Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

WiX is pretty cool and has a gigantic manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CitizenKain posted:

So this week we had the weirdest error I've seen in a long time. At one of our sites, they had grown to the point where we needed to expand their IP range, mainly because they have 1 printer for every 3 people. We have a few more like that, and we moved them from a /24 to a /23 without issue, and haven't had a problem.

About 3 weeks ago, a user was setting up a training room and some of the laptops couldn't get an IP address. They would try for bit, then fail handing out a 169.254 address. If you released/renewed a few times, they would usually connect. Since we just handle the switches and firewalls, there wasn't much we could do, the DHCP forwarder was working fine, dhcp-relay wasn't blocked and we could see traffic getting to the dhcp server. We kicked it back to our Windows group, they looked at it for about a day, then sent it back. We'd again point out that DHCP was fine for everyone else there, and it looked like it was only machines that were dipping into the higher pool that had issues. Ticket goes back, Windows guy sits on it for a few days, then says he's too busy.

We finally get someone onsite and get them to run wireshark for a bit, while connecting and reconnecting. He sends up the PCap file and my coworker starts digging though it. After digging though it, he finds that something is occasionally answering dhcp requests, not all the time, just kinda whenever. He gets the mac address, digs through the switches and finds it. Oddly enough, its showing up on 2 switch ports in 2 different vlans. We get the person onsite to go track it down, and oddly enough, its a video conference system. There are network cables plugged into both ports, only of them is actually used by the system, the other is just kinda there. Tech removes the second cable and go back to testing dhcp, works every time.

I dig into the video system and find that there is an option to do dhcp for the connected cameras, but that feature is off. There is no other option on the system to do anything else with that port. So at some point, someone plugged in both ports and somehow enabled a video conference system to be a lovely dhcp server.

So why don't you have DHCP snooping on the switches? Too cheap?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

Also they should make hot CPU/memory add the default, my boss is terrified of that option and doesn't believe we should use it.

It's nice but doesn't work on all OS, Linux itself is constantly patching hot-CPU support for esoteric configurations.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 18, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

My old boss looked at me with a straight face and said you could run the same amount of users on a 48 port switch as you could with six 8 port switches, because 6 x 8 = 48

Some vendors have separate fibre uplink ports, i.e. 8+2. Some had proprietary interconnects for stacking into a virtual 48-port switch, I have some 3COM docs that cover the configuration.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use six Fast Ethernet media converters to daisy chain all the switches together using coax Ethernet. Almost.

Cannot beat using a single cat-5e cable for two cat-3 connections to save money. Runs perfect in single line tests, the amount of line noise when both are active is impressive.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 18, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

No tea or coffee is pretty bad for even the smallest of companies.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

you ate my cat posted:

I work for one of the top 15 companies in the Fortune 500.

A lot of big banks in NYC have bad coffee vending machines, so at least they're under contract and support. There are sufficient coffee houses around each outside though for something better.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

JUST HANG UP THE loving PHONE!

It's probably the longest conversation with anyone for the entire week.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Actually it was a wireless presentation device. Why would you manufacture one of those with DHCP server capabilities in the first place?

I would presume standalone operation, it appears quite common for devices to ship with DHCP for discovery or initial setup these days.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

sssd is there to cache ldap/kerberos credentials.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ha, another use for the "the :yayclod: is someone else's computer" sticker, a while back 6 major cloud file services providers shutdown completely with no notice or additional export facility.

http://technode.com/2016/05/10/personal-cloud-content-crackdown/

My brother-in-law is not good at the backup.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

poo poo PISSING ME OFF:

Dumb grumblings from the rest of the IT guys about how we need to get rid of the Macs in our environment because they're too much trouble to support and integrate with other things. Uhhhh... stop buying garbage product/system after garbage product/system.

Being more incompetent than IBM Consulting is quite a shameful achievement.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Production operations rules are amazing sometimes:

quote:

Ops person won’t let us restart the process until after the close so the screen will be down today
Cannot start or stop any process from 9-4, if even it has malfunctioned.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nielsm posted:

So if the crashed process has caused partial or complete stop in the production, and restarting it would allow production to resume at full capacity, it would still not be permitted? Because that would sound overly rigid.

Correct. I'll have to find out what rules lawyering schemes there are, like building self-healing intelligence into the app so it restarts itself on errant conditions

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

I'm deploying a virtual appliance and it turns out it's running CentOS 5, which was EOL'd at the beginning of the month.

