Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I just browse on my phone without connecting to wifi when I'm at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

poo poo that's pissing me off: my university's Desire2Learn instance (also why the gently caress do you assholes use the number 2 instead of the word :mad:) . It's a total cluster gently caress with no standardization. Different professors stick course information in different places because there are a bunch of different options and none of them make sense.

This site should have:
Class syllabus
One place for class notes (lecture notes/hand outs)
One place for homework
One place for quizzes
Grades
Maybe a calendar that automatically fills in due dates based on the due dates in the homework and quiz sections.

This poo poo should not be spread across half a dozen different drop downs with half a dozen options in each in various places such that it takes 5 minutes per course to find out if there is anything due in the next week.

There's also a helpful little "Upcoming events" area which lists information seemingly at random and the information listed is often incomplete so following it is a terrible idea.

For example last week I knew I had an assignment coming up but didn't know when it was due. I log in and the upcoming events section actually shows my assignment. Fantastic! It shows: "October: Assignment 3 due Friday." I thought that meant the first Friday in October because why else would you preface it with October when it was still September. Nope it was due September 27. I should have clicked on it to go to the assignment and download the pdf and found out the actual due date but I had a bunch of other poo poo to do which was due much sooner.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Both lessons are important, but never underestimate the usefulness of disabling a computer/someone's account to force them to talk to you.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure every college has someone you can talk to that will confirm your degree without the need to disclose your entire transcript.

My university farmed this off to a third party that apparently only discloses the student's start date and end date. No information about graduation or anything just the start date of the first semester you enrolled for and the end date of the last semester you enrolled for.

Background check company called me up all confused because the third party records people could only tell them that I started attending the university in 2007 and 'finished' attending December of 2013 (aka the end of the current semester which isn't my last semester). I got my BS in 2008 and went back for a graduate degree in 2011 which I think is important information for someone doing a background check but I guess my university went with the lowest bidder on that one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A 'winter coat' in Texas, at least when I lived in Dallas, was a windbreaker jacket at most.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I sometimes wonder if when these people take their cars to the mechanic they refuse to communicate in anything more than hoots and whistles.
They are every bit as dumb and entitled when they go to a mechanic. Also the big chain shops have managers and policies that are just as loving dumb as the ones we deal with!

Evidence from AI:

13 INCH DICK posted:

quote:

You guys did an oil change on my vehicle and now it wants to die at stop lights, the brake light is on, and theres a bad burning smell.
Verified customer complaint. Found parking brake to have been applied after service and customer drove off without releasing parking brake. Berated by customer for five minutes about application of parking brake without prior informing. Status: resolved.

quote:

My car is dangerously dark while driving at night and I have 2 burned out headlights.
Verified customer complaint. Found customer did not know they had a high beam selector. Status: resolved.

quote:

You guys did an oil change on my vehicle and broke my radio.
Verified customer complaint. Found technician to have turned radio off when pulling vehicle in for service. Customer states 'they didn't know it could do that. Status: resolved.

quote:

You guys rotated my tires and now my trunk leaks.
Verified customer complaint. Found to be a collision repair vehicle. Trunk seal replaced for free for customer satisfaction. Status: resolved.

quote:

You guys did a flat [tire] repair yesterday and my engine fell out.
Verified customer complaint. Found all subframe bolts missing, engine and subframe cradle held into vehicle by wiring harnesses and hoses. Replaced all necessary components due to call to corporate because we weren't supposed to remove the subframe bolts when doing a flat repair. Status: resolved free of charge.

Dick Diggler posted:

Is there actually a risk of being sued that makes managers roll over for these people instead of telling them to gently caress off or is it something else?

Fucknag posted:

^In my case it's pressure from above to "BUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH CUSTOMERS", even if it's pointless and unreasonable poo poo like this. Retail employees have to suck the customer's dick no matter what, and since it's all one company that means we have to, too.

Alright sir we've got your power steering fixed, whisper quiet and it doesn't leak anymore.

"Uhhmmmmm... the front bumper... it's hanging loose..."

Well, yes, sir, it was like that when you brought it in. I saw it dragging when you pulled up.

"Nuh-uh, it was fine. It's a brand new car!"

It's a 99 Altima with 240k miles!

"Well you need to fix this, I'm a paying customer"

Nodoze posted:

We goodwill a lot of stuff at work for customer satisfaction, otherwise they allegedly won't come back and they can't have these people potentially going elsewhere for stuff.

These are the people that will never fill out a customer survey though, unless it's a bad one. So the writers get hosed either way

The grass is, in fact, not any greener.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Microsoft went from the IE model of HTML email to the Word model. Throws a wrench into anything you want to make look nice in GMail and Outlook. You get to use tables again!

There's a website that has a much bigger list - anyone know what it is?
I love this. IBM: gently caress your standards :colbert:

Pretty well sums up the entire Lotus Notes philosophy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Those things take way too loving long to do one as a joke.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I asked a minion to go release an email then check the logs to find out at why it got blocked by our spam filter.

