Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
That i today, after fiddeling with it since thursday morning, learned that the reason i can't do windows update on a freshly installed XP is because IE8 and KB2870699 wasn't installed. (Just 100% cpu for 24+ hours for the windows update service). (And that microsoft.com makes IE6 lock up for 30+ seconds)

That i had to learn how to get windows update to run on a freshly installed XP (EOL:ed software that only works there with printers and everything).

That i felt like i couldn't ask here if anyone's had problems with XP and windows update lately because i figured i would get told to do what the frog says..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Got that XP patched up fully, the program still refused to run (kernel32.dll error which is really generic). I don't know, i'd just hoped that it was something that would be fixed by installing that special version of .net that it wanted.

Got it running in w7. There was a special order everything needed to be installed and started up but printers and everything worked.
User called me up and said that they didn't need the computer/software anymore.
:suicide:

At least i got to come home to a broken internet with a "maybe fixed by 21:00" timeline. It's ok, i didn't really want to watch that finale anyway...

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

To add actual IT content, erm..
unpredictable backups-to-tape running on an ancient version of Backup Exec on ancient unpredictable hardware. Will it take 4 hours today or 8? Only way to find out is wait for the results!

Same but running an ancient Microsoft DPM version, will it fit all on one tape or will it decide it needs the last 18mb on another tape before making GBS threads itself?
Also, once you start doing something daily everyone else will just loving ignore it when you're at home.
Thursdays backup stopped at 0700, no-one restarted it. Fridays shat itself, as did saturdays and sundays quit because there was no free tapes.
Fridays manual tape-removal never happened, despite this beeing a daily routine for the last four years.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
The assholes who worked here before apparently thought "everything must be saved/stored".
This is why i have a box of really oily/lovely Danish ps/2 keyboards that will _NEVER_ be used before, Celeron desktops, fiber to tp converters (100mbit at most) and a few 48 port 100mbit switches.

Also people find that just handing out poo poo without buying new is the perfect solution, then they quit and i find myself alone with 0 loving usb mice or keyboards.

Oh the powersupply of your ancient thinclient is broken? Let's just get you a new one from stock and not loving order a new while theyre still beeing sold.

I seriously have to FIGHT to get to order new poo poo like mice, not having 5-10 on stock is just retarded.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Iphone 4s with broken wifi-chip (won't turn on / find networks) (known problem on 4s)

User reported it, i told him to bring it to me and he'd get to borrow an older android phone.

User brings it to me 30 days after he first told me about it, i reset it, update it, call Apple who wants me to give them a cc number before they'll fix it, then they tell me it went out of warranty 8 days earlier.

Send it to the people we bought it from, they first quoted me €150 to fix it, turns out it's actually €380 (wtf), i tell them no and to return it, get to pay €80 just for freight.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Holy poo poo I just dealt with the new Linksys config interface and gently caress. that. Everything takes three times as long as it should, and it doesn't show you all sorts of handy info like the loving WAN IP.
There isn't a moanmyip tab?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

dennyk posted:

Yellow Fixedsys is where it's at. (Also, displaying a screenful of yellow text on black makes my Dell LCD monitor emit a high-pitched whine. :v: )

Igvita-desert.reg, done.

Today a couple of our client computers started lagging _bad_. One guy came back to his computer only to find a completely black screen with just the mousecursor on it, it was running some Symantec Endpoitn Protection -process at 100% cpu and using >1gb ram.
Took 10 minutes to logon after the first forced reboot.
15 the second time.
10 minutes to do smc -stop after waiting for first win+r to appear and then "cmd".

Global IT apparently made changes with no warning during the day, to fix the problem where none of our computers has been getting updates from the sep-server for weeks.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

guppy posted:

Edit: oh hey, new posts. This was about the LJ 1022.

That specific model's also likes to break the local print spooler, preventing printing even to other printers, so badly that the only way I've ever found to get it working again is to manually delete the files that represent the print queue. It isn't a consistent behavior, some jobs just make it poo poo itself, and if you just try to restart the print spooler service without doing that it will just break the service again.
Pdf-poo poo breaks them, print them as "image" (option somewhere in adobe reader) and they'll work fine.

