Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Why do PDF files allow the document creator to override the user's choice of page display and zoom setting?

I'm not using a 14" 640x480 monitor. I want documents zoomed to fit the whole page on the screen, and I like single page display rather than continuous scrolling because that way I can skip whole pages with a single flick of the scroll wheel. But no, apparently I can't appreciate the author's masterwork unless it's force-zoomed to 200% and set to scroll continuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Collateral Damage posted:

Pet peeve here: Users at my work put paper in the printers themselves.. But they never put in more than half of the ream, then leave the other half laying around. I've tried telling them that the magazine is designed to take exactly one full ream, but they just go :downs: durr, but it looks like it won't fit.

The real reason is that they don't want to have to throw the empty packet away, so they leave it half full and just dump it near the printer rather than walk 2 feet to a bin.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

skooma512 posted:

People using habitually ellipsis to end sentences...

Don't they know that this is usually used to convey confusion or annoyance (among other things)?

My lead and several network analysts on this account do this and it drives me up the wall because I think they're cross with me.

And then there's the double period..

There used to be a guy here......who typed.........like this......every comma.......full stop......sentence break.......or pause for thought.........he'd just press the key a bunch of times........He was also a real waffler.......so he'd send an email.........and it would be........three pages........of this poo poo.........

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Reminds me of the post from the old thread about the mainframe software that downloaded gigabytes of Windows .exe files and multilingual java updates.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Collateral Damage posted:

If you want job security, learn Cobol, OS/400 and/or a mainframe system. Those systems will be around until the heat death of the universe because of how risk averse businesses that use them are and will rather pump millions into keeping the old, tried and tested systems running than chance replacing them.

Sometimes I think mainframes might be interesting to work with, but then I try to read about them and it's all three-letter abbreviations. "To create a DCD set up a new KLS and import the CDB from the SMC...". And trying to figure out what any of that means is like gazing into mirrors reflecting in mirrors, not helped by the fact that mainframe architectures are weird as hell and completely alien to someone who grew up with normal computers - even the idea of a "file" doesn't exist on many mainframes.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Gwaihir posted:

With printers and faxes.

Speaking of printers, today I found out that in the year 2015 it's possible to buy a label printer that doesn't have ZPL emulation. And we just bought 12 of them.

(For those not in the know that's basically like a paint program not being able to load jpegs, or a text editor not supporting ASCII)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Crowley posted:

Well, Are you going to tell it or what?

He could tell you a UDP joke instead, but you might not get it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

And that existing installations of XP don't just stop working, or magically fill themselves with viruses just because mainstream support ended.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

wolrah posted:

The XP box a machine shop might have hosting a DOS app that runs something old and expensive is probably fine as long as no one's trying to browse the web on it.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. People need to stop freaking out just because OMG the self-service checkout at the supermarket was running XP.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When they'd hire a new guy I'd always end up in a meeting with him and the fund partners, where the new guy would ask for something ridiculous like a full rack blade server. One guy asked for just, and got it. A 16 bay top of the line HP blade server with just tricked out hardware and blades, I installed it and set it up for him, but since it was sort of "his" he changed all the administrator passwords and locked me out of it. About a year later they fired him since he was just a real prick. The managers had no idea what he was doing with the blade, and I just unplugged it and it sat dormant for a couple years. Eventually I pulled it out of the rack and they dumped it on eBay.

He probably just wanted a faster computer than everyone else. Someone told him that servers are fast, so he spec'ed an expensive server and then asked for that. Salesmen at my last job used to ask for Xeon servers to use for word processing for the same reasons.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"I don't have time to learn computers"

- A grown adult, whose job for the last 15 years has involved using a computer for eight hours a day.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

If the 'unsubscribe' link in your stupid email "newsletter" :jerkbag: brings up a login page then I am going to mark all your emails as spam and never visit your site again.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Bob Morales posted:

People who don't email back are cocksuckers.

Is this better or worse than people who do email back, but only check their email once a day, so a three line conversation takes an entire week?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Bob Morales posted:

The 688 Attack Sub box stated that the game was NOT copy protected. However, in order to start a mission you had to transmit a code to fleet command which consisted of looking up a sub name in the manual and finding the corresponding code. The codes were scattered all through the manual making pirating difficult.

