Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Chrome Remote Desktop has been a thing for a while, and there's rumors they're making Android and iOS apps for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

What kind of scrub eats Yoplait?

First of all you should be only eating Greek yogurt. And Fage, Chobani, or some small brand. Not Dannon or Yoplait.

Also, it's yoghurt :smug:
Chobani had that mold problem late last year, and other than that I can't think of a difference between them and any other big-name manufacturer.

Also, all of the manufacturers you listed spell it yogurt :smug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dorkanoid posted:

Most R51 issues can be solved by going into the "Configure Java" start menu item (that I didn't even know existed before), and click the entirely new button under Security: "Edit Site List..."

At least even the worst Java application I touch work "OK" if I add all the URLs to that list.
It's in the changelog, but 7u51 blocks unsigned and self-signed applets on the High security setting.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

If anyone out there is still using 4.2.2.x for DNS....Level 3 has been hijacking requests

http://james.bertelson.me/blog/2014/01/level-3-are-now-hijacking-failed-dns-requests-for-ad-revenue-on-4-2-2-x/
One of the comments is, "Did anyone notice the 'disable this service' link in the top right of the screenshot?"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

Who loving programmed this pile of poo poo? WHO?
The lowest bidder, through several layers of sub-contracting.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Galler posted:

I'm having trouble getting games for windows live to work on windows 8.1 which is eventually going to piss me off (whenever I get the urge to play Dark Souls again) but right now I think it's hilarious. I'm just going to assume Microsoft wants to pretend that heap of poo poo never existed and, really, who could blame them. Windows 8.1: Protecting you from the horrors of GFWL.
Isn't GFWL dead?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Alley posted:

It sure does, he said it began with "19". There's a nine right there son.

VAX4LYFE
They were hoping it was the 20th century, not the 2nd.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

totalnewbie posted:

But still, with 200 people in our office, I don't see how we run out of addresses in the DHCP pool. The lease is set for 3 days.
Well, do you have any devices on your network that blatantly ignore lease times?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In my experience in the US your employer is required to pay you your normal rate every day you are required to serve.
pfffffffffhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dpbjinc posted:

Why the gently caress does NTP even have that command? It seems like its only use would be for DDoS attacks like this.
According to ntp's security wiki page, it was resolved in early 2010. But version 4.2.7 is "development" and 4.2.6 is "stable".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

What, are they on dialup with only one phone line? Man, that takes me back. To 1996.
I think it's supposed to mean, "When you call me with a support request, it interrupts the work I'm doing."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Verdugo posted:

I work for the DoD. We are using cutting edge Internet Explorer 8. The office upgraded from Windows XP sometime last year. :cripes:
Wait, so you went from XP to Vista?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sat in a Dell chat queue for like two hours today for some reason just to get a laptop hard drive replaced. Got the dispatch number, thought everything was good, but then the Dell guy e-mailed back and asked if I could confirm the part number on the bottom of the mouse, so he could send the right one. E-mailed him back, but got an after-hours out-of-office message. Tried looking up the dispatch and laptop serial numbers, but couldn't find any tickets. Now I'm back in the queue, but it looks like it's only going to take half an hour to reach someone :toot:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

I did run as admin. Only after launching from a command prompt that had been launched as admin did I get the feedback.
That's how command-line programs work, though?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sir_Substance posted:

Of course, the devils advocate would suggest that that's a lovely dock design. some kind of robust metal connector that cant be forced out without tearing out the underside of the laptop might be a better design. I've also seen designs that are more like a super-complex USB that slots in the side.

Breakable clips on the underside is either lazy or genius engineering, depending on whether you want to sell lots of docking clamp repair services or not.
They're not breakable clips, they're part of the chassis and removable rear cover.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

I really thought my last job was way too proud to actually call me about anything. I would assume that the building would burn to the ground first. However it seems that a construction crew has totally severed fiber for their primary ISP.

Long story short it seems that the consultants they paid to continue my network project may have not been the professionals my old boss believed them to be. It seems the backup ISP line has went from operational to completely hosed.

You really can't fire someone and expect them to help you in an emergency. You REALLY can't expect them to help at a discount because of the relationship you believe you built.

People are really angry at me right now and I don't know how I feel about it yet.
You probably shouldn't burn bridges when you give them your two weeks or in your exit interview or when they shove you out the door, because you need to save it for this moment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Helushune posted:

I think it was earlier in this thread, someone had mentioned that Dell doesn't update any of the drivers on their FTP site anymore or something like that. I still use it because it's still heaps better than trying to use Dell's support site when I need a driver to inject in some WDS images.
There's a BIOS update for E6420s from a little under two weeks ago right there, but most of the device drivers on their site are going to have newer versions in Windows Update regardless of whether they're on the FTP site or not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

Everything I do I pipe through cat or dmesg |grep "SOME ERROR I AM LOOKING FOR" :smug:
grep -C is especially nice.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off:

:v: This Citrix box can easily support 20+ people at once.
:downs: Are you sure about that? It only has 8GB RAM.
:v: Sure, that's not a problem at all.

Some time later

:downs: Everyone is getting "out of memory" errors, and all other kinds of strange errors from the ALM client
:v: Oh, it seems like that Citrix server is making GBS threads the bed. I'll just reboot it.

