Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

I am pretty sure that it is imperative that there is at least one websense bannable phrase on every page of this thread from now on.

Some days it really feels like that's the case. WebSense seems to randomly pick pages on SA to block for me.

I'd complain, but I don't want to explain why I am on SA at work in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gweenz posted:

I don't read this forum that often, but when I do, I notice you are easily the most negative person with nothing constructive to say. How do I ignore users on here?

Click the "Profile" button under someone's post to open their profile. On that page, click "Add user to your ignore list.". It won't make the person completely invisible, what it will reduce their posts to a link that lets you click on it to see the stuff you were trying to avoid.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Do you have a link to the relevant laws that say this? Because again, the party who gives the notification is golden, obviously, it's the other party I'm wondering about.

Edit: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/08/14/want-to-record-your-conversation-with-comcast-if.html

This article seems to indicate that it's not, if you're in an all-party consent state:

Not exactly a primary source, but if you live in one of the all-party consent states you may want to be careful.

Also not a primary source, but I did find this link: http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm but I have no idea how current it is.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I did. I was the guy who paid for WinZip. I also paid for a dice-rolling app. This was back when we still said the whole word: "application".

I never paid for Winzip, but I did end up paying for WinRar and mIRC.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ocall posted:

I talked to my immediate supervisor and voiced my concerns. He was not able to convince the CIO that this was unnecessary, so he offered to stay in my place.

I did this once when I worked at a grocery store. The forecast called for snow/ice, but the end of the week closing stuff still needed to get done no matter what. So I volunteered (along with a manager and another employee) to spend the night in the store to make sure we could both open and get all the paperwork done. In the end it ended up not snowing, but I still got in a little overtime anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Good! There is nothing more annoying than a 4 minute rambling voicemail message that I could read in 20 seconds if they just loving wrote it down.

Honestly, I'll take a 4 minute message that at least has some details about what they want over the guy who leaves me messages that says "Call me about X", where X is usually a really vague subject. Yes, I really want to "call you about reports" when we have 50 different reports you could be running and I don't know if you want a new report, have a question about an old one, or just want to chat.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

The best phone calls are from people internally who will repeatedly call you without leaving messages, and then email you asking to call them back when you get a moment. At no point do they try and give a hint about what they're asking about, and they avoid the internal IM system as well - other than to maybe ask if you got their email asking you to call them.

Put. the. question. in. the. message.

I used to have a coworker who would only leave messages like "Hey, call me back about computers" with no indication if they needed a new computer, had an issue with their computer, had fallen in love with their computer and needed advice, etc. I refused to call him back though; instead I'd email him after a bit to say I was too busy to talk and that if he would email his question I'd address it as soon as I could.

Sadly he never learned to just send the email the first time, but it did cut down on the me walking blindly into whatever issue was on his mind that day.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I really hate it when our programmer drops stuff off for testing during the last hour of my shift. Not only is it the worst time for me to try focusing on testing, he's a timezone ahead of me so when I find something wrong he's not even available to look at it until tomorrow.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think you all are missing one really huge possibility: he’s unpleasant and the people he works with decided to get him fired by lying.

Then again, I’m bringing my own perspective into it just like everyone else, and my perspective is influenced by something that people would claim is stdh.txt unless I doxxed myself with the newspaper articles and court records.

Honestly, I don't even think the complaints themselves matter, as far as the story goes. As best I can tell you can boil it down to:

Company: Aesis, we want you to quit
Aesis: I'd be glad to leave, but you have to formally fire me

The company doesn't want to pay the penalties for firing him, so now it's just a tug of war as each side sees just how far they can push the other.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

My four year old can flush the toilet. Why can’t my adult coworkers?

Uuuugh, so much this. How hard can it be to take an extra couple of seconds to give the toilet another flush if it didn't fully empty the first time? There's only 9 guys in this office, it's not going to take Columbo to figure out which of you is the filthy one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I swear the city is trucking in snow to make berms to block the sidewalks and kill intersection visibility because that's still a problem despite only having 2 inches of snow at a time last winter.

I mean, they certainly do that for the Iditarod with how poor the snow's been the last few years. It's always funny when I leave my apartment the day before it starts and the city has just made a mountain of snow in the middle of the street.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
One of our IT technicians contacted me because a user opened a ticket about being unable to reinstall the program that I do user setups for. I do a couple of quick checks (user's in the right AD groups, download links are working, etc) but nothing seems wrong.

