Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

Soooo what do you do with users that have Android phones? Just, like, do the same thing.

Hard block but they are not uppity boomers like all our c-suite with their iPhones and iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I would like to not be asked anymore to troubleshoot external devices please... what the hell do you think I can do if a customer or vendor isn't receiving your text messages or emails? It's genuinely annoying how people loving turn automatically to me instead of asking the other party to see if something isn't working.

Amongst other things this week I was asked why a customer's personal phone, personal phone wasn't receiving one of our salesman's text messages. The gently caress do you want me to say.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nothing like Rapid7 generating a poo poo-tonne of vulnerability alerts for out of date versions of Rapid7

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple, you have 160 billion dollars cash stuffed in a mattress, you do not need to sell loving adverts in App Store search results. You sure as poo poo should not be allowing people to buy adverts on search terms that match actual existing apps in the store, and definitely not on ones related to security.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Google started doing that at some point between my last two Androids and it's such a pissoff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You already take a 30% cut and have more money than god, just leave the adverts out of the app store

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The capitalist machine requires that number goes up. Phone sales aren't selling gangbusters like they used to so they're making up the slack with ad sales.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Team leads with no technical sense whatsoever.

User reports a web app isn't working and gives them a 404 when they log in.

I try to access the same app in Chrome and Firefox, it doesn't even connect and just times out. coworker tries, same result.

Team lead: "Worked for me in Edge. Try adding it to Trusted Sites."

Sure, dude, that'll fix it. :rolleyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah I got that way back when with a team lead. Dude was new to the company so I decide to try get him looped in and feeling helpful. I ask him for advice on crafting a path traversal payload that'd get me somewhere juicy on a target system, having already bypassed Cloudflare's filtering and gotten basic traversal to work. He points me at a script for bypassing Cloudflare entirely. All it does is take the domain you hand it, stick "ssh." to the front of it, try make a DNS query for that, and then returns the IP address of whatever exists. Utter stupidity on so many levels.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

If you accidentally end up on Bing and do a search, you are presented the search results as usual, note that according to the scroll bar you are at the top of the page

You scroll down to look at the results, then you scroll back up to maybe look at the first result again, or to click on Images or whatever. I hope you didn't accidentally send a scrolling input after the page was already at the top though, because if you did then it's time to run some JavaScript animations and take over the entire browser tab to show you some *~Copilot~* garbage.

Nobody uses Bing anyway, making the UX intentionally awful because someone wants a bonus for getting people to use a new feature isn't going to encourage takeup.

The UI thing where scrolling up too far starts a copilot search sucks, but holy moly I've found copilot to be wonderful.

Also terrifyingly accurate, including sources cited for specific information.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

The UI thing where scrolling up too far starts a copilot search sucks, but holy moly I've found copilot to be wonderful.

Also terrifyingly accurate, including sources cited for specific information.

It's still poisoned by seo white noise but that's also true for every search engine. Microsoft might make money if they ran a late 2ks era database instance of Bing for paying customers, just to skip the fake pages that are always in the first listings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Google still works fine if you go into settings and turn off all the AI crap on the front page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Google still works fine if you go into settings and turn off all the AI crap on the front page.

Around the turn of the year Google cranked up their buy poo poo interface and it's now impossible to look up any product without it looking like Amazon. The Reddit magic word usually fixes it but they are really spiraling that drain.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SlowBloke posted:

It's still poisoned by seo white noise but that's also true for every search engine. Microsoft might make money if they ran a late 2ks era database instance of Bing for paying customers, just to skip the fake pages that are always in the first listings.

I think what I like about copilot is that, at least for now, I can compel a response that's actually responsive. "What's the version of xz shipped with Butt Linux" yields the actual release page with package versions because that's what it had to cite. "Cast this weird .net object / use this weird namespace in powershell" gives an accurate example and a link to the One Other Guy In The World who also needed it, in 2017.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

Around the turn of the year Google cranked up their buy poo poo interface and it's now impossible to look up any product without it looking like Amazon. The Reddit magic word usually fixes it but they are really spiraling that drain.
uBlock Origin fixes most of that TBH.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

Part of the issue is stuff like stack overflow and other sites going to poo poo too; used to find so many good posts and now you get walled on a ton of various sites that used to be useful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Everyone keeps calling it enshittification and it drives me crazy because digital enclosure of the commons is right there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

Part of the issue is stuff like stack overflow and other sites going to poo poo too; used to find so many good posts and now you get walled on a ton of various sites that used to be useful.

They're all trying to turn into platforms you spend all your time on. Those hyperlinks 'ol Tim came up with? You can't profit off that! Gotta sequester that juicy content and keep people inside the house.

I blame discord for this trend.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Discord are late to the party. This is Facebook finally managing to pull off what AOL tried so many decades ago.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Over a year ago I was told that I wouldn't have to support printers anymore because we were bought by a company that has teams dedicated to printer support.

But here I am, still listening over the phone for that sweet sweet sound of a dot matrix printer screaming into life.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Over a year ago I was told that I wouldn't have to support printers anymore because we were bought by a company that has teams dedicated to printer support.

But here I am, still listening over the phone for that sweet sweet sound of a dot matrix printer screaming into life.

There are no teams (hell, people) dedicated to support dot matrix printers. They all died in 1999.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

Me:

“Hey Google: what’s the syntax of that one-line command that does <thing I’m trying to do>?”

