Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

nitrogen posted:

I edit passwd file by hand

Does that include vipw? Because I use that to edit passwd daily....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Inspector_666 posted:

Shouldn't any UPS worth using in a server room clean up the incoming power?

No. There are three types of UPSes.

* Offline/standby -- cheapo UPSes that only activate when the power goes out
* Line-interactive -- better, probably says SINE WAVE! on the box and promises to handle under and over volt scenarios. Basically an Offline UPS with a voltage regulator slapped in there for good measure. I see lots of these in server rooms / racks.
* Online/double-conversion -- power is always coming from the batteries, is always clean, is always sine wave, is always the right voltage. These are expensive. They do make smaller ones which you can find at a reasonable price, but usually they're the big boys providing UPS power for whole datacenters, etc. They do make the batteries last longer though, which can lower the cost in the long run. APC makes some suitable for server rooms, but I don't know which models are true Online UPSes off the top of my head.

feld fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 3, 2013