Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
People who leave a voicemail saying "Call me" or "I have a quick question." Just tell me what you want in the message, you dumbshits. You don't have to keep your message below five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Moey posted:

Looks like someone is having a meltdown.....

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/res/4103554487.html

That's amazing.

What pisses me off? 1-800 numbers that can't transfer you without disconnecting you. Fffffffuck!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Seeing the word 'Retrospect' related to backups triggers my PTSD.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Windows 7 Explorer progress bar does that alot too, grinds away as the bar slowly fills up, and then spills into the goddamn folder window. How the hell does something like that get through QA?

Something recently that pissed me off: sumbitches that use read receipts on email.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

People keep turning on Outlook's junk mail filter and then wondering where all their critically important emails are going. <PLONK>

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Godammit if you're going to insist on bringing your Powerbook in for me to work on bring the goddamn AC adapter. Twice in a row.

Bad CEO, bad!

P.S. I bought an adapter to keep at my desk.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Misogynist posted:

...isn't very hard to do well if you understand your employees as people instead of data points...

This is the problem with pretty much every lovely job I've ever had. It all stems from this. At the last terrible place the CIO literally said "we do not have to consider the human factor in our decisions." I thought he was kidding and said "But you have to. The human factor doesn't make your decision for you but you have to consider it or you'll get terrible results. You're managing human beings, not robots." He looked at me like I was stupid and said "No we don't."

It was chilling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Seeing Pegasus gave me flashbacks to Quickmail. :cry:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm dealing with a President that demanded a color laser in his office even though there's a workgroup color laser on his assistant's desk four feet away. FOUR. He doesn't want to get his print jobs from there, she hates him so she doesn't want to bring them to him.

The only space in his office is very small so I got him a Samsung that turned out to be a piece of poo poo. Now I have to get him an HP workgroup color laser and a table big enough to hold it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Does he do a lot of printing? If not, we've good luck with Brother printers for the smaller laser printers. We have a couple of directors that have Brother Color lasers and we haven't heard a peep out of them since we set them up 2+ years ago.

I had bad experiences with Brother so I'm just getting a big HP and hope that's the end of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

The more I read this thread, the more I realize I live in a pod.

Hahaha! :getin:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

AdLib for life... :unsmith:

I know people hate printers, but executive assistants have to be a close second place.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Our corporate HQ is small, about ten people. We have a much larger site in Hollywood, and now people with offices over there are coming to corporate to "work" so they can be seen by the CEO. So they are perched at counters, camped out in the conference room, constantly asking whether or not someone will be in so they can take their office, asking for AC adapters because they're too dumb to bring their own.

You have offices, you fucks. I set them up for you. Now go and work in them!

The icing on the cake: the CEO is on vacation for a week.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Both my boss and the CAO have told me they want me to meet with family members who are in I.T. and want to do business with us. Of course I'm not obligated just because it's my boss's brother/husband/sister-in-law, etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When you consider how stupidly dependent people are on their cellphones it baffles me how so many lose the loving things. People are texting and Facebooking 24 hours a goddamn day to the point where they will literally walk into traffic while doing so and still they lose them.

The president asked me to order him a new one just last week, and now he's lost the current one and can't wait for the replacement to arrive on Tuesday. If it's that important keep track of it. :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sylink posted:

The Prince is a good start.

:confuoot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The contractors upgrading the floor for our new HQ hacked out at least half of the Ethernet cabling!

:negative:

EDIT: Goddammit!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 25, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Plus, they're punchdown blocks. I would rather they cut them right at the connector so that there's still enough slack in the wall to redo them if necessary.

I did not post pictures of the huge piles of chopped cables. :smithicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Some chucklef... moro... misguided person in corporate IT has pushed out a policy to all laptop users which changes the lid close action to "Hibernate".

:bravo:

This tempts me to change the lid close action to Shutdown. :devil:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The contractors have been dry walling over the network jacks in the new HQ executive offices. :gonk:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

:stare: why would they do this. How can you be this stupid?

I walked through and cut a small hole with my pocket knife to indicate all the places they need to fix. At least I got to them before they did all the new offices like that.

This buildout and transition has been teetering on the verge of clusterfuck for a couple of weeks. The CEO insists we have to move 12/27 and be ready Monday morning. So it's a good thing I don't have plans for Christmas!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If anyone has ever dealt with a building management system you probably already know my pain. Large complex of buildings, ten year old system and the stupidest goddamn vendor ever. I've spent a year trying to get them to come in and complete migration to the latest version of their lovely BMS and it's still not done. The manufacturer specifies a single vendor per region so we're stuck with them, and the latest is that after loving up the SQL install on the new server they snuck back in to fix it and then quietly started upgrading PCs without telling me. This is bad because the product has crippled most of the machines they installed it on but they just kept plugging away until all of them were updated.

Also you can't roll it back. All terminals must run the same version or none of them work. So the software had to be removed from the crippled machines, but their whole reason for being is to run the goddamn BMS software.