Google:

Here’s ten advertisements you have to scroll past to get to the Google marketplace or whatever the gently caress it’s called to scroll past to five ten minute YouTube videos that might contain the actual syntax if I could be bothered to watch a ten minute video to get a one-line command that I have to scroll past to get to … whoops that’s the end of page one results. On to page two!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Agrikk posted:

Me:

“Hey Google: what’s the syntax of that one-line command that does <thing I’m trying to do>?”

Google:

Here’s ten advertisements you have to scroll past to get to the Google marketplace or whatever the gently caress it’s called to scroll past to five ten minute YouTube videos that might contain the actual syntax if I could be bothered to watch a ten minute video to get a one-line command that I have to scroll past to get to … whoops that’s the end of page one results. On to page two!

Show me a screenshot and your search term, let's compare. I'm worried about enshittification, but I'm not personally seeing it yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like no adblock too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Volguus posted:

There are no teams (hell, people) dedicated to support dot matrix printers. They all died in 1999.

A long bankrupt retail former employer used triplicate tractor feed dot matrix printers for customer receipts past 2010.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I supported car dealerships that were using dot matrix tractor feed printers through 2016

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like no adblock too.

It’s this. Google used to Just Work, like a toaster or a screwdriver, and having to futz with settings and extensions and plugins isn’t something I’ve bothered to do.

Like Bluetooth toasters, it’s adding a bunch of functionality to a device that doesn’t need it, while adding distractions and potential points of failure.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Volguus posted:

*laughs in airport*

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Volguus posted:

Auto Value, an auto parts store (not a mom and pop store, a national chain) still uses one for their receipts locally. Napa used to, but I think they finally went to a normal printer a few years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy dot matrix printers new, they aren't dead. They're just out of the limelight.

I kinda miss the chattering noise they make. But I have zero need to print out miles of text so will probably never own one again. Especially the high speed ones which I think are still faster than the best inkjet/laser versions you can get.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My dad used to steal reams of dot matrix paper from work when I was a kid, and it was great to draw on basically infinitely long paper.

Agrikk posted:

It’s this. Google used to Just Work, like a toaster or a screwdriver, and having to futz with settings and extensions and plugins isn’t something I’ve bothered to do.

Like Bluetooth toasters, it’s adding a bunch of functionality to a device that doesn’t need it, while adding distractions and potential points of failure.
To be fair, toasters always had settings you needed to gently caress with until you first got them right. This is much the same as installing uBlock Origin and having a way better time online for decades.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

xzzy posted:

I kinda miss the chattering noise they make.

The Ministry song “Thieves” uses a sample of a dot matrix printer in action. At the time I thought it was rad and SoOoOo Industrial. Now I think it’s rad and kids quaint.

https://youtu.be/lhLd18Xg6x0?si=j3-L1_3wI7QAmrWq

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mllaneza posted:

Show me a screenshot and your search term, let's compare. I'm worried about enshittification, but I'm not personally seeing it yet.

I've had like half a dozen users click on malicious search result ads on Google who end up calling 'Microsoft Tech Support'. They get told to install remote access software, and then I get to spend sometimes dozens of hours doing a forensic audit on their device. It is real and it is bad.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’m getting flashbacks to my last job where we had some ancient rear end HP signal analyzer that required a dot matrix printer to complete the calibration. One of those “are you kidding me, who the hell is using this?” moments

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Koskun posted:

Auto Value, an auto parts store (not a mom and pop store, a national chain) still uses one for their receipts locally. Napa used to, but I think they finally went to a normal printer a few years ago.

This makes a ton of sense in locations that might be dusty, dirty, really humid etc. because thermal doesn't like it, and thermal transfer (the superior type of thermal) really doesn't like it.

Sirotan posted:

I've had like half a dozen users click on malicious search result ads on Google who end up calling 'Microsoft Tech Support'. They get told to install remote access software, and then I get to spend sometimes dozens of hours doing a forensic audit on their device. It is real and it is bad.

It's a real problem pretty much everywhere, some ad keywords shouldn't be able to be purchased:

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple, you have 160 billion dollars cash stuffed in a mattress, you do not need to sell loving adverts in App Store search results. You sure as poo poo should not be allowing people to buy adverts on search terms that match actual existing apps in the store, and definitely not on ones related to security.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We've had a push to upgrade optics on a bunch of gear here from 1G to 10G, but its been slow as management has dragged their feet on some of the expense, and that we have new equipment planned.
So last night some updated rolled out and caused everyone's OneDrive to resync. Right now one of the devices that was planned to be upgraded but was held off is basically maxing the 1G connection.

Bet we get those optics now.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's a lotta people on here complaining that Google Search sucks, but not a whole lot saying they stopped using it.

DuckDuckGo is right there!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

We've had a push to upgrade optics on a bunch of gear here from 1G to 10G, but its been slow as management has dragged their feet on some of the expense, and that we have new equipment planned.
So last night some updated rolled out and caused everyone's OneDrive to resync. Right now one of the devices that was planned to be upgraded but was held off is basically maxing the 1G connection.

Bet we get those optics now.

Are you buying audiophile, gold-plated 10G SFP+ or something? :psyduck:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There's a lotta people on here complaining that Google Search sucks, but not a whole lot saying they stopped using it.

DuckDuckGo is right there!

More like DuckDuckNo, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

duckduckgo is my default these days (this change coincided with the amazonification of their product search results) but it still feels like it can't return technical results quite as well as google. There's just something about the way google can pull up information on obscure OS issues that no one else has replicated.