Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
At a previous job someone referred to it as getting hit by a turnip truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A few weeks ago I talked to a vendor at a conference, gave them my email address to enter their raffle, I know how the game is played. I do not give them any phone numbers. A week later I get a message from my mom, some guy from <vendor> called her looking for me. Well now this week the same guy finally got around to emailing me. How the hell did he get my mom's phone number? Why in the hell did he think it was remotely acceptable to call that number?

For reference I'm 35, married, haven't lived at home since high school, and I don't even have the same last name as my mom, so just completely off-the-wall inappropriate, for so many reasons.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also I can't imagine the hosed up company dynamics that lead to "my code is bad" to be a help desk issue.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As a member of <team> I won't to do <task> so that it is complete.

See, absolutely no problem describing BAU as a User Story.

Gatac posted:

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed.

I say this all the time about our SAFe implementation, which we've basically been flailing around for two years for a variety of reasons, but mostly boiling down to it being a completely inappropriate framework for ops work but the only response from leadership is to double down, triple down, quadruple down on SAFe rituals as if it's some kind of holy tome, instead of putting in the real difficult work of molding it to fit the work, or admitting that it's just not working.

Events yesterday that happened to a good friend (coworker may have finally driven me over the edge though, and I'll be spending a fair amount of my time from now on applying to new jobs.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
SAFe is top down waterfall style project management with a dusting of agile buzzwords, so leadership can still be in control, but say they're agile with empowered product teams. I'm sure it works some places, once they've tweaked it for their environment, but that requires understanding what all the "rituals" are supposed to deliver, and why they're not delivering that for your organization. Instead we just keep doubling down on SAFe rituals because we don't see the outcome the framework says we should be getting, but we don't understand why, so we just "SAFe harder". Oh, the end of PI system demo is supposed to show the value created during the PI but it's not doing that. Ok, what if we have two PI demos per PI. Oh still not cutting it? Let's have org wide demos every sprint, surely then the value created will be demonstrated.

Refining a User Story to fit the work would require understanding how a user story delivers value, but absent doing that, you just blindly stumble through. I guess my example could have been interested as useful, so here's a more realistic example.

As a member of the SRE team, I want to patch the server so that it is patched. The <team> is just the team of the person doing the work, the <task> is just a normal operational task, and the "so that" is just regurgitating the task to be done.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We keep writing "User Stories" that are just tasks to complete, and I am absolutely losing my loving mind.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I would settle for vendors that don't somehow find my mom's phone number and call her to try and get a hold of me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

klosterdev posted:

Our ticketing system is currently stuck in a loop between "Here's an email with your ticket number" and an automated Out of Office reply.

I once had this happen between two instances of Request Tracker, one of them being ours. I think I had to go into a mailspool file and manually nuke an incoming message to stop the loop.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Today I'm going into yet another round in a years-long fight with people who don't understand the difference between a "document" and "documentation."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
3 years ago I built up a little system that makes it easy for people to write documentation in markdown, get it build into a static HTML site, and get it published on a web server with access control. None of the individual pieces are that complicated, but I glued them all together in a way that lots of technical people find useful. Unrelatedly, we also have a "document management" group that runs a system that's used for digitizing and storing things like invoices, student and employee records, or grant documents. So many people just get completely confused and wonder why the "document management" team can't handle this "documentation" tool I've written, despite the only similarity being the letters "d o c u m e n t" being present in each term.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My director has completely forgotten the purpose of IT, he thinks we should be doing the "business" of the organization rather than just enabling it, and he's got some kind of silver tongue that can convince other higher ups of just about anything, no matter how much evidence they're presented with that he's clueless.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Of course people are free to do whatever they want, but literally the whole world disagrees with that usage of version numbers. Maybe print out the semver site and beat them over the head with it https://semver.org/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) PI (Program Increment) Planning week, and boy is it poo poo that's pissing me off.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ha, architects! We don't have any of those, because they might defy the divine strategic wisdom laid out by the people managers (why are people managers doing strategy rather than product mangers?). We've taken SAFe, thrown at all the parts that might possibly be useful, and just left ourselves with endless meetings and rituals, and endlessly shoveling money into the "SAFe training" furnace.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol our security team wouldn't even let me write a PowerShell script to do anything useful with Rapid7 alerts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I really should stop being surprised, but some I still am surprised at how few IT people even read messages before just freaking out and screaming "HELP!"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This was an email from a vendor for a product that isn't supported, basically saying you need to whitelist some new domains, if you filter domains. And it also explicitly said that if you don't filter domains, you don't have to do anything.

So some lab people got this email and it says "you're getting this email because you're an owner or admin of X" and those people didn't read it and freaked out and forwarded it to their local IT person. Who also didn't bother to read, and just sent the image to central IT like "what should I tell them?" And I basically just read the email back to him in more digestible chunks. Like, "We don't support that, so it's the responsibility of the owners or admins of X, as it says in the first sentence. But a relevant line might be 'if you don't do any filtering, no action is needed'"

It's sort of a microcosm of a poo poo I see that pisses me off. We're a massive public research university, and by necessity there are lots of weird IT needs. IT can't become experts in how to use every microscope controller and 20 year old excel macro that's in use. But nobody seems to be willing to say that to anybody. I hang out in the slack channels for our support teams and see tons of questions from the help desk to them like " A user called, do we support <esoteric thing>" and nobody's willing to say" No, you're on your own, you must be this tall to ride."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Fool posted:

that being said

Excuse me, SAFe 6.0 just came out recently!