Extended support available till 2021, :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

This morning I got a call from my boss that a DBA reported that a service wasn't working and to get into the office. Didn't get any emails or further information. Came into the office, boss was on a call with the DBA, I walked in and raised my voice at them for providing me with no information but still asking me to fix a problem. DBA got extremely butthurt that I would deign to talk to him like that. While on the call the DBA explains that he ran an upgrade on this service that might fix it, without telling us, and is stopping/starting the service, without saying anything. I don't know what he wants from IT, because it sounds like if he's going to fix these problems on his own then he should fix these problems on his own.

It's like a DBA's job is to administer the DB or something spooky.

Do DBA's think they're in IT or IS or a special :yayclod: ?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That version number. Just imagine the release notes.

For a "user friendly" interface why does it have such a terrible name?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dross posted:

I have two side by side 1080p 24" monitors at work, one over VGA and one over DisplayPort, and I can't tell a difference.

Interference normally starts being visible at 1280×1024 and above so you're borderline at that low resolution, but if you have cheap monitors they could well be analog panels inside anyway.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

Have you gotten to the REUT of the issue?

Thomson Reuters is bigger than that, they also gently caress up web things quite impressively at times too. Creating corporate software that doesn't support proxies is not uncommon.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's tied to the file system operations, create could be an admin procedure to only add new entries, and then edit is the normal operator level.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Manager at my old job bragged about the cot he kept in his office. "I worked a lot of all-nighters to get this company where they are"

British English works well here: cot = baby’s bed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It can be a lot cheaper these days going to a digital signage company, yesterday we had NASA asking for something similar. idk what the going rate is for a total setup though, the software bit is super cheap.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

silicone thrills posted:

*slaps a 75" LED screen up and tapes an apple tv to the back of it*

I GOTCHU

You could almost grab 4 x 86” LG signage units on the cheap from Displays2Go.com and 🤞 big time that you can daisy chain and work with their SuperSign CMS :lol:

Asked about LED walls and they’re plenty 6 figgies. Usually you pay for labour to install and that can end up cray cray too.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

less than three posted:

:downs: Why so expensive? Can't you just put a bunch of $500 cheap rear end TVs from Best Buy on the wall and find some freeware and Make It Work?

This is becoming more popular, the TVs don’t last long but cheap to replace and you end up with newer models. You can drive 4-6 panels from one PC without much problem and use VLC or whatever to run the video.

Edit for bezels:

More glorious examples here:

https://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/video-walls-the-right-and-wrong/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 15, 2020

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Virigoth posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone out of PSUs? Damnit all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18

About 2-3 weeks for a Corsair SF600, and 2 months or so for a SF750.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

bull3964 posted:

It's one of the reasons why I went with a SF450 for my new build, I could actually get it.

And you know what, it's fine. Ryzen 3700x, GTX1080, 32gb of ram, and 3 SSDs and it barely gets the fan moving under load full load (running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously). Crazy how power efficient stuff is now.

I have a GTX 1650 Super and it would occasionally reset on an old Corsair CS550M. The fan on the GPU died so I RMA'd it to MSI and it's sitting in their delivery room due to CA shutdown. Company bought an RTX 2060 to replace it and it resets on almost any GPU work whatsoever. So order a replacement PSU as this thing is like 7 years old, and stuck on backorder.

7 year old CPU, motherboard, 8GB RAM, 1 × SSD. I already replaced a GTX 760 GPU that was in it, and a Corsair AIO block.

I have some gigantic rack based PC on order to replace the whole system, together with far too many other SoC TV's and digital signage boxes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Agrikk posted:

I hit the hardware performance limit on my music production PC and I’m in the rabbit hole of pc kit.

I'm in a similar situation with a MacBook but for graphics side of things. I've been using a server case (but single PSU) PC for a bit and the difference is stark. Here is the Task Manager on Windows when running the piece that is causing people the most concern:

Going from a single display to four displays, ...

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is there a name for the different RJ45 based RS232 protocol pinouts? I've found 3 or so popular ones,

1) Cisco console , 6 = TX, 3 = RX

2) Vanilla RJ-45 to DB-9 Serial Cable, 4 = TX, 5 = RX.

3) Some weird printer thing, 1 = TX, 2 = RX

4) Touch input things, 1 = TX, 3 = RX

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 23, 2021