Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress refurbished toner cartridges.

This is all I buy these days, they work great for me and are typically <20% the price of OEM. Every now and then we will get a bad one but the cost savings greatly outweighs the inconvenience.

Maybe you just don't have a good source for them? I use these guys a lot: http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Get into work this morning, turn the corner to get into my cube and...

Spiders. Everywhere.

Well ok plastic spiders but I certainly let out a gasp when I saw them and thought they were real for about a split second. Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I didn't think it was possible to hate Adobe more than I do already, but there you have it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We're planning on rolling out Office 2013 company-wide, so I went to install it on my computer to begin to familiarize myself.

And then I uninstalled it because our Exchange server is 2003 which doesn't work with Outlook 2013. :suicide:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Caged posted:

:suspense:

Awaiting the tales of a hurried Exchange migration.

It was planned but I guess my boss kinda forgot how necessary it was...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lum posted:

Is there actually any compelling reason to go to Office 2013 at all. This in the context of a home user who currently has the 3 user family pack for Office 2010.

So far I've heard nothing but complaints which may or may not be true.

lovely installer, lovely licensing model, enforced cloud bullshit.

What are the actual advantages?

I don't know honestly, it was my boss that bought the licenses. I've not even had the chance to use 2013 yet. We have 2007 deployed on some machines here, but not enough licenses to install it everywhere. Due to non-profit pricing we were able to get enough licenses on the cheap to cover every computer, I imagine buying the 2013 licenses made more sense than continuing to install software two versions behind.

Also we've got one department bitching about needing Access 2010 for some reason they've yet to justify to us.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Good news everyone! We no longer have an HR department.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RadicalR posted:

You can't just say this and not spill the juicy details. Cough it up!

Oh it's just that the remaining person in HR has been fired/quit. I was asked to deactivate her account and that is all I know.

Given that we are 6 months out from my boss quitting with no replacement in sight (a part-time consultant is filling in), this does not bode well at all. The turnover we have here is tremendous, and they couldn't even keep up when we did have an HR department.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

That sounds pretty terminal, hope you are applying for other jobs

If I knew what was good for me, yeah I probably should. It's starting to feel like rats fleeing the sinking ship around here.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casull posted:

I'm in favor of "in case of emergency, do the needful" with a big old arrow pointing toward the bottle opener.

Yes, this, please. Having the SA grenade is so embarrassingly nerdy I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. At least if someone asks what 'do the needful' means I can explain it and not feel like a huge dork.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yesterday I finally deleted a computer from the domain that hadn't been online in over a year, no one could locate it. I was even on-site this week and looked for it, no dice. Presumed lost/disposed.

Today someone calls me to say they can't log into it. :bang:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

mission still accomplished.

It's true. I'm not sure which lesson I should be learning from this: that disable is better than delete or that disabling access on things is a better way to get compliance than sending a friendly email asking for information.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

the spyder posted:

Does anyone know if it is legal for a company to randomly poll all employees requesting/requiring their college transcripts?

You can guess what is pissing me off. I've been here for ~2 years and out of the blue they are "auditing" everyone.

That actually happened this week to me too. And 3.5 years. I was told it was for "education verification".

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Verdugo posted:

I was working on a laptop and they put the key sticker UNDER the battery in the battery compartment -- talk about the most unintuitive place to put a COA. It was an HP Envy.

That's every Dell laptop for the past year+.

But I will say the first time I saw one like that, it did befuddle for me a bit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It was 28F when I left for work this morning, and I even had to scrape ice off my windshield. I wore a cardigan. :smug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of us are not polar bears. :smith: (or seals :v:)

(I grew up in Houston, so "cold" to me is anything south of 50F. Then again, "hot" for me isn't until north of like 95F, whereas there's loads of people around here that start acting like they're dying at like 80F.)

I love the cold and snow, but I usually turn into a huge wuss when it gets over 80F and 60%+ humidity here in the summer so I'm probably one of those people. About to move somewhere that will be my first residence ever without central air, I'm not yet sure how I'm going to cope next summer... :ohdear:

Back on topic, poo poo that's pissing me off today is after being off on Monday I come back to find a whole bunch of poo poo my coworker had to do in my absence that he half-assed and now I'm having to deal with. One of the things he did (poorly) is something I have very extensively documented. I'm getting really tired of having to remind the guy to do some of this poo poo over and over and over again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've found my hell, it's setting up new print servers.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

rolleyes posted:

I'm going to be controversial and give some love for printers. Our company recently changed from using HP to Ricoh. Now I have absolutely no idea how painful they were or weren't to set up as I have no involvement in that, but holy crap are they orders of magnitude faster than the old HPs and the group who set them up deserves medals, raises and general congratulations.

With both the old and new setup we have universal printing (print to one queue, swipe access card on any printer to collect) and something about this in combination with PDFs on the HP printers resulted in about 2ppm if you were lucky. What the Ricohs manage by comparison is like going from travel by horse to travel by Concorde.

