Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

teethgrinder posted:

Got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple Store on Friday, for the third time... and it just kernel-panicked again. They said this time it was probably memory + software configurations. Still haven't changed the motherboard. It's using official Apple RAM.

:bang:

tcook@apple.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

quote:

***Swing Shift position - Wednesday - Saturday 2:30 PM - 12:30 AM.***

***Grave Shift position - Sunday - Wednesday 12:00 AM - 10:00 AM.***

This just came in in a help wanted email from a recruiter. Holy poo poo is that a terrible shift. I means there's at least one blatant typo in there, but my god. Maybe it's for two different positions, but the email only mentions one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MF_James posted:

That looks like 6-10hour shifts to me. Wednesday 230pm-12:30am Thursday 230pm-1230am friday230pm-1230am, and then sunday 12am-10am, monday 12am-10am and tuesday 12am-10am... And that's thinking it's just one job. If it's two jobs it looks like 4-10hour shifts, wed/thurs/fri/sat 230pm-1230am and sunday/mon/tues/wed 12am-10am. Very poorly worded postings either way.

Who is at all surprised that the recruiter didn't respond to my inquiry about the schedule ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Why the gently caress would someone only put some of the full-time, permanent, salaried staff in Active Directory ? Shouldn't you hit yourself in the head with a hammer when "gently caress it, I'll just stop here" crosses your mind ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

My favorite part of being caught in this is the disparity between the banality of the request and the rage of the recipient. Like, I'm just trying to do my job like it says here, I have no idea why you're freaking out at me.

He's been lying about having the entitlements to the in-house team for ages. if you shut up, go away, and make it work without them he gets to keep his job. Or they know they don't have them and need you to shut up about it because buying them would blow the budget for the project.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh wow. I've taken over as my new employer's first actual IT Manager. I'm whiling away a Saturday afternoon reading service contracts. Here's one with a few gems.

* A "full detail" invoice costs $14.95
* They have an encrypted fax number for sending in credit card details.

I asked these folks about adding a new user account. They said 5 business days, then said "it might only take 3, but sometimes it takes 5 so we only promise that". Out of the goodness of their hearts they initiated the process to allow us to add accounts by an email request. This requires their Legal department to generate a contract addendum.

I also found one huge chunk of leverage. Never mind the Earth, I can shift Jupiter with this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Drighton posted:

I've seen a book mentioned a few times in these threads for IT management. Anyone remember what it is? Or maybe have one they recommend?

The Mythical Man Month is on the required reading list. Brooks managed mainframe development projects for IBM and took away a lot of useful lessons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Next up on the little annoying things that turn into mammoth tasks that take me away from some important projects I HAVE to get finished before leaving the company next week:

9 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes til I leave.

:yotj:

You're missing the point of "I'm leaving anyway."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Surprise! It's for yahoo!

His luck has been bad enough that one of their $25/hr graveyard shift contract positions that recruiters were calling me about would have been a step up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Pissed me off: Getting chewed out by a director because our office internet connection stopped working which "must be an IT issue, there's no other reason for it" only for the accounts department to admit they'd forgotten to pay the invoice and our ISP had cut us off.

I'm pretty sure I got my first promotion to management on the basis of some very accomplished lying to users about why the power just went out. Hint: we had been doing some fancy footwork with the bill and got too fancy. That was the second time someplace I worked had the power company send someone out with a No poo poo Final Bill and a set of tools. I technically missed the first one by a couple of months, but a major advertising agency with over a thousand employees just in the US forgetting to pay an electric bill for long enough to get a disconnect order is a story worth repeating. Especially since the shutdown was averted by a project manager, her checkbook, and a written promise to wire her five thousand dollars Right loving Now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

FTFY

I blame the rise of the modern MBA, which emphasized the quarterly bottom line at the expense of everything else. Long term outlook? gently caress that noise! I need my quarterly bonus now Now NOW!!!

I have a feeling that if companies took the long-term view then things would dramatically improve in the short term as well. Of course, that would require executives to not be complete assholes, so it'll probably never happen.