He found the email and released it, then told me that it wasn't in the logs. That's weird, because it shouldn't be possible for us to receive an email without having it hit the gateway. I go dig into the logs, find it, and send it to him asking what the deal is.

This is the reply I get:

Your minion needs to install Notepad++ super bad.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Swink posted:

Are there services out there for testing the upload speed of a link? I need to verify the capacity of our newly installed internet link. Everything Google turns up like speedtest.net is a tiny upload file which is usually finished in 5 seconds.

I need to have a sustained upload over an hour or more so I can point to a graph and say "Yes this link is maxed at 20mbit"

You could always seed a bunch of linux isos or something.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Lum posted:

To be fair, chip+pin is pretty easy to defeat, since the PIN is stored on the card and it's a boolean "PIN verified" flag that gets sent back to the card provider.

The only thing chip+pin does is let the banks say "not our fault, you must have revealed your PIN", and then refuse to refund you. See also: 3D Secure.

To go along with this here's a Defcon talk on just how poo poo the current (at least as of mid 2011 some of this might have been fixed?) implementation of chip and pin is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABJlvrZWbY

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 24, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got so much flak from the dude trying to hire me at one place because I refused to tell him how much I was making at the time (I wasn't making much but the positions weren't really comparable anyway). I just told him to make a reasonable offer and we could go from there. The offer was terrible and I turned it down but it was more than current hourly rate+1 so the strategy mostly worked.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yup, use that all the time on every android phone I've owned.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

rolleyes posted:

I don't comment on youtube videos either so I'm still good.

Yeah, anyone that doesn't have YouTube comments blocked or otherwise pretends they don't exist is doing it wrong.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The stereotype that IT people can barely manage to dress themselves and are unable to interact with people in a reasonable way doesn't need more fuel :cripes: Get it together nitrogen's coworkers.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:psyduck: aside from the fact that it'll broadcast the SSID on every new connection for a snooping kit to pickup? That's not security, that's just plain lazy

Tony was (and probably still is) a lazy and incompetent piece of poo poo, and I don't know how Dick Trauma managed to work there as long as he did without hanging Tony by one of his obnoxiously long network cables.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Licenses to unlock features that already exist in the hardware you've bought is a thing in electronics engineering equipment as well. For example an oscilloscope that has a 100mhz bandwidth but will only give you access to 50mhz without a license or a 5 digit multimeter that will only display 4 unless it has a license. It certainly makes sense from a manufacturing cost perspective but it's rather annoying to know that the hardware can do significantly more than what it's doing.

Pretty sure there's talk of doing this to cars as well. They will all come with a big display but you will have to buy a navigation license or backup camera license or entertainment license to make those parts work.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Upgrading Windows versions is never a good idea. Backup, flatten, and install for a good experience and none of those problems.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You would think but, well, Microsoft.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

:words:
Can anyone guess why?

She never actually used the new system?

Got to love that. "I don't care that your way is better in every single possible way. The system needs to work exactly like this. Wait, why is this system complete garbage you suck I'm not using this."

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

jim truds posted:

Ahahah, the guy we hired months ago to primarily create our new images and deploy laptops has no idea how to create a new image. :suicide:
"Oh, oh dear! I thought you wanted to me take pictures of destroyed laptops! Seemed a little weird but I don't really know anything about computers so I just rolled with it."

Caged posted:

HP used to do some stuff but gently caress HP, they should be punished with a lack of sales for having a website as terrible as theirs.
What's really baffling to me about HP's website is that there are multiple different HP websites depending on which URL you start with. I guess when they do a redesign they don't take the old one offline they just give it a different URL so depending on what google search you follow you end up with a completely different HP website. It's been a year and a half or so but last time I had to deal with HP poo poo I was still able to somehow get to the functioning one and everything was good.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MPC-HC always ends up a few versions behind for me because of that. Also keepass because it doesn't check for updates until after you've put in the master password and I can't be bothered to go download, install, and re-auth just after I've finished typing my huge master password.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm having trouble getting games for windows live to work on windows 8.1 which is eventually going to piss me off (whenever I get the urge to play Dark Souls again) but right now I think it's hilarious. I'm just going to assume Microsoft wants to pretend that heap of poo poo never existed and, really, who could blame them. Windows 8.1: Protecting you from the horrors of GFWL.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

In the sense that no more games are being made that use it. However all of the games that required GFWL won't run if the GFWL application isn't installed and functioning.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Lum posted:

Supposedly it's now Games for Windows Marketplace

That said, there are a variety of drop-in xlive.dll files out there that satisfy the game's requirements without actually needing that poo poo installed. Can't link to them because of the obvious piracy use, but it's largely a solved problem no thanks to Microsoft.

