Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not even an IT guy, I just work in a small office but I'm the most computery so I'm the "IT" department most of the time, I'm not even a loving mac guy. But printers, a million times printers. If you could put every computer problem I've ever had on any system over the course of my entire life, and the very idea of "printers" on the other side, printers would win every loving time. gently caress printers.

A printer we had on our tiny 5 computer and a server network that worked fine for years suddenly stopped. After the entire office worked for nearly a whole day to get it working again we called some loving "mac pros" over and even they couldn't fix it. Apparently the latest mac OS isn't compatible with the printer driver if it's on a network, so now we have to load what we want printed on a USB stick and take it over to the computer that's hooked up to the printer. Our computers can all see the printer, we can even print to it sometimes, but can't access any options.

My poor boss probably wasted a solid 3 full days of work time loving around with it or on hold with various tech support places trying to fix it. It absolutely boggles my mind how the entire world of printers is such a poo poo-show. There's ALWAYS something. There's always some epson driver update that suddenly deletes all your presets, or tells you you're out of gloss optimizer when you don't even have a printer that has it. Or suddenly every time you print it's "incorrect paper source setting" or some gently caress up that takes hours of research, driver updates, driver roll-backs, and tech support calls to fix.

And then there's all the inadvisable and time-wasting things your poor boss tries in desperation to fix the problem :(

I'd hate to be tech support for a printer company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't the EU trying to force cable standards on apple and they're flipping out?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We didn't even get any snow this winter so far in my neck of Canada...

So I haven't seen my parents for a while and when I went over and let my self in I heard some commercial BLARING in the house. I thought they left the TV on (they always do) but nope, it was the computer. I looked at their laptop and it had about 20 pop-ups playing ads, one playing an audio ad for some survey they won. I also noticed he had about 6 toolbars and his tray was just FULL of stupid poo poo.

My poor dad thinks he's pretty good with computers, but it's nearly the same story every time I go over. Some friend of a friend will post some loving musical slideshow on his facebook and suddenly he HAS to make one, so then he spends the next 6 hours downloading every program, every browser-ad on, every plugin imaginable that might let him make a music slideshow. He claims he reads everything but I know he just clicks through every installer without even reading.

Seriously what is with baby boomers and installing a billion toolbars and adware programs and they never admitting they did anything wrong. He was asking me what anti-spyware program I use, or what program I use to clean that stuff off my computer. I felt bad telling him but I just had to say "I haven't used one in about 6 years, I just don't install poo poo that comes with that stuff" and he refuses to believe its possible. Having your default search, homepage, and bookmarks change every time you do anything is totally unavoidable and just part of using a computer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Belial42 posted:

I just had a PM tell me that my company isn't buying mice and keyboards for a new operations center. Instead they're going to buy these keyboard+touchpad combo units because they're cheaper.

And they will totally yell at the workers when their productivity goes way down. "just adapt to the trackpads they were cheaper"