We have medium and large-ish Ricoh MFPs at all our sites so I give you my condolences. The printers themselves are mostly fine I guess but dealing with Ricoh service and contracts and accounting people is a gigantic clusterfuck and they do not give two shits about you.

And if you ever have a need to print labels on one of your Ricohs, just don't. Really, don't.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

As we go forward, these people age out and the excuses for destroying a network will become much less accepted. A baseline of computer literacy will be more strongly enforced.

Right about the time we also get to experience the paperless office, yes siree.

Misogynist posted:

It's cool, we'll be just as incompetent in something new that we don't understand once we get up there in years.

Becoming this scares me more than literally anything else in the world.

My mother was once CIO for an entire school district and now sometimes even the most intuitive functions of her cell phone absolutely baffle her. Someday I might be just like her, and it is a terrifying thought.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Misogynist posted:

Now ask the same person to describe their problems to a mechanic who continually interrupts them to give them a condescending frown, and tell them how their explanations aren't good enough and demonstrate a really serious misunderstanding of how cars work. Do this over and over and over, every week, for years. Then, see if you get the same quantity of words coming out.

I'm sure there are people out there like this but in the end, this is a customer service industry. I'd argue that these people are the exception and not the rule, who would eventually be weeded out by their management. You're also stripping all agency from the user's role, shouldn't they be responsible for learning something about the hardware and software they use day in and day out?

People understand the rudimentary functions and parts of cars because in order to operate them, they are required to go through training and pass tests to become licensed drivers. Have you ever heard of a company that hire non-IT positions and put them through computer training and tests, contingent upon employment? They probably exist, but I've never heard anyone in this thread ever mention their company does. Mine sure doesn't. You can't lay all the blame on the poor computer janitors.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I would take a guess that more than a majority of people who drive a car can tell you where the engine is, how many wheels it's got, that it has windows, etc. That's 'rudimentary'. If their window is broken or they can't roll it down, they can probably tell you as much when they bring it into the garage. If the engine is making funny noises they can probably at least point to the general area. People sit in front of computers more hours in a day than they spend in cars, but I have users who call me up and say they have problems with their "patlet" and can't even differentiate between their monitor and desktop computer chassis when I ask them what computer they are currently using. This is basic, rudimentary computer knowledge that I honestly don't know how they haven't even picked up through osmosis at this point.

Sure hospitals have training for specific software applications for charting, etc. I work in healthcare, and we do the same thing. That's more because of hospital systems using their own flavor of EMR software, and less because of computer literacy. What I meant was what organization out there puts their non-IT people through basic computer testing as a condition of their employment? I've never heard of it, anywhere. Maybe its unrealistic to expect it to happen anytime soon but it's 2013 and jesus christ I have actual clinicians who see patients who have meltdowns every 90 days when they have to change their credentials because they are utterly incapable of remembering two distinct passwords. These kinds of skills should be basic and a requirement on getting/keeping your job.

And I'd like to think most of my users love me because I'm usually very patient with even the most computer challenged of them. One brought me beer once. :colbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

To harken back on a previous discusion,

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5126666/winamp-media-player-shutting-down-after-over-15-years

quote:

Winamp shutting down after over 15 years

The famous media player Winamp will shut down next month, over 15 years after its initial release. Though Winamp eventually lost popularity, in the late '90s and early 2000s it was one of the go-to media players for listening to local music or radio streams. In 2002, Winamp's maker, Nullsoft, was acquired by AOL for over $80 million in stock, where it's remained in development until now. A Mac and an Android version were even released in recent years, though they never found the same fan base that its customizable Windows client did.

No reason is given for Winamp's shutdown, but its popularity has certainly waned: simple, built-in audio solutions like iTunes are now ubiquitous across platforms, making Winamp a far more specialized app. In a retrospective published last year, Ars Technica reported that Winamp had existed for years on life support, but that those involved didn't believe it was dead yet. Now that it's nearly gone, those who want to relive old times should head over to Winamp's site before December 21st, when it'll no longer be available — its famous motto, of course, will always live on somewhere.

nooooooooooo :qq:

RIP all those whipped llama asses

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, I'm sorry to hear that Paladine_PSoT. Good luck in the job search. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Amazon is working on the greatest year round secret santa program ever (drone delivery). What's Microsoft working on?

Ahahaha. Uh, wow. Will it let me know if I'm being too hysterical because it's 'that time of the month', too?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So I just had my annual review (only 6 months late!) and was told how wonderful I am with the exception that I need to work on "polishing" my interactions with upper management. Apparently some VP complained that I wasn't kissing rear end enough?? That's how I read it anyway... :allears:

Also got the annual "we love you, you are an asset, the company wants to commit to you if you will commit to them!" spiel. I really want to believe him this time but I should know better.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Did you ask how the company's commitment will effect your next paycheck?

