Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milky Moor posted:

Wasn't Prime Arcee really well received?
Yes, but that was kind of separate from Simon Furman's attempt to bury all "female" Transformers ever. Dude's got issues, I think.

Hound looks pretty hardcore, if his toy is any indication. He's got a, uh, shitload of guns and stuff.

Three sets of pistols, a triple-minigun, and a knife. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Corek posted:

It's like if Rob Liefeld designed a Transformers character. What does he transform into, a gun?
This thing:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

Weird copyright law fact: Hasbro cannot use the word "transform" on their toy packaging, so Transformers "convert" instead.
Close but not quite - they could use the verb "transform", but Hasbro specifically chooses not to in order to avoid brand-dilution.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I watched 'Armageddon' for the first time in like a decade last night, hooooooooooooly poo poo is that a movie.

I didn't remember it being 2 and a half hours long, or being edited with cuts that last 1 second each. It's still an entertaining ride, but so much happens in its runtime that Armageddon makes any of the Transformers movies feel like a quiet meditation on the human condition by comparison. Like, Michael Bay shows an incredible amount of restraint in the Transformers movies compared to Armageddon, holy poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milky Moor posted:

I feel like I've seen a very similar image to that Imax poster before, especially regarding the general design and stance of the Transformer depicted there. I'll be damned if I can place it, though.
Pacific Rim "Gipsy Danger" promo artwork?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I hope they did the smart thing and got Lance Henriksen to voice Lockdown, since he did in the cartoon and he was amazing.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 26, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A giant Transformer that literally eats planets? How could Michael Bay not feature it in one of the upcoming movies?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No Lance Henriksen for Lockdown ? A missed opportunity.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

"It's a freaking space ship. Sweetie, hand me my alien gun." Is a legitimately funny line.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:siren: Actual transformers movie post:

I'm surprised by the tv spots spoiling that Stinger, the human-built evil red sports car, is made up of a bunch of nano-robots. I really wasn't expecting that at all, I figured he'd just be a "conventional" transforming robot. I wonder if that's his "gimmick", or if it's a trait of all the human-built robots?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

They are not spoiling the Dinobot transformations yet, though, and Hasbro has already said that will happen.

I could totally see Hasbro hiring a Whedon or a Whedon-associated director like Drew Goddard if they make a movie more in line with the current IDW comics. People have said/complained that everyone in the comics talk like Whedon characters, even Optimus and Megatron.
A TV series based on the IDW "more than meets the eye" ongoing series would be loving incredible.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There was an interview with him recently where he talked about car manufacturers banging at his door for the opportunity to have one of their cars be a Transformer in his movie, and how it was much, much harder to get car companies onboard for the first movie (which is why almost every car was a General Motors car). But he said the car companies all have the same demand: their Transformer can only be a good guy.

He said that the only way he was able to talk Lamborghini into letting him use their car for Lockdown was by spinning it as "he's a mercenary, so he's technically not a bad guy". :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

He is speaking a language capitalists understand.

Wonder how he got Soundwave to be a Mercedes?
I'm just speculating, but there is an Autobot Mercedes in the movie, too. Bay might have offered it up as a "package deal", they get a good guy and a bad guy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darth TNT posted:

I've only had this for his Transformer movies. :allears:

I wonder why they all want to be good guys. It doesn't ensure screen time, nor does it ensure that your car will look awesome.
It doesn't even ensure your car survives the movie.

Car companies are weird about licensing stuff - in racing videogames, it's pretty rare to see licensed car games that have extensive damage models, because manufacturers don't like having their cars depicted as all smashed up. Some have gotten a bit more lenient in recent years, but the odds of seeing, say, FlatOut-levels of car damage in a Forza or Gran Tourismo game are real slim.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is only slightly disappointing because I was expecting dancing dinobots.
They're saving that for a post-credits scene.

CinemaSins is total unfunny spergfest garbage, but Honest Trailers can be pretty entertaining. Their "honest trailer" for Pacific Rim is spot-on and loving hilarious, and this is coming from someone who loved the movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloodnose, are the Dinobots given personalities (or even dialogue)? Or are they pretty much just rampaging metal beasts?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloodnose posted:

The latter.
Do any of the Dinobots even talk at all?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gatts posted:

You say this like it is a bad thing. I liked Bingbing Li.

EDIT: The next one has to be Unicron. And it has to be done by Bay. Dinobots gotta take center stage. Prime's in space and his "I'm coming for you!" is scary as gently caress.

Hell I thought there were elements of Unicron in this one. M
You know what honestly made me jump the first time we see them? Those googly-eyed little robots on Lockdown's ship. The first time one of those things freaked out, I was seriously creeped out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Has CGI gotten more affordable over time? Computer technology prices always trend downward over time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

VW did ease up a few years ago and okayed an officially-licensed Masterpiece Bumblebee toy.

