
The current theory is that Bumblebee has become spiritually attuned to his feminine side through a religious artifact, and that this has made him indestructible?

That 1) kick rear end 2) is seriously on the nose, even for Bay's Transformer films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the changing aspect ratios are interesting in light of the "every frame a painting" style of thought, where the each frame (or rather, each set of frames) is itself framed as most appropriate to it, rather than trying to frame the whole movie as a single unit.

This isn't saying it'll necessarily work well in practice. I just think it's interesting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Enjoying a Transformers movie and watching the insanity unfold

is this a pun

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

There is no redemption to be found here, only suffering.

Forget your hopes. They were what brought you here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If Unicron is something like the Devil, then Earth is something like Hell. Anything leaving (or tossed) from Cybertron would eventually settle here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wasn't there a bit of a trend in the 80s of the first movie in a series being more adult-oriented, but because they found a kid audience on video the sequels got a little more family friendly?

It's been a while since I've seen them, but something like the Police Academy films: Started with R, then the second was PG-13, then the third was PG? Beastmaster 1 was dark and creepy, and Beastmaster 2 was more a Sorbo Hercules-style adventure.

The Terminator and T2 have to be one of the more prominent examples of that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

banned from Starbucks posted:

the franchise is a glorified toy commercial why does it deserve respect?

That kind thinking is two decades out of date.

Now-a-days, the movie and the toy are just glorified commercials for the franchise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This should probably be here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Battuta posted:

He's not at all a dumbass, he's very deliberate!

Yeah, the fact he pointedly allows the criminal villager to die during the ninja explosion is called back to later on. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 31, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamie Faith posted:

"cringey passive aggressiveness" like implying someones dumb and haven't seen any other movies because they like a movie you don't like? I seriously don't know how you can start off a convo in bad faith like that and expect a good faith reply in return.

If you started off this convo with the first paragraph in your second post as opposed to your first post, I would have gladly discussed this with you but I don't want to bother if this is just going to turn into some dumb slap fight.

I'd genuinely like to hear your take on Optimus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All that poo poo is unarguably terrible but it doesn't contradict SMG's statement at all. "Child exploitation is bad" and "characters in stories should be read as subjects" are not in any way in conflict.

It's also kind of rich to say "you don't care about human experiences or abuse" and then follow that up by claiming the other guy is projecting bad-faith arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think Transformers has enough of a consistent storyline for it to have "side things." They're just things.