Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Yeah, that's standard both internally and externally.

I mean, our IT sends emails like these almost every other day: "Maintenance in so and so datacenter" . I've read them religiously years ago, only to see that for 100% of them I didn't give a poo poo/never impacted me. So, now I just ... don't read them. The day will come when a server/VM/service that I use and need will be offline, but I usually then just ask the team "is it working for you?".

When you're a big company with a lot of poo poo going on all the time ... yeah, you tune out the (perceived) noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why some genius should buckle down and come up with a protocol where attempting to connect to an offline service will query some kind of status reporting service and display a helpful message like "we're doing maintenance, gently caress off."

But nah, spinning a dial for 45 seconds before kicking back with a "connection timed out. contact your administrator if this persists" error is totally acceptable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How do you know if it's a timeout because a thing is down or a thing doesn't even exist? If you build something into the local network stack that does a query against a source of truth when things are timing out how do you prevent that being abused to enumerate your entire network without any privileges at all if you get popped? It's a non-trivial problem to solve TBH.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I said a genius should do it, I'd gently caress it up.

I just want errors telling people to ask to their administrator to die.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been in lovely work environments, but I'll be happy if nobody ever asks me to die.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been in lovely work environments, but I'll be happy if nobody ever asks me to die.

"Do it yourself, coward. Free me from this place."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It is absolutely true that nobody reads emails, but the reason you send them anyway is not so that you don't get calls about it -- that is an immutable law of nature -- but so that when you do get calls about it, you can say you sent them and it's not your fault that they didn't know. And/or that it's not your fault that it caused a problem for them, because they had the opportunity to speak up about the schedule.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The new guy at work has, once again, clinged on to me, so I am being asked questions about HS codes and shipping and items and...

I just don't understand why this happens loving consistently. Like the last 7 guys clung on to me and asked me poo poo about support and shipping and stuff all the time. I don't know? Why the gently caress does everyone assume I know? Is it because I bother actually loving answering people? I really wish people would stop!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reoxygenation posted:

Is it because I bother actually loving answering people?

it's this

you are likely the only person that doesn't make them afraid to ask questions

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reoxygenation posted:

The new guy at work has, once again, clinged on to me, so I am being asked questions about HS codes and shipping and items and...

I just don't understand why this happens loving consistently. Like the last 7 guys clung on to me and asked me poo poo about support and shipping and stuff all the time. I don't know? Why the gently caress does everyone assume I know? Is it because I bother actually loving answering people? I really wish people would stop!

Yes, that is why. Demonstrating competence and/or willingness to answer questions gets all questions routed to you. That doesn't mean you should stop being competent or stop responding to people, but try to route them to the correct source instead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

That's why I said a genius should do it, I'd gently caress it up.

I just want errors telling people to ask to their administrator to die.
Ah, okay. Yeah, fair. I've wished for that sort of tooling a few times, and once in a while it actually shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

guppy posted:

Yes, that is why. Demonstrating competence and/or willingness to answer questions gets all questions routed to you. That doesn't mean you should stop being competent or stop responding to people, but try to route them to the correct source instead.

I mean I get what you're saying but it has the opposite effect on me, tbh, like yeah I shouldn't turn into a massive rear end in a top hat over this but like I've only seen incompetence be rewarded so this isn't a great motivator to keep doing as I do :v:

Especially when people come to with like whole paragraphs about what they want to do. Just because I have "systems" in my title also doesn't mean I am the sole arbitrator of how things should be done or that I know how the accounting system works...