Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

sixth and maimed posted:

ITT I learned there's a New Belgium brewery, started by a couple of guys that went on a binge here ... I live in Belgium and the whole Beer Hipster/IPA nerd is kinda funny to me. :)

There's brewery or beer called Ommeganck which is actually brewed in I think upstate New York.
I live in Belgium too and I find it all absurdly funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Thanatosian posted:

The Benedictines (and other monastic orders) are absolutely foundational to the modern practice of IT. Without them, we likely would not have preserved much of the knowledge that computers cannot function without, specifically brewing, viticulture, and (most importantly) distillation.

Those are the orders in the old world. Chill as gently caress, secluded and make really good beer. Also I can’t imagine anyone here refer to themselves as a Benedictine or a Jesuit unless they were a bonafide monk.

I have no idea how it is in the US. A fair bit more zealous it seems like. Do they also like to brew beers?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

taqueso posted:

Hah. Sounds like a fun place to work if you are into metalworking :shobon: The company by machinists, for machinists.

Sounds like my current job. We’re a bunch of artists with a bit of computer knowledge. So every system is bodged in and have a decent amount of technical debt. With about 10 employees in our case, we can just about manage to transfer knowledge and not break anything.

I can’t imagine how it is for a large company such as Bob’s. Not to mention that an office move should be the moment to do away with all of the bodged system and break bad habits, not build upon it.

Edit:

Then you have to factor in whether the money saved was worth removing a machine from the production line and spending manhours on it.

I know that the time we spent on working around our systems and waiting on inefficiencies has long offset the amount we would have spent on hiring an expert to install everything properly.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 10, 2019

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
My mother-in-law is head of HR at a small company and she's been going through some poo poo the past week. A colleague suffered a cardiac arrest in the office and she had to perform CPR while the paramedics were en route. Unfortunately he still passed away a day later. :( And this after she requested workplace AEDs but not getting approved.

I'll give credit to her, she raised hell when her bosses pulled her in for a meeting the next workday about replacing the deceased, and they refused to arrange a small moment for all employees to come together to grieve and process the events.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Is your desk blocking some emergency fire equipment there?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I work for a performance company that uses a lot of VR technology. One key piece of hardware we use are VR backpacks from HP and they've been nothing but unreliable.

Today a backpack's GPU decided to intermittently display artifacts and crash when running our VR application. I am able to reliably crash it so I call HP support. After an hour of looking for their phone number online I managed to find it in some previous correspondence and I actually managed to get an agent who was actually helpful despite not knowing anything about VR Backpacks. We did a power cycle together and that alleviated the issue to my surprise.

So I run an hours worth of stress tests with FurMark, GPUMemTest, video streaming and our VR app simultaneously and it seems stable so I close everything off and restart the system and let it idle while I focus on my other tasks.

Half an hour later I look at the monitor to see a basic BIOS Diagnostics Tool and that the (NVME) boot drive has disappeared. I reset and restart the system, no results. I power cycle it again and Windows 10 boots up in recovery mode. Welp that shouldn't be happening.

I call HP Support again and report this new issue as I think it's related but they're unwilling to send out a technician unless I'm able to reliably recreate the issue which despite my best efforts I can't. Which I get but it doesn't really help me.

Meanwhile I'm left with this unreliable piece of hardware that we need to use for a performance next week. I still don't know the root cause of the issues and I'm afraid it'll pop up its head at the most inopportune time.

My hunch, the VR Backpack is so tightly engineered and packaged that when running a GPU load, heat causes components to expand ever so slightly and disrupt some internal connections.

Also why is it so hard to establish a line of communication with HP Support. Their website sends me in circles and their ticket creation page loads endlessly on different computers. At least when I got hold of the number from looking in old emails, I didn't have to wait.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Body: See subject title

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Rick posted:

In a zoom meeting where they had the idea of putting a condenser mic in the middle of the room so the whole room could be heard but the mic is so sensitive that it spikes everytime anyone in the room talks lol. This is terrible.