Sometimes when my step-dad would bring a copied game home from work, it'd come with a bunch of Xeroxed pages of the manual. :filez:

I had a couple of Amiga games where the codebook was printed in weird (barely readable) colours like black on dark red, or gloss black on matte black to prevent them from being photocopied.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

TyrsHTML posted:

I called the temp agency at the end of the day because this was listed as a "website support tech position, with some phone use."

I used to get this poo poo when I was temping in the early 2000s. The worst one was a variation of that "Hello this is Microsoft, your computer appears to have a virus" scam. I lasted about 90 minutes before telling the owner to go gently caress himself and walking out. He didn't seem surprised. That same agency also sent me for a job which was "IT work, some light lifting involved", which turned out to be working in a UPS loading bay (the "IT work" was scanning the barcodes on the shipping labels).

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sheep posted:

I'd care less about model number confusion if the Cisco website wasn't such a massive pain to navigate. It's like they let their ASIC developers also do their web design.

The Cisco site is one of the worst websites I've ever used. If you search for anything related to a 10+ year old product then 50% of the links will either just be totally broken, or replaced with an EOL declaration with no way to access the original page.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Apparently tons of people who don't know what they're talking about think "serial" means "everything that's not usb".

Serial (i.e RS232) keyboards do exist. They were never used on PCs, but older Sun keyboards are serial, and you can buy serial keyboards for industrial uses.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Coredump posted:

Tons of people? Really? Its maybe two people who are confused. You callin them fat? :hampants:

Bob Morales posted:

They're still devices that use a serial communication protocol. Just because they aren't RS-232 doesn't make them not serial.

http://www.jkmicro.com/ps2keyboard_en.pdf

Nobody would ever normally refer to a keyboard as a 'serial' device. But they aren't parallel :haw:

I don't mean in this thread, i mean generally. I know certain things are technically serial, but nobody calls them that. A keyboard isn't the best example, but as someone who has to support weird industrial equipment I need to know if someone asking for a serial printer cable means a serial printer cable or if they're just using serial to mean "not usb" and what they actually want is a parallel cable. Same goes for a serial mouse.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

FFS. You're bad with computers. It takes you 20 minutes to register an account on a website because you can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that there might be more of the page below the bottom of the screen. If you have a text box to fill in and a giant button saying "click to continue" then try filling in the text box and then clicking the button. Don't stare at the screen for five minutes before calling me over to tell you exactly where you have to click. No it's not too complicated! No your gmail password does not magically let you log in to every other site so don't lie to me and say it does!

This is going to be a long day

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Are retards obsessing over the warm hiss of cassettes yet?

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sheep posted:

It always baffles me how HR people who have been in the workforce three times as long as me still require quarterly lectures about basic things like "verifying and entering the correct personal information when performing employment verification or hiring".

HR is where you put the people too incompetent to do literally anything else. It's a place for the cat ladies and middle-aged people who hate change to sit it out and wait for retirement.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Thanatosian posted:

This just makes me remember when I was having computer issues that after probably eight hours of troubleshooting had me convinced I had a failing mobo, until someone on these forums was like "hey, is that unmatched RAM you're using? You should pull that, that breaks things." And I replied "it's been like that for two years without a problem, that's just an old wives' tale, might have been true back in the day but not now old man," etc., but gave it a shot anyhow, because it was an easy test and better than buying a new mobo... and everything magically started working.

I'll be swinging my walker at "kids these days trying to use unmatched RAM" well into my 80s, I'm sure.

It wasn't even true back in the day. Yet greybeards still believe all kinds of crap like "386s need all RAM sticks to have the same number of chips or it won't boot!"

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 20, 2016

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

lampey posted:

If you ship a computer or anything else fragile use the box provided by the manufacturer, or another box designed for shipping computers. We get a lot of laptops sent in half empty boxes with broken screens or cracked bodies.

I once got a desktop that was wrapped in brown paper. No box, no padding, just wrapped like a christmas present with paper and tape.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Don't claim your two-bit company can be contacted by email if every email just gets an auto-reply saying "Thanks for your email. Call us: <phone no>"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

B.b.but $5k has to come from somewhere, and it might mean one of the the sales guys has to drive a 6 month old car and we can't have that!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Johnny Aztec posted:

Can I just say: gently caress any companies who reuse model numbers.

