Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

So I have a bit of a quandary now that maybe you guys could help with. As part of the 'Christmas bonus' my boss has stipulated two things:
1. Take a 3 month 'mentorship' with an entrepreneur's programme wherein an incredibly rich successful person mentors me (he's been through the same thing) at company expense
2. Choose a 4-5 day professional development conference and go to it. On anything, anywhere in North America. Also at company expense

So 1. will take care of itself, but 2. is interesting because I've never been to anything at all like that, and wanted to pick your guys' brains about what would be a good one to go to, or maybe something you guys are already going to. My interests/responsibilities are incredibly broad, since what we do is usually take a small company, insert efficiencies based on our past experience/software engineering, and then grow it into a larger company, which means I've done everything from phone support to accounting to specc'ing enterprise servers to writing REST interfaces. This is kind of what I 'want' to do with this conference/seminar though:
- .NET development/MSSQL, but not newbie stuff, and not desktop stuff
- Mobile/App development, iOS/Android
- This new fangled Docker/Container stuff and integrating it with existing cloud services
- eCommerce in general
- Some big company specific conference? Google IO/MS Dev Days? Do you guys go to these?
- Some crazy good futurist/conceptual conference you guys know about that I don't?

What I don't want:
- Anything SEO/Marketing related. Good god you can't turn over a rock without finding some marketing event.

Unfortunately he didn't accept Burning Man as an option, but more because it's so far away, I think he's shooting for Q1/Q2. Do you guys have any exposure to any upcoming events that would be cool to go to?

Lastly it was a very nice surprise that I'm not sure should be posted in this thread since it seems to run counter to its thesis.

This isn't something in your list but I'll throw it out anyway for the benefit of anyone in a similar but more (network) security oriented position. Take a SANS class instructed by Mike Poor in whatever location suits your fancy. He's a great instructor and has loving awesome stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

My coworker is being such a hardon. We're trying to buy a bunch of Gigamon stuff, which would let us halve the number of sensors we need at each site. He's freaking out because of the cost of the Gigamon setup, however when you factor in that we'll need half as many sensors, it adds up to about $40k in savings.

Bit late on this but we've had endless issues with our Gigamon poo poo. When it works it's great but even Gigamon's techs can't get the thing to function properly. Like always the next update is supposed to fix everything and when it doesn't, well, the next one totally will.

I've heard good things about Net Optics so might want to give them a shot if you're doing a PoC/if they can handle your use case.

e: I don't mean to suggest that Gigamon's equipment flat out doesn't work. It's been feeding our sensors for like a year now but we have to watch the feeds like a hawk since we will randomly lose some traffic. Also the (competent) networking dudes complain about the thing a lot and have had to put in far too many change management tickets to attempt vendor fixes which never work.

CitizenKain posted:

We recently got a bunch of Gigamon stuff in to replace a bunch of NTAPs, and so far the Gigamon stuff is impressively orange. No idea how well it will work, but goddamn that poo poo is orange.

It is supremely easy to find in the data center.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 24, 2015