How did that not end up in horrible feedback? Or did they have some poor sap muting and unmuting the microphone

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I'm a Virtual Reality developer and there's a VR headset that my company is very interested in using because of its unique features. We bought one and I've been tasked to test it and figure out its limits.

The unique features are locked behind a license as its aimed towards professional users. No problem, I contact our vendor to purchase one. They tell me that due to popular demand, the manufacturer are only accomodating companies with 50+ headsets. I said (kindly) that that's bullshit and who the hell would spend 50K on headsets without testing it out on a much smaller scale. We ask if they can push our case with the manufacturer, while mentioning that we do have some industry leading partners who we're working with, just to kinda get the ball rolling.

So they introduce us by e-mail to the manufacturer's regional sales and we explained our situation. A week later we still haven't heard back from them so I sent a quick follow-up to our vendor. They tell us the manufacturer only has ONE employee world-wide taskes with handling the licenses and supporting clients. :psyboom:

Keep in mind these paywalled features are practically the cornerstone of their B2B marketing for these headsets, and they are actively still adding new features and updates to it. And they are one of the top 3 players for VR headsets, not some random start-up.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, that'll hopefully be our conclusion at the end of our trial period.

Only if the competitors could get off their rear end and actually implement device fleet management and shared headset tracking features.

Honestly don't ever work with VR headsets.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Weedle posted:

does this company's name rhyme with tragic beep

No, it's HTC. I don't even know why I was being so coy with the name, the XR/VR world is small sure but sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade.

SlowBloke posted:

It's a different type/class of device but you can do most of these requirements with hololens 2, managed over intune so quite easy even for small deployments.

Sounds interesting, unfortunately we develop full immersion experiences, so no focus on Augmented Reality. A friend of mine started using ArborXR recently and that's apparently a pretty good platform-agnostic fleet management system for XR devices

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Does Excel have the ability to display sheets side by side? I know Libreoffice doesn't have that feature afaik and it's a pain in the rear end the four times I use it in a year

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I'm working with a VR headset and I'm checking out a feature that allows the headset to quickly establish tracking and position in a space with the assistance of an ArUco marker.

I think it's working? It seems to do what I want it to do, but the system gives absolutely no feedback. No feedback when setting it up whether it's been done correctly. No feedback on whether it is scanning for it. No feedback whether it has succeeded or failed.

It works consistently and I'm seeing the expected behaviour when for example the ArUco marker isn't visible but when it comes into view, then the tracking is established. But there's nothing on the UI, nothing in the logs that confirms that the system is doing what I think it's doing.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 23, 2023

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Well I confirmed it was working by looking at an identical marker in a different location and it launched me into space. Real fun

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

frogbs posted:

It’s the latter, PDFs built in a program called Livecycle can contain executable JavaScript. This one happens to have an insane amount of it!

For once the world had finally settled on a filetype to share static documents while keeping its formatting across multiple platforms and of course we screw it up.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Is there an equivalent of "Don't roll your own crypto" but for security cameras?

So my company moved and we're now sharing a location with another organisation. To get to our own premises we have to pass through them first. This week I came back from my holiday and I set up a small Ubiquiti camera system that covers our premises. Yesterday before I left for the weekend I activated the notifications on the system so it would send mails and push notifications if it detects movements at night. I also sent documentation to my colleagues on how to view the cameras and to set up the mobile app so they can get those notifications.

This morning I woke up to a poo poo ton of notifications detecting movement at 1:30 in the morning. :dogstare: Three guys had broken in and started to burgle the place. gently caress. Time to call everyone, download the footage and head to the office. We spent the whole day cataloguing losses, speaking with the police, and dealing with the fallout. While they did steal a considerable amount (a high-end gaming PC, an old iMac, my toolkit and drill that I brought in for the move and some other stuff), it could have been way way way worse.