I might aswell add my own printer hell today.
Recommended users to buy a M1217nfw (i think)-something, just by looking at specs.
Does not print to pdf without running software (we're using Citrix so no go there)
Does not print from our 2008r2 printserver, nor from win7x86 using standard hp universal pcl5 v5.5.0 or any other i could find on the network. The job will spool, get into the print queue and then disappear.
Does not install supplied drivers without using usb connection.
Is 5½ hours away.

**edit i dont know why i recommended it, i do know that i hate looking at stuff for other people so i might have missed to check the citrix-compability for it. Oh well...

underlig fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2013

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Lum posted:

Most folk understand this, but one person does not understand the difference. He's also the office do-gooder, self-appointed parking attendant and self-appointed enforcer of a few other things.
I like how the masking is actually in the shape of. ..

At oldjob i put a filter like that in the exchange-server, for emails from our ticket database that started with "boss has", as i would get tons of emails telling me that boss either assigned a new ticket to me or updated an existing. While he sat three meters away, completely silent.

** edit
Might aswell add this, i'm getting more and more frustrated about people calling my boss, talking to him about an issue / something that needs to be done, and then he creates a ticket with either just barely enough information for me to know what needs to be done, or just not enough information at all.
Boss / slave yes, but there are tickets you can actually do yourself, right away, instead of forcing me to come ask you what you mean by it and then try to do it.

"X Y and Z in (shortened / misspelled / term i've never heard before) needs to be xx yy zz:ed"
It's like every second ticket is a loving mystery i have to solve before i can even start actually do what needs to be done.

The ticket database we have is also _filled_ with spelling errors or tickets where the resolution is just "did it", which means i can't search the database for previous jobs nor can i find what "it" actually is.

underlig fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 29, 2013

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Trastion posted:

Going to swap it back in after lunch because the boss wants to do it during production just before the weekend instead of waiting.
Seems like the most logical time to do it, because it needs to be done before the weekend because of .. .well.. reasons

???

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

dogstile posted:

Maybe i'm being dumb, but what does YOTJ mean?
Year of the Job, decreasing alcohol abuse, staying sane by moving from "soulsucking, slow death"-job to something new and better.

Sometimes it's a miss but most often it's just what the goon ordered.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Keyboards with function keys hidden behind feature keys.

User emails us, working from home. The keyboard on her private laptop doesn't work the same way as the keyboard at work.
"It's a Packard Bell".
That narrows it down...

To make matters worse the fucktards at PB set the feature for "F5" (a key you must admit is used pretty often to refresh poo poo), to "sleep", making testing a bit hard since she says "oh the screen went black" whenever she hits it.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Having to clean up after adults.

If someone's had a meeting in the conference room they never push the chairs back in, remove the powerstrip they've used and most of the time they won't even remove coffee cups etc.

We've got a rotating kitchen schedule, whenever it's not someone's week they just put their poo poo on the bench and walk away. A loving teenager can be trained to put their poo poo in the dishwasher, why can't you?

Today i was told to set up four clients in the conference room for a training session that was supposed to start an hour later. Four clients, we don't have four clients. There's one thin client there and we have two "spare" up here but my boss gave away the only powerbrick and told me that it was no rush to order a new one. We have my old coworkers laptop and another laptop with a cracked display. ???? If he'd said anything about it yesterday i could have told him that it's near impossible to find four complete clients ..

There's one usb mouse but 20-30 ps/2 mice with balls.
There's maybe three usb keyboards, all of them have at some point been down in production so they're covered with metaldust / grime. There's also 10 ps/2 keyboards.

I've complained before that it's near impossible to not have any spare things here but nothing happens, i can't buy any because IT's not supposed to buy everything for every department. But when an idiot breaks his mouse and NEEDS A NEW ONE RIGHT NOWWWW he'll get it from the spares and nobody buys any new because we can't pay $15 in shipping for a $12 mouse.

We have tons of really useless poo poo laying around but the things you really would need is gone.

And the loving keyboards, god damnit, this summer i organized them in a big box. USB keyboards were in one part of the box and ps/2 in the other, they were also organized in Swedish/Danish/Norweigan (small differences but still), when i checked the box this morning it was just a big loving mess again. And where did all the wireless keyboards come from? (I could have used them except we don't have batteries and we won't buy any because "it shouldn't have to purchase batteries for every department"..

