Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We use Novell NDS here. Our Novell passwords are not case-sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Back when Australia hosted the olympics in 2000, they extended DST for a month or so. Gave us months of warning. Microsoft released a patch specifically to adjust the times on Windows. It didnt work. Nothing worked. Our clocks were hosed for a week, even Bank ATMs shat themselves.

You cant just decide to change the clock on a whim! Time is sorta important!

Edit - Maybe it was 2006 Commonwealth games? Either way, it hosed me.

They did it for both. We had a heap of windows phone devices in service when I started at a new place in 2008, I was still cleaning up that loving mess.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was at a IT management seminar today at NY Interop, one of the attendees was bitching about funding at the university IT shop he ran. Fess up which one of you was it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tomapot posted:

I was at a IT management seminar today at NY Interop, one of the attendees was bitching about funding at the university IT shop he ran. Fess up which one of you was it?

Haha, our network admin is there this week (and I have no idea why).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I posted a short while back about my boss intentionally putting a stupid Netgear switch in every other cube so he didn't have to spend slightly more money (and buy 48 port switches) running everyone back to the closet in each building. Who cares if you're crippling your infrastructure, right?

Anyway, a 16-port netgear hidden in a cubicle partition wall got unplugged. There was a APC powerstrip thing on the floor with just one cable plugged into it, and of course it went to the switch. The cube was empty so someone stole the power strip and took a whole department offline.

Bob: Reason #5 the switches in cubes are a bad idea - someone 'borrowed' the UPS that one of the netegars is plugged into and it kicked CAD and GOVT departments off the network
Bob:
Boss: I still don't agree with you, sorry.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Lum posted:

Well, only tangentially related to IT work, but definitely an IT related rant.

gently caress Virtual DJ's video encoder, gently caress it forever. It's basically impossible to make it produce an AVI that doesn't go out of sync, and it isn't even a constant drift either.

In the end I gave up and recorded the loving thing using Fraps. This still decided to eat the video after the fourth cut, but it looks good enough and I've put far too much effort into this thing already.

http://tumblr.lum.co.uk/post/62670667582/what-does-the-frog-say

This is the single most horrifyingly glorious thing I have witnessed in ages. I'm both awed and disgusted by you right now. :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why is Windows so utterly poo poo? Set up a backup using the tools built into Windows 7 to backup onto an external drive (permanently attached to a desktop), tell it to use the whole disk and delete old backups when the disk is full.

Works wonderfully, until the disk fills up when it starts popping up balloons about low disk space. Why doesn't telling the backup to use the entire disk and remove old backups when it's full disable these?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Caged posted:

Why is Windows so utterly poo poo? Set up a backup using the tools built into Windows 7 to backup onto an external drive (permanently attached to a desktop), tell it to use the whole disk and delete old backups when the disk is full.

Works wonderfully, until the disk fills up when it starts popping up balloons about low disk space. Why doesn't telling the backup to use the entire disk and remove old backups when it's full disable these?

Windows is great. Windows backup is poo poo, I've never seen it used IRL and find it hard to imagine where it would be useful.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sanchez posted:

Windows is great. Windows backup is poo poo, I've never seen it used IRL and find it hard to imagine where it would be useful.

Hm, Windows 7 backup really isn't so bad. It works. You can restore from it readily. I cloned my machine using it.

Yeah, it's not amazing, and it's useful to note that Windows 8.1 guts most of the functionality. Old versions of Windows backup totally blew, though.

I absolutely agree on the nonsense "low space" warnings, though. What the hell.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The annoying thing is that Windows Server Backup will not delete old backups unless you remove the disk from the rotation completely and format it. Instead, it shrinks the snapshot down incrementally until it can't be shrunk down anymore. Such a piece of poo poo - I'd never thought I'd be happy to have Backup Exec installed for one of our clients.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Looks like someone is having a meltdown.....

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/res/4103554487.html

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Moey posted:

That's amazing.

What pisses me off? 1-800 numbers that can't transfer you without disconnecting you. Fffffffuck!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

Saw this on reddit, almost pissed my pants laughing.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Moey posted:

drat that's great, would love know if he actually lands a job as a result. This sealed the deal for me "In a world full of Fraggles, I am a doozer."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

What pisses me off? 1-800 numbers that can't transfer you without disconnecting you. Fffffffuck!
Strangest thing ... last time I needed to call in somewhere, I could not get to whatever department I needed from the office VOIP system, but it worked fine from my cellphone. It seems incredibly unlikely that it was just luck. I had to call back a number of times and I just couldn't get past the main switchboard over VOIP. I don't understand why it would matter what/where I was calling from.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Strangest thing ... last time I needed to call in somewhere, I could not get to whatever department I needed from the office VOIP system, but it worked fine from my cellphone. It seems incredibly unlikely that it was just luck. I had to call back a number of times and I just couldn't get past the main switchboard over VOIP. I don't understand why it would matter what/where I was calling from.

