Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yet another security system compromised. Same poo poo different day.

I swear it's nearly guaranteed to happen to every company at some point. At least the numbers were encrypted. They didn't say anything about passwords so I guess it's just sales data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Dear Java updater: if you have an option to change how often you notify me of updates (once a month), please adhere to it. This poo poo where you wait until ~5 minutes after I've started Windows and am already doing something and then steal focus, every single day, is a never-ending source of irritation.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

dogstile posted:

Well i'm a loving idiot. One of out clients who I talked to a fair bit and got on with asked me if people at my company liked her. I said "its probably mixed, as with working relationship some people like working with certain people more than others" and assured her that everyone I heard talking about her liked her.

She only paid attention to the part I quoted and has written a complaint into the company and now its on my head. Way to go fuckhead, you just hosed over the only person willing to do you a favour.

E: Just had a meeting with my boss. He was surprisingly calm and just told me that I need to be like a politician and dodge more questions than I answer. Seems fair enough.

This sounds hilarious. What kind of complaint can someone make about people not liking them, exactly?

"Someone smiled at me today but it was slightly smaller than the smiles I get from other people. This is affecting production my ego."

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, the other side of that is coming in late is a pretty hard thing to defend and get self-righteous about.

I don't think it is! He's a dev, it barely matters at all when he's in, unless his non-presence is keeping others from progressing. E.g. where I work (a software company), we have "core hours" during which everyone is officially expected to be at work (9am-3pm I think), partially for that purpose, and partially so customers can find us. Thing is though, it's so unimportant in practice that we have people who ignore it on a daily basis and nobody cares. As long as people get their work done in a reasonable timeframe, it basically doesn't matter when you are or aren't there.

This is at a big company whose name you would recognize.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Additional rant, Sage Saleslogix. It's this loving unreliable sync system.. it's the 21st century, can't we have the data stored in the butt or something?

dissss posted:

Apparently the new owners of Saleslogix (it has changed hands twice in the past couple of years) are focusing 'all development effort' on their butt-hosted offering.

Cloud-to-butt is becoming reality.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

In TYOOL 2014 explorer.exe has been crashing on me. I'm pretty sure it's InfoPath's fault.

Also, in TYOOL 2014, I am still using InfoPath. Could be worse though; I could still be on 2007 instead of 2010.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

My company acts on Gallup results. At the local level at least, not sure about what happens at higher levels. Sometimes the action doesn't produce anything of value but we all try.

I thought it was going to be a bullshit survey at first, but I was wrong. I still expect it to be bullshit at most places though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

See also: hacking and probably many others. Words get appropriated by the general public who redefine it to mean what they think it means.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

I don't get it. :smith:

His finger is the mouse pointer. Using a keyboard would be the equivalent of talking.

I didn't get it either for a while.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

loving hackers, all of you.

My local news site did that too, but they eventually fixed it. I only knew about it for a week or so.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Maybe they wanted to know if a package had arrived?

Tracking numbers are often not very accurate.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

McDeth posted:

Serious question: You're an IT Vendor that has sold a company on a product that you said could do X, Y and Z. It turns out that the original product can do everything except for Z but you've already spent 10 hours on a fixed-cost bid researching why it can't do Z.

Would you bill the customer for the time spent to discover it can't do Z? I ask this because one of our vendors is now trying to invoice our company after they hosed up and sold us an RSA device that they said should be able to do something when it turns out that it can't. They are now trying to invoice us for the hours they wasted on-site trying to implement said product into our system. My first reaction is to tell them to gently caress off because they sold us a piece of equipment that didn't work as advertised and it's not our fault they wasted 10 hours doing something the product couldn't do. Am I overreacting?

I think this could result in a yes in certain situations. It depends on things like: do they make the device, was there any voiced uncertainty about whether it could do Z, do they specialize in that type of equipment, what does the official literature about the device say, etc.

If there's a history of improper billing or general incompetence, then it is more likely to be no, but imo it's not as simple to decide based on what was posted here.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

The best position is the next one. Move around. No matter the position it's going to be bad for you if you stay in it for several hours.

Cue some company making a chair that constantly morphs into several different positions.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That depends on your company's culture.

But even regardless of that, trying to enforce it is going too far. Nod and put on headphones or something.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I could see it being a valid choice if your software connects to a database you don't control, on a high latency connection, and caches the data for further use.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

To be good at something, you have to do it frequently. Just like software engineering is not network administration, writing a driver is not writing a website.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if I intentionally or nearly-intentionally put myself out of a job that was annoying, pointless, and boring.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

dogstile posted:

At this point, isn't it more length rather than special characters that stop a dedicated hacking attempt?

Randall Monroe apologized to people for his simplification but I don't know if he ever apologized for the effect it has on threads like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Makes me think of when Mailchimp hosed their logo up

What's wrong with it? I googled mail chimp logo controversy and got an article that praises it as one of the top ten logo redesigns.