Now our neighbor organisation is asking us if I could roll out some more cameras that will cover their premises and the general entries as well. I'm ok with running cables and hanging cameras, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll be too much for me to manage. I'm just a small-time developer/3D artist after all

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't go near it, let them know what system you have if they want the same sort of thing and have them find a local installer who will do the bits for them.

Well we're a small company of four people and our neighbor is also only a team of three people, with the corresponding budgets of course. But fair enough, there was a lot said today in the heat of emotions, we'll look at it again on Monday when we've had a couple of (restless) nights.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I come back to work and my direct superior tells me to go ahead and send information on the security camera system, but they'll have to figure out their own poo poo and like hell will we manage that for them. Nice

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Wow a good manager :monocle:

I know right. He ain't perfect but he doesn't take poo poo from other people and knows when to set boundaries.

Silly Newbie posted:

Whatever company does your fire/burg proximity alarms will be more than happy to run your security cams and probably throw in a package deal. If you're a super small shop renting a very small office then building management probably runs the fire and burglar alarm contracts, so talk to them.
It's really hard to beat central station monitoring for anything.

In our previous location we did handle our own alarm contracts with central station monitoring. But we're a super small shop renting from another super small shop and now we're pushing them to get their poo poo together. Unfortunately this happened in the middle of our move so there's a lot a grey area with regards to insurance.

Our own camera system was purely because we were deploying a Ubiquiti system and we thought it was worth adding a couple of cameras to it since we could.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
After all these years, I feel like my colleague still refuses to apply principles to develop collaboratively in Unreal Engine. I create a base level with lighting and mesh assets, and he wants to try stuff out in it. Rather than making a new level with the base level as a sub-level (good) or editing the base level (not good but not bad either as I've handed it off to him), he duplicates the level and starts editing in that. So now we got the same level twice, just one slightly altered and with an extra asset added. It's the equivalent of duplicating a Google Document and editing that. For gently caress's sake we have version control for a reason.

On top of that he's left for the day and he didn't check in his work.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I work for a small company of four employees and one financial consultant. We had a funded project several years ago and somewhere a Mistake was made and we had to return a considerable amount of money. Nobody in the leadership could adequately explain to me what the Mistake exactly was. Only that It was made. I was sidelined from any meetings on it because I'm just a lowly developer, but our General Co-ordinator was also sidelined. The one person who should follow this up and keep an eye out in the future to make sure we don't make the same Mistake again.

Now we're in another funded project and we had to deliver an interim financial report. Our General Co-ordinator is out with a burn-out, which is another story in itself, so I volunteered to pore over the numbers. I figure out that a part of the received budget is overinflated with a surplus that will have to be returned when the project is finished. I report this to my colleagues and they go "Oh, that must have been what the Mistake was last time" and now they're panicking over it. And I'm just flabbergasted. How the gently caress did they make the same Mistake again? How the gently caress did none of the leadership know what It was? Why are we only figuring this out a year into the project, just because I pored over the numbers on the side?

Maybe if they had involved our General Co-ordinator we might have averted it? Maybe if they involved her a lot more she wouldn't be out with a burnout, rather than just burdening her with the stress and mental load for issues like this that we had flagged a long time ago. Heck, I'm not even trained in this. I just know how to work with a spreadsheet. I suggested them to consult an accountant or financial planner to double check my numbers but that got ignored. Whatever, I don't loving know and I don't care anymore. I've already decreased my hours and now I'm working on the side on my own projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Grant/non-profit accounting is a tremendous pain in the dick. Especially when there are 14 pages of clauses and procedures you must follow to spend the money. Going 'oh, whoospie' when there is a 6 figure clawback because you never should have spent that money in the first place despite it sitting in project's account is just how your company seems to roll. Because there's just know way to know how to budget things, best to just guess and see where things end up.

That's fair enough. The manual for the report was well over 300 pages. I guess it might have been a bit too much to ask for some due diligence from my company to prevent this boondoggle from happening again, but that's non-profit life for you.