Late fees are also a ready source of credit for cash-strapped companies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Simpleboo posted:

So I had to do some setup for a new workstation at work today. The guy before me labeled all of the wall jacks to (in theory) correspond to a jack on a patch panel. Today I come across a jack labeled "15-6" and until I did some trace work did not realize that it is instead "14". So I checked the rest of the building and nothing is labeled correctly. Also, the patch panel looks something like this http://imgur.com/38ZjVPF

Almost the only thing done right at the place I just took over is that the jack <-> switch port mappings are very well documented.

Not perfect mind you, but good enough to rely on.

Oh. And the phone number spreadsheet. That's very nice, but my boss did that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Airwatch MDM just changed their interface entirely and now I can't find anything :argh:

I'm in the middle of a deployment here!

Why the gently caress did you upgrade in the middle of a deployment ? That literally affected production. YOUR production.

In other news, SAP Business By Design forces me to do double-entry purchasing. This changes my process from minutes at my old job to weeks at the new one. Not counting shipping of course.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

We didn't. Cloud environment.

Oh ouch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Someone really needs to make a really good cross-platform backup solution that will use S3 as its datastore. Glacier tier storage is dirt cheap.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

The best part about S3 is that it has the world's simplest storage API. You should be able to do this in 20 lines of whatever language you want.

I'll Kickstart it. I'm the idea guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Caged posted:

Isn't the charge for deleting it early, not just restoring it?

There's are also a charge for archive and GET requests which may make it an expensive proposition to incrementally write lots of tiny changes. It still looks economical as hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

tomapot posted:

I know this conversation degraded a bit but I'm just going to add that since I YOTJ'd last year I only go into the office once a month to pay the lottery lady and grab lunch with some friends in the old department. After watching Contagion recently, I'm really happy about this arrangement.

I am stunned that returning to the workforce after 2 years didn't cause the current iteration of the common cold to literally kill me.

The HQ email list had a "stay home if you might have viral pneumonia" order on it last week.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

We've been having a seemingly never ending string of issues with Unisys techs at the moment, including one dude showing up for a job and being refused entry to the building because he looked so messed up.

I got a Nortel service tech banned from my site. I was yelling when I made that call. Always a slob, no shower for a week of heavy drinking, smelled exactly as bad as you'd think. And they only agreed to quit sending him out when he put a bad board in our PBX and cost us a bunch of money. Y'know, I usually have those incompetent bastards blocked out of mental roll of incompetent telecom companies. I had almost forgotten Larry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: People who bring in personal routers and give DHCP to 192.168.1.x, and the previous techs who thought making a valid network on 192.168.1.x to manage switches was a GREAT idea, no need for passwords because our network in 10.x.x.x! Thankfully no one seems to have messed with anything but gently caress if I know, now I need to bring up securing this mess.

I inherited a network built around 10.2. That's close enough to home network ranges that it makes me twitchy. Start from the top and work down.

ObBOFH Down, not across.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just had a job interview that sounded awesome for what is basically Senior CurrentJob, and I was all excited until I found out that the position pays substantially less than I currently make, requires more work hours, and increases my commute from 10 minutes to 90 minutes each way.

Glad I figured out what the pay scale was before wasting a day off, I guess.

if you haven't already, tell them you're making that now and that you expect a substantial increase for a senior position. But they probably already balked when you laughed at their first offer. Which you should have done.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

The people here who administrate it... in a company of about 10 people.

You've got 20% or more of the company involved in administering GApps poorly ?

My old Python scripts to manage groups might still work in the current API if you want them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

toe shoes posted:

Dear new c-level guy

You've been here a week and this is going to be iPhone #3 :whoptc:

Are they going mysteriously missing ? How many kids do they have ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Linksys you sons of bitches....

Apparently SG300 switches will just... stop passing traffic. Soft reboots won't fix it but a proper reload will. This is pissing me off because I'm not an iOS CLI guy (yet) and I didn't loving know that.

They just stop. :iiam:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of Java, Java 7 R51 won't run an app that doesn't have it's permissions set right. That's gonna break a whole bunch of infrastructure, including probably our Cisco GUI clients.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It also broke your Cisco ASDM console and most HP switch consoles. Hooray!

R45 is still out there for download. I say roll it back until vendors update their poo poo.

Things pissing me off: Java applications that only run on Windows. gently caress you Cisco.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Still better than Comcast.