I was told that an increase in pay was on the horizon but how much that will be seems nebulous. He did insinuate it would be substantial but I also know we pay people poo poo here soooooooo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TWBalls posted:

I'm not even sure how quickly I'd be able to grab something off of a 3.5" floppy. I have drives, but the majority of our systems don't even have a floppy connector. I do have a USB floppy drive... somewhere.

Apparently floppy disk drives are making a bit of a comeback, among...musicians??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_XaJ7gE4Q

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I recently had to implement a naming convention for servers and found and used this resource:

http://virtualizationreview.com/blogs/virtual-insider/2011/10/how-to-design-an-effective-naming-convention.aspx

In the end we went with <Company Name><2 letter location identifier><one letter desgination of type of machine (P for physical, V for virtualized)>-<function><number>

So they are all ZZZHQP-DC01 for the first physical domain controller at our headquarters for affiliate ZZZ, etc.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A computer that won't boot came in, from a user who works at a remote site. One look at the computer and I can see exactly why it won't boot: the thing has been abused, has obviously been dropped, is loving filthy, and isn't even 6 months old. This is the the 3rd or 4th hard drive I've had to replace for this user over the past ~2 years. With her old computer, while it always came in filthy it had no obvious damage and only moderate wear and tear, so it was always a bit of a mystery why she continued to have problems. The last time the hard drive died she whined all the way to the CEO about her 'defective' equipment and we bought her a new one, back in May. When she called to say she was having the same problem again I probed her a bit about her usage habits and she swore up and down about how she's never dropped it, always turns it off before putting it in her bag, etc etc.

Now that I actually have it I can see every corner shows signs of being dropped, the expansion bay is actually dented, and there's not a clean surface on the case, screen, or keyboard. loving ugh. Going to chat with my boss on Monday before I call her up and give her a talking to. She's going to be rewarded for her carelessness with an SSD I ordered before I got a chance to see this thing.

:mad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pissing me off already this morning: users who come into my office and absolutely reek. This person stank of cigarettes so bad her smell lingered for several minutes after she had left. She works in a customer-facing position too, ugh.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We're getting a pizza party for Christmas! :unsmith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Not pissing me off tonight - getting a call from my boss telling me the base is closed tomorrow. 3-day weekend!!

High-five snow day buddy! Apparently my boss is going to show up tomorrow because he's a workaholic, but me I'm staying in with my fully stocked beer fridge. Free PTO awww yeahhhh. :cheers:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo pissing me off:

Actually I kinda like it. Except that my snow day of drinking beer and watching TV turned into the "drive my mom to the doctor because she has pneumonia and get stuck in the snow in the process". Luckily a good samaritan shoveled out my car after I got stuck trying to get to the top of my mom's street. She still had to walk a block to my car which put her into an acute asthma attack. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can wear jeans in my office only on Friday's and only if I pay $2* to buy this dumb sticker. It's "optional" but if you don't do it our new VP comes around with a pack of stickers and peer pressures you into buying one. The price went up from $1 on the first of the year so I've decided to just stop paying and wait for the inevitable confrontation I'm going to have with her.

*The money goes to a charity so maybe it makes me a miser to not pay. But sorry, I feel incredibly underpaid as it is, I'm not giving you $104 of my money to wear jeans.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FISHMANPET posted:

Isn't it better ergonomically to be looking down at your monitor, rather than up?

Neither, you want to be looking straight ahead.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

evol262 posted:

I don't get the Java hate.

The constant security holes aren't enough of a reason? Hell, it's even got it's own wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_security

Edit: Oh, and here's what the US Department of Homeland Security has to say about Java:

One of many articles talking about the zero-day exploit posted:

"Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in Web browsers, disable it [...] even after updating to [Update 11]."

Code breaks the source for that quote, it's here: http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix-7000009785/

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 16, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Four day weekend in Jersey visiting a friend. We're hitting NYC and a few other places this weekend to drink all the beer. Unfortunately she had to work today last minute so we're sitting in her office bullshitting until we can go drink.

Within 5 minutes of being here she asks me if I know anything about connecting printers to the network and can I take a look at this new one in the office that isn't working?

:rubshands:

Just had to do a factory reset, I didn't really mind

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moey posted:

Why are you not drinking in the lobby while you wait?

We just went to lunch and had beer there, a Kane IPA. In an hourish we're heading to Carton Brewery to get our drink on. Plenty of daylight left to get crunk.

:guinness:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What, you guys aren't making your own yogurt? Plebes. :smuggo:

tbqh I can't stand yogurt, I think it's a texture thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I once had a user call me up complaining that her patlet wouldn't turn on. We got a few rounds into 20 Questions before I realized she meant laptop. Still not sure if I can chalk that one up to dyslexia or if she was possibly mid-stroke.