And guess who has to clean the conferenceroom when they're done in a few hours, yes me. If i'm lucky he will bring one of the 22" monitors with him but i'm not counting on it.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I'm "encouraged" but not "forced" to check my emails during the holidays, so i do in case there´s a problem with the backups or power or cooling and stuff. poo poo here does not run unless you look at it atleast every two-three days.

Of course there's one idiot user (i refuse to call them "customers") that's working on december 30th at 10:30 and he notices that the crm-tab in Outlook isn't working. And since he refuses to have a holiday i am not allowed to either.
This guy knows, KNOWS, that we can't touch his loving computer/citrix-account unless he first starts a teamviewer session and tells us his id/pin, still he usually calls me up and then i have to talk him through how to go to the same loving address he has as a favourite, and hit "run" on the teamview.exe.

I emailed him back and told him to start teamveiwer from the same address, he just now replied "the id is ..... and the code is just four stars so you already know it" (No i don't.).

We're running teamiveiwer in the "free for five minutes" -mode because $reasons$. There is one single user we need to use tv to run, noone else runs dualscreen so citrix loving shadowing won't work.

*** edit

I can also add i hate our Outlook /global AD -password policy that forces us to change password every two months. The instructions we get emailed every 45 days say "press ctrl-alt-del to change pass, unless yuour not on our network then just go to the owa-site".
I've been at _every_ single user and told them "no the first part of the instructions does not apply to us, go to the owa" but still every two months i have to go back to tell them "no you didn't change your outlook password because you didn't do what we did 45 days ago"
Getting this fixed requires me to create a ticket in global it's Footprints, which takes about two minutes per account since it's a really bad implementation of footprints.

Now during this holiday comes another wave of "you need to change your password within 14 days", guess i know what i have to do all day thursday&friday when i start work again.

underlig fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 30, 2013

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
The old versions of Navision (i guess that's what you mean) were pretty ok, i wasn't a "user" but from my point it hardly ever crashed/caused problems. Not even with large databases (.fdb or something? non-sql anyway).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That said something else is pissing me off: supporting this ancient legacy system piece of poo poo:
Is that an Alf wallpaper?

I'm still trying to get our POS websites working in Joomla and it's just a loving disaster from start to finish.
It needs to be "dynamic" (flash animated image rotation)
It will be for "mobile devices" (i can bet we have less than ten mobile visitors per year)
It has to look just like the old site (and this is where it gets funny, boss changes his mind from time to time so now it doesn't have to look 100% like the old one, and i've already spent hours fighting our old layout and Joomlas hosed up quirks).

The main horizontal menu never worked so boss made a custom php page for it, therefore it has hardcoded values for each article and because of that there's no loving way it will be able to support different languages (each article has id and each language is a new article).

That didn't stop him from asking me if i had finished installing all our four languages and made them work, i mean if i say "No there's only one language for all articles right now" it should NOT be followed by the question "so if i click here will it turn into danish?" because i just loving told you that there is no loving content for other languages.

It also will not matter how many articles i put up, the menus all point to the same article with the same language.

This whole ask me something and ignoring / not understand my reply is something that comes up pretty often lately, making me go loving nuts and i'm afraid i soon will reply with "motherfucker i just told you"..

There was an incident last year where they needed to grab old financial data from the as/400 system, i suggested looking through our ticket system because surely we had done this before and atleast written something useful in the comments.
They both ignored my suggestion and spent three hours getting it to run.
(I searched the ticket system for "financial data" and got _one_ hit, the comments for it (unusual for old tickets), said exactly how to run the export they were looking for.).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

How the gently caress do you even get the idea to schedule a meeting in someone elses room, i'm not a part of it, without telling them?

As a second gently caress-you i just checked and the big meetingroom in the office is empty, nobodys using it. There is also a smaller one with a big whiteboard in another end of the office that hasn't been used for months, with a loving door you can close.

I can't concentrate at all on all the idiotic poo poo i have to get done today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I really can't believe a grown adult would write this. Did you really not say a word even though it was bothering you this much? The diagram is just the icing!
I never tell people when they do stuff that for me clearly shows that they don't give a gently caress about me. I never have and i really have no idea how to, the few time i've had to comment on something like this i've been so worked up that i start to stutter and sweat.

I had a few "are you seriously going to have a meeting right here?"-ish sentences worked up but i just couldn't get them out.