Or AT&T, not only would your account rep stop returning your calls but they'd be billing you for the missing lines.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Baby Town Frolics posted:

They can look up Google just as well as myself. Many times it's users asking for configuration settings for their homebrew or in house applications. We in IT don't keep track of that. Their managers and team leads have that information.

Yet we still get tickets all the time for it. We've contacted their managers about it but it falls on deaf ears.

You lot need an internal wiki, get that stuff written down. One of their managers at least has vital configuration settings recorded on the back of an envelope.

Personally I favor "The IT department is involved in actually making that business function work ? Ok, it's an IT function then. We'll need some of your department's headcount to fit it into our workload."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I wish this was satire I had to explain to a dumbass coworker why they can't use a network or broadcast address. Like talking to a wall.

One of my big headaches at my last gig was people configuring gateways wrong. They'd set it to the network address or better yet, leave it out entirely. Ubuntu is far too forgiving if you do that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dear Network Solutions,

How is that I have been removed from an account owned by an old employer, but you still have my loving Amex on file and charged it for that account ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

Lets not add it to the plan then have to report on it when its complete etc - how about I just do it here and now and then it's fixed!

Oh no, document everything you do to every machine. Saves a world of headaches later, plus it gives you handy metrics for calculating how much work you do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I loved working with Shoretel. Here's how to make them love you back, anytime you call support (which you have to do far too often because they broke the portal), say "Hi this is $NAME with $EMPLOYER calling from $AUTHORIZED_PHONE_NUMBER). The techs are empowered enough to go the extra mile to resolve tickets and make you happy, there aren't a lot of them and by making the preceding text part of your "call Shoretel" script, you save them steps on their script and let them relate to you as a human being that they have a chance to make happy. There aren't that many on-call techs, they'll start recognizing you and that goes a long way to getting extra support from a critical vendor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

No way would I fill out paperwork for a firm like RH. They have my resume, they can ask what kinds of jobs I would like, but I will fill out poo poo when it's actually necessary otherwise.

Concur. The one time RH told me I had a job and I should just come in and fill out the paperwork, I ended up having to raise my voice to get the photocopies of my ID back. A call from RH is an opportunity to troll someone who is already planning to gently caress you over and not anything, ever, more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Seriously, you can turn off RD via GP from your desk for everyone, none of that walking bullshit.

The walking comes in later when you have to do desk visits for everything. And never stops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sweevo posted:

Just been on the phone with something trying to talk them through working out whether a Paypal email was genuine or a phishing attempt. It was only 25 minutes into the call that they told me they didn't have a paypal account.

I think someone finally topped the 20 minutes I had to spend with someone explaining what a right-click was over the phone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skooky posted:

This is exactly what we used to do at an accounting firm I used to work at when I was just starting out in IT.

We also had another PC with VLC that would play our companies TV commercials on repeat throughout the day.

It seemed to work well enough - cheap, too. :shrug:

I once worked at an ad agency that just used a DVD player and a splitter to put our reel on display in the lobby. Including the spot where an art director stopped listening whenever I told her "that orange isn't just not NTSC-safe, it's actively dangerous." Hideous. And it aired nationally too. I got a good chuckle every time that spot played.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Man, Bloomberg software is a hideous piece of poo poo.

The keyboards are nice though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

CHS? As in Catholic Health Services?

My mom worked with them for ten years, and it was a clusterfuck of mismanagement from their tech side. Whatever it is, somebody please spill the beans :allears:

My mother was a site manager at a CHS homeless shelter for about 5 years, do tell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Regional VP calls Monday afternoon to report his laptop running extremely slowly. I was having trouble remoting into it and he didn't have time for me to troubleshoot. So I spend the last two days leaving him messages trying to get time to work on it. He ignores my messages.

He sends me an angry email this morning to call his cellphone immediately about his laptop. He doesn't answer. I emailed him to let him know I called and got his voicemail.

I think we all know where this is going.

$1500 bonus time !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

evobatman posted:

The only bribe I ever got was a bluetooth headset :(

CDW flew me to Vegas for a visit to the distribution facility. I only got one night, but got treated to a fantastic dinner at Caesar's. That warehouse is amazing, it's almost totally automated, dead quiet, and empty of people. Half a million square feet of shelves and conveyor belts, but only about 35 people during a busy period. The 25,000 square feet or so of build lab had almost as many people working in it.