If you search for any model number, no matter what it is you will get page after page of laptop batteries and ink cartridges that used the same part number as what you actually wanted.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Bob Morales posted:

We've went from:

code:
Reports - Company A
          Company B
          Company C
Meeting Minutes - Company A
                  Company B
                  Company C
to:
code:
Company A - Reports
            Meeting Minutes
Company B - Reports
            Meeting Minutes
Company C - Reports
            Meeting Minutes
So many loving times in the last few years

Changing back and forth is obviously annoying, but at least they both make sense. If that were us then those files would be in:

SHARED_STUFF \ New Folder \ Oldstuff \ geoffs documents27 \ Recent \ DO NOT DELETE \ New folder (2) - Copy - Copy \ CPNYRPTS \ 2013 \ Report 2016.doc

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

The Macaroni posted:

Back when I worked for a mass email SAAS vendor, I had to talk a client out of taking screenshots of Word documents and placing them in emails.

"Sure, this may impact our deliverability statistics, but it actually looks like it does on the boss' computer!"

God, the number of people who supposedly have years of design experience, yet who think HTML is an image format and get all pissy when someone else's computer displays the serif on an S very slightly differently...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

skooma512 posted:

Man, what were they thinking with ME?

Iirc it only exists because some dickwads in marketing refused to try to sell Windows 2000 to home users.

ME was cobbled together from all the broken/half finished updates they never got round to adding to 98, and then rushed out with minimal testing.

I read somewhere that they also sold more upgrade versions than standalone copies, so people were installing it over the top of their virus-riddled 95/98 setup and then wondering why it didn't work too well.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 28, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

pixaal posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b 02-28-2019
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b 02-21-2019

well gently caress, which one is the newest? Who the gently caress added a date to the title TWICE? why are we... oh gently caress it just keep doing that.

"It's on the shared drive, it's all carefully organised"

Z:\Share 2 - Copy\Mike's Docs\Peter\New folder (2) - Copy - Copy\BACKUP\Rpeorts\2018\Report 2015.doc

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

It's a bad sign when the company announces they are changing their name and selling the old name to a competitor right?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

fishmech posted:

But it's convenient if you use this one specific keyboard from 48 years ago. :eng99:

...that only three dozen people ever actually used.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

mllaneza posted:

Just so we're all on the same page, there's supposed to be an 'n' in 'Documents'. It gets an 'm', but only one. Somebody else might be having problems with a backup script, so I just wanted to throw that out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL02ikAqzPo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Icedude posted:

I had no idea it was possible to torque the screws on a VGA cable so much the only way to unscrew it is with an electric screwdriver, but here we are :cripes:

A significant proportion of people think those screws are holding the two halves of the universe together and need to be tightened accordingly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

regulargonzalez posted:

I will never not be baffled by people under 30 who are more computer illiterate than my 90 year old grandmother.

I think there's a 15-20 year age range where people who grew up when computers were still difficult to use developed a particular mindset about how to use them and how to troubleshoot etc.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Hey businesses, don't make a flashy site with things sliding all over the place and then have every route through your product listing lead to the exact same "call us for a price" page. It's not 1997 any more, put your loving prices on your website!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been on a bit of a UK media binge lately and something I've picked up on is one of the annoying advertising tropes there (like 'we're calling about your car's warranty' is, here) is getting calls about changing your gas supplier.

Are they talking about natural gas? Like, for heat and ovens? And how on earth can you change suppliers? The gas companies own the pipe to your house.

Unless you can tell me everyone is running off a private tank filled by trucks which is just :psyduck:

There's a national gas pipeline network connected to most homes, and many different companies act as wholesalers for the gas that goes into it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

xzzy posted:

and by 2038 anything running now will be a historical curiosity I hope

everyone in 1983 posted:

and by 2000 anything running now will be a historical curiosity I hope

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Over 60s and under 30s do everything on their phone. It's the rest of us who want to use a normal computer with a nice big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, yes they do. It's amazing what people fall for.

an email from v343487y@jhbdg874.ru saying "hello i am CEO sel campany for $65m in bitcoins and send to 3DnDFbytdbrHs82npkJeiyhdYko75rYnPm asap" would probably fool at least one person in the world