Now, I realize that the three-finger salute does, in fact, solve a massive number of issues rapidly and with no troubleshooting, and this particular Citrix server can in fact be rebooted without a lot of drama. I just don't understand why so many sysadmins use it as the first troubleshooting step.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it broke, reboot it.

If all else fails, call the vendor.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Resource" is the one that really bugs me lately.
You found out what HR stands for?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there an actual purpose for snapshots beyond "thing that someone else used two months ago but forgot they were working on a snapshot so now there's like a 100gb delta file"?
Yes?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Urzza posted:

I know this is a super late, but I just found out if I drag-and-drop this QR code into the address bar of chrome, it opens the page it goes to.
That's because the image is a link. You're dragging and dropping that link, just like if you were dragging and dropping words that were a link.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

If only I could have logged back into the device to do that, but it refused all incoming connections after I executed the command, which is (I'm guessing) a design oversight/flaw.
As mentioned above, the "/m" switch lets you send the command to a remote machine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

GPUpdate.net ‏@GPUpdate 40m
Williams: Race win would be magic #F1

Without twitter, would I have known that a racing team wants to win a race? I doubt it.

But yeah no, Twitter is horrible. I don't see it as being important in any way, someone correct me, by all means.

That said it did just inform me that the Ultimate Warrior just died, oh my god.
Maybe next time you'll think twice before mocking twitter.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

47MB Excel document. 10k columns x 300 rows, 99.9% blank.
Usually that's because they've done an explicit select all and applied formatting. Not that it's your job, but it should be easy to fix.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jim truds posted:

I an kind of baffled why my coworker needs the formating for how or tickets print out to be perfect. I really can't think of a good reason as to why he would need to print tickets and he can't give me one.
Printing out tickets can be helpful if you don't have access to the ticketing system/work e-mail if you're going out to another location to work on something. Some places even have users sign work orders to confirm that work was completed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

At a branch office with a T1.
I did this yesterday morning, and got a call that there must have been a power outage at that location :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Rule 3: Make a copy of everything, especially anything regarding Rule 2
A paper copy?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lareous posted:

We have an industry specific browser based program that just poo poo the bed.

Come to find out after I called their support line that "Oh it doesn't work in Java 7 yet roll back to Java 6".

It...was working fine in Java 7 until the most recent update. So I'm just supposed to waltz around with a gaping security risk until it's patched I guess.

EDIT: Oh and of COURSE it only works in IE.
Have you added the domain to Java's security exclusion list?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
loving bureaucracy

Last night, while getting ready to upgrade one of our locations to Windows 7, I noticed some issues with that location's server. I asked if I could reboot it before the desktops started pulling SCCM packages from it, and was told I needed to coordinate that with system engineering. I sent them an e-mail, and they didn't reply until this morning. One guy agrees that it should be rebooted, but another guy says it needs to be done after hours.

Also, since there's employees at that location now, and they need that server on to work. But that server is also the print server, and they can't print right now. Not printing is actually a big deal. I want to remote into their machines and install the printers locally, but can't remote in. So, what I want to do is go to that location as soon as possible to see what I can do.

But I can't do that, because this rear end in a top hat coworker wanted me to help him out with his ~40 work orders~ and if I leave before completing his work orders he's going break down in tears. There's another tech near this location who's fumbling his way through powercycling a managed switch at a separate location, and rear end in a top hat wants to see if that guy can help out at my branch when he's done.

I've been ready to leave for over half an hour, but we're still waiting on who loving knows. I'm not even doing a goddamn thing right now, because rear end in a top hat isn't at his desk. This poo poo pisses me off.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

This is one of those rare instances where managers are actually useful, assuming you've got one that knows rear end from elbows. I would ask how these should be prioritized since it sure sounds like the server issue is a bigger deal than whatever you feel compelled to help this other putz with.
If I ever find that person, I'll let them know.

Right now, seven of crybaby's work orders are completed. Four of them are headsets, two are trivial installs (one e-mail archive product, one Chrome), and the seventh is a javascript issue that is most likely caused by IE8. This is poo poo he could be doing when he's stuck here after hours waiting for laptops to image or encrypt, instead of playing Diablo 3.

Bonus: He's also closing these requests himself instead of assigning them to me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tango alpha delta posted:

Yeah, I know. The client often gets the monitor and the desktop confused. But it was kind of fun to vent a little.
Or it could be they tried to call the user while remoting in, but since the computer at the user's desk doesn't work they're at someone else's desk and calling from another phone. But even then, you shouldn't resolve a ticket when you can't get confirmation from the user that the issue's really been resolved.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

Maybe one of their ops used to own a titan.
I'm pretty sure it was from way before titans in eve online were a thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

Also very curious on this. Would love some more details.
There aren't any, just a whole lot of speculation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

Margins, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Not to mention battery life.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Irrationally, it irritates me when I get an e-mail like this:

To: All Users
Cc: Some other distro group
You don't have a rule to delete mail that was sent to All Users?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Simpsons is doing live-action remakes of their old episodes now? That's actually kind of impressive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

We're still going to use Paychex, just not the timeclock portion. :psyduck:

Here's what the new program looks like

The instruction book has screenshots from Windows 98
That looks Windows 98 as gently caress, it's incredible that they're charging $11k.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7IsqW3e_v4

If they put that much effort into producing anime, they're sure to be a great company to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

It's someone that idles in #oregoons sometimes, I don't know him so I have no stories.
So you've narrowed it down to about two dozen people.