Basically phone systems can be complicated. If the 800 number comes in at point A, and the department you needed was at point B, and your internal VOIP endpoint is at point C, then the system was able to set up a talkpath/complete the call from A to B but not C to B. There could be a number of reasons for this, including network, configuration, calling permissions etc.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

poo poo that's pissing me off: my university's Desire2Learn instance (also why the gently caress do you assholes use the number 2 instead of the word :mad:) . It's a total cluster gently caress with no standardization. Different professors stick course information in different places because there are a bunch of different options and none of them make sense.

This site should have:
Class syllabus
One place for class notes (lecture notes/hand outs)
One place for homework
One place for quizzes
Grades
Maybe a calendar that automatically fills in due dates based on the due dates in the homework and quiz sections.

This poo poo should not be spread across half a dozen different drop downs with half a dozen options in each in various places such that it takes 5 minutes per course to find out if there is anything due in the next week.

There's also a helpful little "Upcoming events" area which lists information seemingly at random and the information listed is often incomplete so following it is a terrible idea.

For example last week I knew I had an assignment coming up but didn't know when it was due. I log in and the upcoming events section actually shows my assignment. Fantastic! It shows: "October: Assignment 3 due Friday." I thought that meant the first Friday in October because why else would you preface it with October when it was still September. Nope it was due September 27. I should have clicked on it to go to the assignment and download the pdf and found out the actual due date but I had a bunch of other poo poo to do which was due much sooner.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

DTMF wasn't working over your voip line.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Motronic posted:

DTMF wasn't working over your voip line.
Ah thanks. I inherited this system, never dealt with VOIP before. Looking at the provider's documentation, looks like the thing to do is set "RE-INVITE" to NO on the peer setup in Trixbox.

Which reminds me, I want to look at rebuilding in FreePBX soon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Ah thanks. I inherited this system, never dealt with VOIP before. Looking at the provider's documentation, looks like the thing to do is set "RE-INVITE" to NO on the peer setup in Trixbox.

Which reminds me, I want to look at rebuilding in FreePBX soon.

That's not going to necessarily cause you a problem or this problem.

You need to make sure DTMF is set for RFC2833 through the entire path. That means your phone, the PBX, and the carrier you hand off to. Many carriers are terrible at this, and will work sometimes and not others (depending on what one of their underlying carriers you call happens to go through).

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I get paid probably half of what I should get paid and I am pretty sure they are taking advantage of me. The whole situation is hosed and the only reason I am still here is that it is my first IT job and its something to put on a resume :( Oh and I doubt I am getting paid legally. Welp.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stealthgerbil posted:

I get paid probably half of what I should get paid and I am pretty sure they are taking advantage of me. The whole situation is hosed and the only reason I am still here is that it is my first IT job and its something to put on a resume :( Oh and I doubt I am getting paid legally. Welp.

Details? 1099 abuse is rampant in the tech industry.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I pretty much run all of the IT infrastructure for a small company with like 8 employees. In reality that means I essentially do on site tech support and I make sure the network (a router with a few switches) and the windows server that every one remotes into are running and operational. I also handle backups from the server. Its really easy and mindless. Nothing really goes wrong on a day to day basis except the users being dumb and quickbooks being lovely.

However I get paid poo poo (its so bad I am embarrassed to say :( ) and I get paid with checks straight from the company bank account. I don't get a pay stub or benefits or anything. Literally the only reason I am here is because I can take off whenever for classes and I needed experience to make finding a future job easier. I am in school, I have my A+ cert and I am currently taking a cisco CCNA course. I could easily get a security+ cert based on my current knowledge. It is pretty obvious that they are taking advantage of me.

Luckily I have been using my free time to learn as much as I can about linux administration and various types of virtualization. Hoping to get a better job when I get my CCNA but I feel like I have more then enough knowledge for a basic junior sysadmin job so I may just start searching.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
I figured this was one of the better threads to ask, but feel free to redirect me if I'm wrong.

I'm a CJ / developer for my small company. We have two Hyper-V hosts that have a few Win2k3 VMs that we haven't gotten around to upgrading (ain't broke, don't fix, etc, etc).

I'm now ready to replace our main virtual file server from 2k3 to 2012 (for a number of reasons). Rather than deal with the butthurt of peoples UNC shortcuts changing and mapped drives breaking, can I do an in-place switch over a weekend and keep the same hostname (lets call it fs01).

I'd rather do a fresh install of 2012 rather than in place upgrade. Lots of cruft on that 2003 box....

i.e.

- Create new 2012 VM but don't join to domain
- Kick everyone off on a Friday night
- Remove 2003 machine from AD and shutdown
- Rename 2012 machine to the new hostname (fs01).
- Join 2012 VM to AD
- Attach VHD from 2003 machine to 2012 machine as readonly (temporarily)
- Copy files to new VHD on 2012 machine
- Re-share all the folders

viola....everything works on Monday? \\fs01\butts will work the same?