Yeah, that bit (and the old GFWL) install fine. However when running either of them it pops up saying it requires some login application that does something? Which won't even attempt to install. I will look into alternative methods as I wasn't aware those existed. Thanks.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Agrikk posted:

We are in a union building so the

This happens in non-union places as well. It's hard to get people to give a gently caress about a lovely job with lovely pay.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Swiftkey fixes the second problem but definitely not the first.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Holy poo poo that's amazing. Thank you.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If cost of living in Ohio is anything like not-chicago Illinois then 50k allows for a pretty comfortable life and isn't too bad for a junior position. Not saying it's fantastic or anything but it's probably reasonable depending on experience. 32k is bullshit though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Should have just searched for coupons and clicked any of the links. Every user that I've ever seen that's in to coupons has all kinds of browser poo poo infecting their computer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

At least there would be a shitload of free and pretty ok beer to make things better.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, what is even worse about it is a ton of training beyond entry level stuff is insanely expensive. Since I know work will never pay for a SANS course for anyone but 1-2 specific people, I'm out ever getting that. Coworker wants to take the VCP, keeps getting stonewalled.
My new place gives everyone in my department/team/whatever we are two SANS courses per year plus a conference (Blackhat and Defcon are popular choices). Course/travel/lodging/food/whatever else paid for. Also the cert test if you want it. :smug: Of course, we're the exception as no other IT areas get any expensive training anymore so who knows how long we'll get special treatment.

My team gets treated pretty well overall and as a result we work hard and get poo poo done. The other IT groups don't get treated all that well and don't really give a poo poo if things get done right or at all. I'm sure those two things are unrelated.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 30, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I've found out that people who email things to themselves is a pretty good litmus test for how likely they are to piss you off when attempting simple tasks.
At least twice in the last week I've emailed something to myself to remind me to do something. An unread email is a good reminder and much faster than making a reminder/to-do in Notes (:argh:).

Lareous posted:

Just to be clear, are there any of you that like your current boss? I just want to make sure there are indeed good ones.

My supervisor and my boss are both awesome. Supervisor is super chill, highly technical, knows how to bypass most of the corporate bureaucracy, and does all the things a supervisor should do and does them well.

Boss keeps the higher ups and other managers out of our hair so we can actually work and goes to bat for us to get whatever we need (if we can articulate why we need something we'll get it even if it's expensive) and ensures that we're getting plenty of training (2 SANS classes and a conference per year, currently). He also keeps pushing (with some success) to increase our head count. He lets us get away with a lot so long as we get our work done.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Spending the week in a nice hotel going to some expensive training and life is good. Except that I cannot loving remember my KeePass password for my work accounts. I didn't write down the master password and bring it with me because I forgot but also because I logged in first try last time (like 3 weeks ago) so I thought I was fine. For some reason I decided to shut down my laptop instead of just hibernating like usual so I actually need to log into everything. Can't VPN or get to my email until I remember this. What is really pissing me off is that I know the various bits that I used for the password just not how I combined them.

Probably going to have to have one of my co-workers break into my desk and get my super secret post it. :cripes:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Galler posted:

Probably going to have to have one of my co-workers break into my desk and get my super secret post it. :cripes:

Yup, talked a coworker through breaking into my desk and retrieving my password. Good news though, he couldn't read my about half of it but was able to give me enough pieces so I could figure it out. Now I'm back in, "productive," and he doesn't know my password*. :toot:

*still changing it of course and bribing/thanking him with lunch.

This hotel is way too classy for me. Most of the people around here are in nice suits and dresses and the hotel food is hilariously expensive. There's a Panera in the lobby and all kinds of places within walking distance though so that's nifty. Got a good instructor for this course and the course itself is pretty good.

IT can be pretty awesome. If you're in a lovely position then keep tossing resumes out there and hopefully you can strike gold like I did.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I wear nicer clothes than I have to because they're comfy and I don't want to be the least professionally dressed person in the office. Also, I'm not crawling under desks or walking the factory floor anymore.

gently caress wearing a suit jacket and tie though. That poo poo is exclusively for interviews.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Super Slash posted:

On that note, I don't get why people print out their work related E-mails; Like... it's right there on the screen, for what reason do you need a paper copy of a new client notification?

It helped out my team today. A process dragged on so long that the original emails had all gotten eaten by retention and only my boss' hard copy was left. It wasn't a CYA type email so no one bothered to save it off or up the retention date but it still would have chewed up an hour of a few peoples time to remember what all was in the original email.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They're still legal but halon cannot be imported or produced anymore (since '94 as well). All 'new' halon comes from recycled halon from decommissioned fire suppression systems and the like.

Also, a lot of people don't know the difference between halon/inergen/whatever systems but know the term halon so they go with that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

This doesn't mean it requires a reformat, right? I think I have an 840 at home but I don't care enough to reinstall my poo poo.

Correct, it doesn't require a format. It just goes through the disk and rewrites everything without modifying any data after updating the firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

All season tires are garbage unless you get the really good (expensive) ones and even then they're worse than winter or summer tires during their respective seasons. There's a reason all seasons are frequently called 'no season' tires.

If it's routinely less than 40*F wherever you are then you should have winter tires even if there isn't any snow or ice. If there's snow or ice then winter tires should be mandatory. Those 'dangerous' conditions suddenly become not at all dangerous when you have tires that actually work in the conditions.