I don't think the appearance of a Bug in the 2007 movie involved VW, though. When they made an Audi Decepticon in ROTF, the logo was hidden in the movie and toy did not carry any Audi branding (Audi is owned by VW).

Bumblebee did turn into a VW in the World War II flashback in the latest movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looks like he finally found LadiesMan217's glasses.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

UmOk posted:

Talking about the transformer they wake at the flight museum. He has a Moses beard and staff and was a decepticon before being adopted by the Autobots. And he actually transports Sam to Egypt.

I can’t believe I never made that connection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo I just realized that Rambo 4 is a decade old.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

You can't read a Marvel comic made with a weapons manufacturer but at least you can still buy a toy officially licensed by one.

Reminds me of the time when CNN used a toy from the first Transformers movie to demonstrate how soldiers are protected against IEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAWP2uVd7M

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gatts posted:

Is he to be F35?

He was an F-22 in the first three movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is the Bumblebee movie still supposedly gonna be R-rated? That sounded like bullshit but it would be hilarious.

Hasbro would never allow it (although an R-rated Transformers espionage-thriller has the potential to be crazy in all the best ways).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wonder if the prequel will acknowledge Bumblebee’s (totally awesome) Nazi-killing past, or if it’ll ignore it completely.

“Beep boop I’m frightened of meaningful human contact, my only exposure to human culture has been curb-stomping fascists without remorse :black101:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mashed_penguin posted:

I got to decapitate 7 robots working on it so that makes it the best transformers movie. :v:

Which 7?
I mean I know the answer is “generic robot #577” but was it in any particular scenes?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure if it originated elsewhere first but the Decepticon intros are incredibly similar to the driver intros in direct to dvd classic, Death Race 2.

The latest Death Race that’s on Netflix does the same thing. Also the Decepticon intros bit was the best scene in TLK.

Speaking of, the latest Death Race was shockingly coherent and *way* more gratuitously rated-R than I was expecting, and not just with violence and gore (although it had a lot of that, too). They also designed all new cars (unlike Death Race 2 and 3, which just re-used the cars from the first one), which was a nice touch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No, Death Race: Beyond Anarchy, the third sequel to the Paul WS Anderson remake that had Jason Statham.

I’ll defend the hell out of the remake, too. It had seriously excellent practical car carnage that went unmatched until Mad Max Fury Road.

I mean, check this poo poo out:

https://youtu.be/Lsy2voFnauA

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pussy Quipped posted:

Has Bay ever explained why all of his Transformer movies seem to just wildly and inexplicably change aspect ratios, sometimes within the same scene?

Does the Bumblebee movie keep this feature?

I don’t remember all of them doing it, just TLK.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slutitution posted:

It's really bad and noticeable in TDKR. It's hilarious how a jarring continuity error like that got passed Nolan.

It's less noticeable in Transformers TLK because your brain is too busy trying to process space Medusa crashing a loving planet into Earth on the screen.

Yeah over time my brain just tuned it out in TLK. Like yeah if I kept my eye on the top edge of the screen it was mega-obvious, but with so much other random poo poo happening in the middle of the frame, my brain filtered it out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, check out there clever use of launching rockets in the background.

Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t get it. :saddowns:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

The Last Knight set photo.

Ohhhhh....

I remember they made an action figure of Kroenen from 'Hellboy' in his Nazi regalia, complete with swastika. That didn't go over great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The “befriend the humans” character in the original cartoon was Hound anyway.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Donnerberg posted:

I love it. It's like if Nolan and Burton made Batman movies at the same time.

Then again, two concurrent movie series with mutually exclusive timelines is the most Transformers thing that could happen.

Aren't the DC movies pretty much doing that anyway? Between 'The Batman', the Jared Leto Joker movie (I know it's been canceled), the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie, and whatever's left of the DCEU, it seems like they're all over the map as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Still thinking about the time Optimus and the autobots pretended to leave/die so that the decepticons would invade and massacre an entire city just so Optimus could say “I told you so”

If I remember right, that plot was ripped straight out of an episode of the original 80s cartoon.

I mean I’m not trying to justify it, just that it’s accurate to the source material (and it’s funny that a kids cartoon would carry that kind of message).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Captain Invictus posted:

I love how optimus prime never transformed the same way twice

I don’t think any characters did.

As a toy collector the most entertaining part for me was that the movie people were given free reign to design whatever and use whatever alt mode they wanted, and then it got handed to the toy designers and told to “figure it out” and make it into a mass market toy that actually functioned.

And they did it, and have continued to do it for 15 years straight.