Or is there some AD / kerberos stuff I'm not aware of and it will all blow up in my face when people can't get to their butts?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd rather take the poo poo and get the org on a DFS share with a move to 2012 than continue the same infrastructure. Theoretically, you should be ok. Here is to hoping nothing is calling on the specific SID of that server!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 3, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

roflsaurus posted:

I figured this was one of the better threads to ask, but feel free to redirect me if I'm wrong.

I'm a CJ / developer for my small company. We have two Hyper-V hosts that have a few Win2k3 VMs that we haven't gotten around to upgrading (ain't broke, don't fix, etc, etc).

I'm now ready to replace our main virtual file server from 2k3 to 2012 (for a number of reasons). Rather than deal with the butthurt of peoples UNC shortcuts changing and mapped drives breaking, can I do an in-place switch over a weekend and keep the same hostname (lets call it fs01).

I'd rather do a fresh install of 2012 rather than in place upgrade. Lots of cruft on that 2003 box....

i.e.

- Create new 2012 VM but don't join to domain
- Kick everyone off on a Friday night
- Remove 2003 machine from AD and shutdown
- Rename 2012 machine to the new hostname (fs01).
- Join 2012 VM to AD
- Attach VHD from 2003 machine to 2012 machine as readonly (temporarily)
- Copy files to new VHD on 2012 machine
- Re-share all the folders

viola....everything works on Monday? \\fs01\butts will work the same?

Or is there some AD / kerberos stuff I'm not aware of and it will all blow up in my face when people can't get to their butts?

Copying file structure doesn't copy share settings. Apologies if you were already aware.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 3, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Get into work this morning, turn the corner to get into my cube and...

Spiders. Everywhere.

Well ok plastic spiders but I certainly let out a gasp when I saw them and thought they were real for about a split second. Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sirotan posted:

Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Real spiders.

Killemall1057
Dec 14, 2006
Has anyone been having issues with Windows Updates the past couple days? I've been trying to install updates on some fresh VMs, but the site has been so slow. It takes hours for the "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." to finish and the downloads are taking even longer.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

Real spiders.

This but use ones that put them in the hospital for a few weeks!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sirotan posted:

Spiders. Everywhere.

Well ok plastic spiders but I certainly let out a gasp when I saw them and thought they were real for about a split second. Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Grab some brown pipe cleaners and re-create clock spider.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Killemall1057 posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Windows Updates the past couple days? I've been trying to install updates on some fresh VMs, but the site has been so slow. It takes hours for the "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." to finish and the downloads are taking even longer.

Setup up a WSUS server so these are cached locally. Also use templates so you don't have a poo poo load of updates.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hihifellow posted:

Grab some brown pipe cleaners and re-create clock spider.

Get something that plays quiet skittering noises at random intervals and plug it in above their area's ceiling tiles. Put quantities of fake rubber rats up there for when they check it out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

Spiders. Everywhere.

How much do you know the intimate fears of the intended target and how much deep rooted psychological damage do you think would be appropriate?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Could always leave something like this on their screen

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cozpop.exe deployed via GPO to run on startup

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some outside vendor is trying to SSH in, but they're getting blocked and don't know why. According to our UNIX/Linux guy, incoming connections are limited during tax season, that they'll just have to keep trying, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Not really IT bitching, but...

:v: Oh hi, here's a form they need up at <location>.

:black101: Sure, not a... no. It's not been approved. Is that some draft version?

:v: No, <supervisor> emailed it out.

:black101: OK, they get the last approved version.

...a few minutes of hunting later...

:black101: Hey, what's this new form revision?

:confuoot: Oh! Don't use that, I recalled the email.

:black101: Apparently it didn't take.

:confuoot: Well, don't use it, it has our old business name and the wrong zipcode.

..shortly...

:black101: Oh, what the hell. Our approved form (last modified Oct 2012, rev date Apr 2012) has the wrong information too.

:black101: And the previous rev... is identical. <migraine salute>

Ayup. Not only is our poo poo not right, but the actual paperwork that's mandatory for legal/medical/organisational requirements is just kind of being revised and passed around on the fly. Which wouldn't have been discovered if that one form hadn't come in by hand, with someone who could tell me WTF. (Well, sorta.)

Oh, bonus: my own supervisor didn't know where the actual approved-and-used forms directory was located. As best I can tell without randomly spelunking the network drives, whatever share she was looking at isn't accessible by my credentials.

Wonder how far downhill this will end up rolling? Oh well, if I do end up under the bus, I'm certain there's lots of room to take other folks with.

/me is now browsing remote-controlled DIY robot websites.

And chainsaw reviews.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate how Microsoft's Social TechNet QA site works. It's a lovely rip-off of Stack Exchange. And they always list the 'answer' and then they have 'other replies', which includes the answer. So you get to read the 'answer' twice... So loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also all the answers are wrong and people get very angry over minutiae.

So like the internet generally.