Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
F5 BigIP iApps can all go die in a fire. Every single one I've come across have all left out some detail that is needed to provide functionality to whatever you're trying to load balance/reverse proxy etc. Lync 2013 for example it left out the port 80 portion of the reverse proxy that is needed for mobile clients and also didn't assign the ssl certificates for the edge server. Good work douchebags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namol
Mar 21, 2007
PCI compliance. We had a breach last year some where in the card data environment and so visa is coming in to audit us this year. They've blown this poo poo off for around 10 months and now it's hurry up and get it done. We can't have the PCI vlan touch the VMware servers because of some bad magic or some poo poo. We're using jump boxes to get into the PCI environment and we're connecting to those with dameware. Why we're not going with a terminal server running max encryption and two factor authentication? Because someone could have a key logger installed on their PC. This whole thing is a clusterfuck and I highly doubt we'll pass this audit with flying colors. I'm beyond flabbergasted with dealing with this. We're taking all the advice from these consultants instead of making well informed decisions. God drat I need a drink

namol
Mar 21, 2007
Who are you people that use putty on a Mac? Seriously what the hell.

PCI auditors want us to regularly use Nessus to scan PCI vlan but want it to be a physical box instead of the VMware one we have. Queue installing Ubuntu onto a dell 7010 desktop. Enterprise grade advice oh PCI consultants.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
So today I started a 5 day course for scom, about 2 pm est the instructor just drops out because of some ice storm or some bullshit like that in Frankfort Kentucky. To make things worse this is geared at IT professionals and this lady is walking us through how to create ad accounts and groups etc. how she got to be the instructor I have no loving clue.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Dave_Indeed posted:

I feel you. Time Warner Cable told me this house I just bought was serviceable, then when I moved in they were like, "no bitch that's wrong, you're crazy bitch"... so I'm always on call for work and very often have to use this garbage satellite internet that has a 10gb cap and no vpn access to do my job. Plus an 800 ms ping that makes logmein a joy to use.

I bitched to the FCC, State Attorney General, the BBB, TWC itself, my village representatives, the governor of Ohio, and recruited a contractor to set up a business line (and bitch at them mercilessly). That was all for fun though, I'm likely just going to have to wait for a 3G tower to get converted to 4G.

What part of ohio is this backwoods? Try contacting the puco

namol
Mar 21, 2007

dennyk posted:

Only if you are in a handful of federally-regulated fields where being too tired can kill innocent bystanders, like driving trucks or flying commercial aircraft. Otherwise, you work however long your company wants you to work. And if you're an employee and you're exempt from overtime laws, then you don't even have to be paid anything above your base salary for the extra time. 95% of the folks in this thread who are employees (as opposed to contractors) are almost certainly exempt; the overtime exemption level for salaried employees in "professional" fields (which includes basically all of IT) is less then $24k USD per year (a salary level which, if you're the sole breadwinner in a family of four, literally puts you at the poverty line in the US).

I thought the hourly rate was 27 and change which puts you at a salary of 56-57k. No matter what the laws for workers suck in 'Murica.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
AD and DNS round robin of resolving domain names. We have multiple DCs located in different sites etc but for some loving reason the round robin will resolve corp.contoso.com to DCs out of the site. It's so god drat annoying because it's causing login scripts to fail \\corp.contoso.com\netlogon because if the client resolves the domain to an ip address outside of the site, it can't talk to it because it's behind a firewall.

Fake Edit--Looked at DNS, looks like some jackass put loving static A entries in for those 2 servers. This place is a loving mess.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Wow, way overdone for a bootable usb stick.

Insert usb stick
Rufus
Drink beer (i.e. the needful)

Thanks for posting this, totally helped me with a screwy thin client that wasn't pxe booting!

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Time-wasting request of the day from my boss:

"See if you can find someone online that buys APC UPS battery sleds. They have to be worth something. They'll probably send us a shipping label and everything."

Most junkyards around here take ewaste and pay decently for it. You should see if any around you do the same and then start funneling the stuff out for your alcohol fund.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

VanOwen posted:

I live and work in Boston. I work for a security company that creates applications for penetration testing and security analytics. I recently had the delight of doing the technical interviews for all the potential folks looking to get into one of our senior support roles. Due to the nature of the work the people we need to know networking pretty well and know a good bit of linux admin. My boss made me do all the technical questions of which I made a page or 2 of softball questions just to screen out the idiots. The follow is a typical conversation with people that actually came in to interview.

VanOwen - :) Your resume says you know linux!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) Great! How would I see all the files in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :crossarms: Uh... OK. Maybe you're nervous? You must be nervous. Its 'ls'.
RandomPerson - :downs: Oh right. Of course! Ha ha!
VanOwen - :) Ha ha! OK so how could I show all the permissions on files and folders in a directory?
RandomPerson - :downs: Uhh... Not sure!
VanOwen - :stare: So... you... ah... OK. Hey! Your resume says you know DNS! That's a thing!
RandomPerson - :downs: Sure do!
VanOwen - :) So how does name resolution work?
RandomPerson - :downs: - Uhh... whats that?
VanOwen - :cripes:

Repeat this half a dozen times. And bear in mind I haven't even gotten to the stuff on networking, LDAP, SQL, python, regexp, or up-teen other items on my list.

Tenable? Cause that would explain some of my experiences with them...

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

As a default, absolutely. Group policy should be configuring this though and not allowing auto reboots. It should be one of the first things you do in any active directory environment.

Or let your SCCM environment handle patching etc :)

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Wouldn't you be using DBAN anyway, just so that some slub picking it out of the trash doesn't get all of your company info?

Sans/raid doesn't work like that, you could shuffle the drives around reinitialize them to overwrite anything that was previously there but most sans have utilities to wipe them. I'm not saying not to dban individual drives but dbanning a San is kinda funny in thought.

namol fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 26, 2014

namol
Mar 21, 2007

nitrogen posted:

Harpsichord ringtone here.

Seriously, someone in my office uses the "ARE YOU THERE?" ringtone and i want to beat him senseless.

My cisco ringtone is the Scatting Octopus from the Geico commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1fUeWLFQc

namol
Mar 21, 2007
Going back to picture chat, my lync profile picture is a jar of Apple butter since we have a facility next to the smucker's facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Does anyone here deal with F5 BIG-IP?

We use it for load balancing and SSL offloading for our IIS sites. I'm not the main person who manages it but I have to touch it every now and again. It seems to be a huge loving hassle to add new websites (ex. a subdomain on an existing site) into the config, with my coworker spending days getting everything configured. From my limited knowledge of this system, we should be using iApps to streamline a lot of this stuff, but we are not. More and more I get the feeling that we're doing something wrong with our setup, or there's a better way of doing things.

I'm close to proposing an consulting engagement with the VAR who sells us our licenses but I want to be a little more certain before overturning the cart.

I work with ours daily and it takes like 3 minutes to add a new site / subdomain to something. Perhaps the issue lies with the person doing the config? We typically use iapps pretty much for anything just to make management of the system easier.