Our SAFe cancer started in our infrastructure directorate, the result of a new director who is incredibly bad at his job and has no idea what his directorate does. We have this constant seesaw between "business objectives are about introducing new capabilities" and "the work to maintain systems is being ignored by SAFe" which leads to absolutely stupid poo poo like business objectives that are just "we will patch the servers every month" and then the Release Train Engineer asking "why new capabilities will this feature introduce". loving idiots every last one of them.

I've read enough about SAFe to see that there is potentially some value in pieces of it. The key is you have to look at a SAFe ritual, understand what value that ritual is supposed to deliver, and most importantly, understand how that ritual delivers value. Then when you follow the ritual as written and it doesn't deliver the value the SAFe bible says it will, you know how to modify it to suit your organization. This is a problem with all frameworks, but there's something about SAFe that makes it particularly bad. The framework becomes the goal, rather than a tool to deliver on your actual goal. That's easy, because it doesn't require any understanding. You just need to rote repeat the rituals, and then divinely, good things will happen. It really does feel like a religion, where it's all faith based. Nobody in charge understands how anything works, they just think that if they do the incantations the proper way, as written in the book, that good things will happen. SAFe is actually fine, it's just catnip to leaders who aren't capable of higher level thinking, because it looks like if you just SAFe hard enough that your org will be succesful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The thing where in all 3 situations, the user talked to their manager instead of IT tells me there's some larger cultural issue at play. It's not just these 3 users that don't want to go through IT, it's these 3 managers who are training their employees to not go through IT. That's the problem, and it's even more above your pay grade than 3 employees that don't want to go through IT. Culture change at an organizational level is hard. If your IT leadership isn't going to identify it as a problem and try to solve it, there's nothing you can do as merely a staff member.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, I miss my ConfigMgr days, those were simpler times. I never got tired of it, I just ended up drifting farther and farther away because the platform was managing itself, until unrelated political fuckery pulled me out of the game entirely.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got the Zoom integration installed in our Slack instance so if I want to start a meeting I just type /zoom and boom there's a meeting link we can all join.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We had an in-person event yesterday, and I'm very sorry to report that after the formal meeting, a coworker and I were able to grab a conference room and work together quickly on something in a way that we'd never quite been able to remotely. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked for thoughts and prayers at this time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's actually quite funny how it happened. We were there because we had an in person "ceremony" for lack of a better term, using my Das Deployer. Then the two of us ended up in the same zoom meeting with some other actually remote people, and then at the end I was like "Hey, where are you, I'll come to you and we can hammer this out quickly" and we did.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Job hunting is just the worst. I got "fired" 2 months ago but because of the way our employment agreements are and my length of service (over a decade) I get a year long "notice period" where I'm removed from my team but still employed, and in theory assigned some pointless makework but nobody cares, so it's basically my full time job to find a new job.

Anyway specifically i'm complaining about this particular job portal that parsed my resume for "skills" and found pretty much every noun listed on my resume, so it's automatically found skills like "organizational" and "initiatives". Now I have to go through and parse this list by hand, and the text box on the website isn't even big enough to hold all the text, so I have to copy it into notepad and update it there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is Premium worth it, or is it just extra info to give you more anxiety about the job search process?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've seen that Teams can give a summary of the meeting for people who joined a few minutes late so I feel like we're not far off from that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sibling of TB posted:

Just a running summary, AI meeting notes would be nice. But I don't really want that to be a real thing because I bet it would lead to meetings being worse somehow , maybe just for myself.

Meetings are terrible and the ease with which you can hold a meeting and invite people from all over the org when they're Teams/Zoom meetings has only made it worse. While anything that makes that experience better seems like a good thing, it also means we keep doubling down on this terrible model because technology keeps making it just barely tolerable even as it gets worse.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A jumble of loose pieces of paper strewn across my desk hasn't done me wrong yet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fil5000 posted:

There's twenty four hours of meetings in there as well, phone calls, conference calls and "public events" are all basically meetings. They do five hours work a week and spend the rest telling people the work they've done

I'd stick "business meals" in that meeting category as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think you own the decision but "regret" the impact, so in this case that seems... fine. I feel like there's this silent agreement in society where everybody knows that corporate speak is bullshit and what it really means but we still have to do it. So nobody is really fooled by that statement, but we've all just agreed that companies will talk like that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I assumed it was just short for "padlock" which would be an indication that the file is locked for editing (by someone else) but I don't use Sharepoint to know if that's even a capability it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

klosterdev posted:

Dell, I sent you a video of the fan grinding, it's the only moving part in the laptop and the sound is unmistakable. I shouldn't need to have the laptop with me to make a warranty claim on it.

My last latitude I went through like 6 or 7 fans, all under warranty. For some reason they'd send me both a standalone fan, and a heatsink pipe with identical fan attached, so every warranty claim was good for 2 fan failures, since the parts were "disposable" and they didn't want them back.