So I go back to the tech and ask him what symptoms the user reported...and he's got nothing. No error messages, no details on which download link she's using, hasn't remoted in to try installing it himself, nothing. I'm pretty annoyed at this point, so I send him back to get some basic information from the user so that we could actually troubleshoot.

After several rounds of emails between the tech and the user, he finally comes back to me with an answer: the user couldn't reinstall the program because they never uninstalled it in the first place. Apparently the user thought the way to uninstall a program was to go into the Start menu, right click on the icon, and select "Delete".

Properly uninstalling the program, then reinstalling it, fixed their issues.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Annoying me: The IT tech who tried to convince me to buy into cryptocurrencies is now trying to talk to me about Star Citizen. I am noticing a pattern here.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kyrosiris posted:

One of my coworkers is a shitizen as well (he has a spaceship as his laptop's wallpaper) but he hasn't tried to proselytize about it yet. :ohdear:

He wants to "haul cargo", presumably in space. I suggested he look at Elite Dangerous, but no that's too complicated. Instead he won't shut up about these Star Citizen propaganda videos.

"It's only $45" he says, as I wait to see how much he actually spends once he realizes he can't actually haul much cargo in the starter ship.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Pissing me off today: the least important person (in my opinion) in this meeting is the one who's asking for us to push the time back.

I'd seriously like to deny their request, but they're 1/3 of the participants and the whole point of this meeting was to get them on the same page as far as our development priorities.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

cage-free egghead posted:

I don't mind people who name their servers, just don't make it named after gods. There's like a 95% chance on reddit that people name one of their homelab servers "zeus".

We definitely have servers here named Thor and Valhalla :eng99:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
IT Tech: Hey Nemo, do you know why this legacy application needs X requirements?
Me: Sorry, I don't. I don't support that application, so you should check with Steve since he developed it.

30 minutes later

IT Tech: Hey Nemo, do you know if the server for legacy application changed?
Me: Sorry, I don't. I don't support that application, so you should check with Steve since he developed it.

5 minutes later

IT Tech: So the documentation for legacy application is wrong; it still lists the older server in the setup instructions.
IT Tech: Also, do you know why the legacy application is asking for Y?
Me: *sigh*

The real sad thing is, I know he checked in with Steve at some point because Steve mentioned sending him the most current version of the application.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Polio Vax Scene posted:

shout out to my ISP whose password policies are garbo

Up until about a month ago the password requirements on one of our major systems were:

Must be 7 to 8 characters long
Must contain at least 1 letter and 1 number
Can't reuse your last 6 passwords

They also weren't case sensitive.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Speaking of tickets, someone removed my access to the ticket system sometime this fall. I still get the email notifications, but trying to open the ticket to look at it just redirects me to our self-service page.

Part me wants to just leave it that way, but eventually I might need to actually open a ticket for something and it would be good to be able to skip the self-service system.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol I got fired hail satan :guinness:

I hope you took the new compliance binder with you on the way out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Ah, yes... the personal touch... :rolleyes:

I'd rather have my steak on a plate instead of in the cloud. It seems to be easier to eat that way.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

This is the best poo poo. No bullshit, just an easily fixed issue.

And it's for several days in the future, instead of coming in as urgent first thing Monday morning.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Steakandchips posted:

Who carries a styptic pen around at work?

Maybe his workplace was too cheap to have a first aid kit with gauze in it?

I keep a styptic pencil at my desk along with my own small first aid kit, since I don't trust anyone to make sure the one in the breakroom is stocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

Comments like this always make me nervous on others’ behalf.

Layoffs are batch hatchet jobs that eliminate large swathes of the corporate population and it is very easy to get gathered up into “Column A stays, column B goes”. I can’t think of an employee who, right before being laid off, thought “yeah if I get laid off it makes sense because I’m pretty redundant.”

If they laid you off they might lose their biggest customer or they might not. Or they might not be aware of this risk until after you are laid off at which point you are still laid off.

No one is safe during lay-off time. No one.

Apparently it caught our Director of Onsite Revenue by surprise when he got laid off, even though 1) he was the smallest group and 2) most of his functions could easily fit into other groups.

I count myself lucky that I only ended up with a 6-month furlough. Even though I'm the only QA/analyst/support for this very important program everyone uses, I wouldn't have put it past someone higher up than my director to decide that they didn't really need to test anything before releasing it to the field users.