Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Hey wasn't the church in the OP's first picture also in The Island?

The "church" is actually the Michigan Central Depot in Detroit, which has been shuttered since 1988. Bay used it in The Island, Transformers (2007) and Dark of the Moon. In Transformers it was the "building with the statues on top" where Sam took the cube.

There's no angel statue (or statues on top) in real life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Terry van Feleday posted:

Que also went through a number of very distinct designs, ranging from “actually sympathetic looking” to “horrible nazi doctor”. I can see why they went with his final design in the end, but I also won’t lie about it being one of the least aesthetically worthwhile ones in the trilogy. It seems he was also going to be a different model of car, but I’m not car nerd enough to identify it based on the visible vehicle bits.

Hard to tell with the last one, but the first two is definitely a Rolls-Royce.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

wdarkk posted:

What I'm wondering is why they're launching rockets back there.

That's just a practical (i.e. real life) pyrotechnic effect. You see that in a lot of shots in these movies. Usually there's a big CGI robot in front to hide most of it.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 3, 2014

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Le teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGpDoyJvmI

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

robot roll call posted:

The best part of that trailer is when Optimus Prime loving bitchslapped Grimlock. Also when Marky Mark said he had a Transformer. Has the word Transformer ever been said in the Transformer movies before? I've seen them all multiple times and I forget.

Simmons said it at least once in ROTF, there may be more. There's been "transform" as a verb multiple times.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Didn't smart Grimlock create the Technobots in the cartoon too?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
World premiere in Hong Kong streaming live right now: https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/transformers-4/

They had some pre-taped interviews earlier, it's now the Imagine Dragons concert.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Some thoughts on the film:

I was hoping to see more transformations in the film and was disappointed. I don't think Crosshairs, Drift, or Hound ever transformed on-screen. Seeing the dinobots transform for the first time was awesome and when Optimus transformed during his beat-up form in the desert it was cool. The human-made transformers didn't "transform" in the traditional sense, they kinda separated into floating metal cubes and remerged into robot mode.

Frank Welker as Galvatron sounded fantastic! It was very TF:Prime Megatron.

The rescanning of Optimus and Bumblebee didn't quite happen how I expected since the robot modes are so unlike anything else, it was kinda "oh hey a cool car/truck driving by I'll scan it" and was very quick.

And what happened to the dancing scene shown in the commercials??

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
I recommend Rescue Bots. The plots and tech invented by the humans can be silly but the writing and characters are good. There's a lot of subtle humor that goes over the intended audience's heads. My 3 year old and I catch it every week. Optimus shows up once in a while and doesn't take faces.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
My list of favorite transformations. I mostly like the relatively slow ones where the camera stays pretty static and you can see where the parts go.

Transformers:
* Barricade into robot in front of Sam
* Bumblebee into car after introducing himself to Sam & Mikaela ("Any more questions?")
* Ratchet into robot when the Autobots arrive (he's the easiest to see besides Optimus, and I love the slow spin-and-click at the end)
* Autobots into vehicles after encountering Sector 7
* Jazz and then Brawl into robot in the city battle

Most of the transformations in the first movie were special because like what was said before we had never seen anything like it so they were all a treat.

ROTF:
* Optimus into robot and back when jumping out of the plane
* Bumblebee into car after talking to Sam after Prime's death ("We've gotta stick together!")
* Powered-up Optimus (just because it's cool and the music makes it better)

DOTM:
* Bumblebee into robot and back to catch Sam on the freeway (yeah because it's cool and I'm totally glad I didn't spoil myself with the commercials showing it)
* Bumblebee into robot at the end

AOE:
* Lockdown into car after killing what's-his-name (can't see it that well, but I love the sound effects and the engine revving at the end)
* Optimus into truck after dropping Cade and friends off at the old gas station
* Bumblebee into robot at KSI showroom
* Dinobots into dinosaurs for the first time

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
I think that "Honor 'til the end" thing is supposed to be directed at Cade, like he's saying "You saved my life, I save yours" thing.

I agree it seems like it's directed at Lockdown at first but I think to Cade it makes more sense.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
He also transforms right after T.J. Miller dies.

Optimus's transformation in front of the old gas station was the best I think.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
I couldn't take it all in during the initial viewing, but this movie did a great job with depicting transformations. We finally got to see Hound and Crosshairs, and a few of the group transformation sequences were really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dj2F7Rg4Q8

One of my favorites is still when the Autobots transform to escape Sector 7 in the first movie. "Optimus, incoming!" Seeing it for the first time in 2007 was amazing (1:49 in this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNzgOS-3Fs&t=109s

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Sir Potato posted:

This was my favorite part of the movie, because if you live near Detroit you can tell that half the movie was filmed in Detroit. And that's been the case for literally all of the movies since the first one came out. It's really great seeing Cade and crew supposedly hop from North Dakota or something and going to this town, which like you said seems like a small abandoned town, and is actually apparently much larger with skyscrapers behind, cause it was filmed in Detroit. So was the segment with Izabella's Transformer and the four kids. I just love that Bay uses the city so much and never uses it as Detroit. Like Terry and another goon mentioned in her rundown of Dark of the Moon, that scene before Chernobyl with I think Lennox and the Ukrainian guy is filmed inside the lobby of the Fisher Building, which I think gets reused again in this one and is the skyscraper you mentioned and see repeatedly in the background of the abandoned town. Same with the old train station. It's used as the building with the statues on top in the first film that Shia runs through and gets destroyed while Megatron is chasing after the cube and again in Dark of the Moon when Terry mentions Optimus hides himself or turns himself away from the angel. He's just a big fan of the city and I appreciate it. I don't know where I'm going with it, but there's a bit of trivia for you I guess.

What up, metro Detroit brother! :hfive: I was an extra in Dark of the Moon, I was in that scene at the Fisher building you mentioned. That one low-angle shot of the two guys walking towards the camera, I lost count of how many times we had to do that. Bay got pissed at one of his crewmembers, something about the camera rig having a loose mechanism. I was the guy in the background walking away, and I'm somewhere in the crowd below when Lennox is talking. Josh Duhamel even said hi to us afterwards, he was nice. And TALL.

It was a fun 11 hours for $104. Their production offices were right next to the Packard plant, so it was cool to see it all dressed with the Chicago trains lying about. I was also in the quick shot of the moon landing parade and they took pictures of us for newspaper clippings that pop up in the film - Bay even gave me direction! "You in the gray shirt, do this!" Everything that day was a lot of effort for just mere seconds of screen time.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2017