Anyway... bad vendors make everything worse, and vendor lock-in with a bad vendor is the worst.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TWBalls posted:

I've posted a couple of videos of those on Facebook. Pretty neat. Better than going to the dump at least.

I just watched the Ghostbusters one, grinning like a fool. If your early computer days were seasoned with the sounds of floppy drives you'll understand.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

luminalflux posted:

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

They're Pokemon fan art, aren't they?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm getting close to the end of a major project to combine our L.A. staff in one HQ. The move is set for 12/27 and today I hear that at least a dozen of the forty people coming to this site insist on maintaining an office at their old site. Several are desktop users so it's not as simple as putting a docking station together. Also they will all require new IP phones since they're bringing their current one to the new HQ.

Not sure how many executives will do the same. I know of two for certain, and as other executives catch wind of it they'll want to do it too.

The icing on the cake? They won't get to keep their offices at the old site so I'll also be building out new offices and have to get one or more copiers and multiple printers to serve them. And they want it all done by the move date which obviously can't happen since demo can't even start until they move out.

Fuckers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

spog posted:

Gee IT, I guess that BB 9900 stopped working, just like the BB 8900 and the 8830 before that.

What replacement are you going to give me this time?

</Digs grimy BB Torch out of junk box.>

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

blame the Blackberry

Support enough of them and you'll know this is true.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Maybe they automatically disqualify anyone who has written more than 500 lines of code from applying.

Do they count DOS batch files? :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When we took over this floor I found a dirty old laserjet 4000tn left behind by the prior tenant. I stuck it in a corner out of the way since I don't have storage for bulky stuff.

Today one of our special snowflakes demanded a printer at his cubicle instead of using the $600 a month high speed copier I got for his department. I don't have the authority to say 'no' to pretty much anything.

Guess which printer he got?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That's what reams of paper are for.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Helpdesk? Yeah, I need someone over here right away, my monitor is out of paper. THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION.

I'm going to have to stage an intervention for this guy:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I use Filemaker for my inventory. I have a table for employees that includes position and location, and entries tagged with their name appear in that table. So I can look at a piece of hardware (Laptop, cellphone, etc.) and see in the notes who used it, or look at an employee and see what's assigned to them. Makes it easier to generate reports based on user, location, hardware type, account number and so on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The HR VP just approved $8,000 in monitor arms. Some of them are $480 bucks!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A person who has made themselves curiously unreachable scheduled an a/v vendor to work on a holiday so guess who had to drop everything to come in? There are reasons I dislike pretty much everyone everywhere now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tomapot posted:

But your spoon is too big to get to the bottom, and I wind up feeling gipped.

This is a common problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We aren't going to get taken out by an asteroid or global warming, we will be nickel and dimed to death by the inexorable spread of paying for every single aspect of one's life. If we're still walking in twenty years expect to pay more to walk on the shady side of the loving street.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

I really felt this way at my last gig. The cure was to get up and out of there. Find a new job. There are a lot of the same problems and a whole batch of new ones (DoD contracting, red tape...) at my new job but the change of scenery is refreshing. Sometimes you just need to shake up your reality a little bit. IT is not my passion, it never will be, but it's the only thing I know and the only skill I have that can pay me the way that it does.

I guess what I'm saying is, buckle down, focus and get out. Maybe that means getting out of IT entirely? It could just mean getting into another gig/new-ish environment. It depends on your situation. For me, leaving IT wasn't an option even though if I won the lottery tomorrow I would never touch another computer again. My wife and I had our first child this year and it shook up my priorities quite a bit.

36 here...

I'm 47 and due to always working in small shops and never once having a mentor I have far fewer tech skills than the rest of you. My only real strengths are:

1. I can manage I.T., including upper management and vendors
2. I have been around a long time and I've seen pretty much everything
3. I look younger than I am

There's no way out for me and staying current is close to impossible now. My workload went from very low to very high over a six month period so there's no time for anything other than my task list.

So this is it until I can't get an I.T. job that pays my bills, at which point I'll... no idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Auditors are the worst houseguests. They're multiplying, they leave crap everywhere and they keep touching my technology. Even having them on a VLAN makes me feel like I need a handi-wipe for my network switch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For reasons even the VP of HR was unable to explain we now have an ADP/Kronos timeclock for our handful of hourly people. Apparently they thought their PCs took too long to boot up so they could clock in via the website, so instead of telling them to come in early enough to do so was too much trouble.

And to get things started off right HR has already lost the maintenance keycard so I can't complete the install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Yeah sorry but gently caress turning up early to compensate for a clock in system reliant on PCs which take ages to start up.

It's the company's responsibly to provide tools which are adequate for the job, not the employe's responsibility to spend extra time on site because the tools are poo poo.

The PCs are all current and boot up quickly. The staff are showing up late (or returning late from breaks) and blaming the late clock in on the PC. So I guess they'll get what they want: a very strict timekeeper. I used to work at a call center so I hate digital sweatshops. No one should care about minor variances in clock in times.

That said something else is pissing me off: supporting this ancient legacy system piece of poo poo:

I've dug through the batch files and found references to using Sidekick if you don't have enough memory for the program. :shobon: