Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

This is the best loving forum.

EDIT: Based on the analysis in this thread, I would put the Transformers movies in the same category as 300: Movies that simultaneously are propaganda but also reveal themselves as in universe propaganda.

Are there ways in which 300 is "in universe propaganda" for reasons other than the ones that make people familiar with the history cringe but would make sense in a "Spartans are the most badass guys ever." context? Since if there are, I'd actually really love to hear them.

By the way I mean stuff like calling Athenians "boy-lovers" when they had their own agoge (institutionalized boy-loving), most of the allies conspicuously going missing, breaking formation and engaging in single combat when that'd be a terrible idea for a phalanx, fighting ninjas and alchemists and giant mutants and so on. Oh, and Xerxes actually being wounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

verybad posted:

The story of the film is framed as the only survivor of the 300 telling it on the eve of battle to raise the morale of the troops.

Yeah I remember that part as well, which is what justified all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, since he was just blatantly exaggerating so they'd feel even better about fighting weaker, crappier Persians who didn't have giant crab men with them.