Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Started a new job last week and the change from working in the private sector to working at the county admin building has been a shock. Like having to use Groupwise for everything. I understand legacy systems, entrenched, etc. but isn't Exchange somewhat a standard?

Adding to that, what the job listing and what I was told in my interview is just a tiny bit different than what I'm actually going to be doing. I thought it was a maintenance position and would be assisting someone else while the county TV station upgrades to HD. Turns out, I'm in charge of everything having to do with the station. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that since I had no power/position at my old station and I considered myself a glorified helper monkey.

"Here's a list that a consultant made four years ago with recommended items. He's working on another one that we will actually use for the purchasing plan."
:hehe: "Great, I'll look it over." I don't recognize any of these brands and they all look way overpriced.

"Hey, we used to get the Pentagon channel a couple years ago on the sat dish but its gone now. Could you find it again."
:hehe: "OK, let me find a page that translates the acronyms that the dish controller uses into actual sat names. Found one, damm I didn't know tripod still existed."
20 minutes later
:hehe: "Cool, got the signal. Dammit, they aren't broadcasting due to the shutdown of the federal government."

But I'm trying to look at it in a positive way. I'm going to be in charge of every aspect, from systems to buy to the color of individual wires. So I'm gonna be documenting the hell out of everything; labels, Visio, MS Project, etc. I figure I do good here and I can write my ticket elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Motronic posted:

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity, not something that should piss you off.

It really doesn't piss me off too much. I'm actually excited by the opportunity. I just wish I had known that I would be what is basically a chief engineer instead of just a grunt. Plus I wish I was getting paid a bit better too for this, it's still very good but less than what I know other people with the same sort of responsibility get.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Caged posted:

Wait until you see per-port licensing on FC switches. All the hardware is already there, but you need the feature licences to turn them on.

I had that happen when I was working on some satellite receivers at my old job. They were HD receivers that had a disabled port on the back for composite video. Called Ericsson to see how much the license was, found out it was $1500. We could have bought four converters for that price that would have done more.

A couple months ago I got a new job at the county admin building working for the local government tv station. They want to upgrade everything to digital now and eventually hd since most of the equipment is 15 years old and is starting to die.

So I work up an equipment list with specs for the upgrade and give it to one of the people in purchasing. She asks for some more details and the equipment list goes out again, this time to the person that I thought was going to be putting the bid package together. I get nothing back from her. Talk to my original contact and she says that I'm good and that they should have everything.

Yesterday, I'm over in the purchasing department for another reason and I swing by the persons desk who was supposed to be working on this. I ask about the progress and I get a deer in the headlights look from her. She has no idea what I'm talking about and says she will look into it. I get back to my desk and yep, shes the one I emailed. But she is a older lady and maybe it just slipped her mind.

Then I get an email from my boss inviting me to a meeting to discuss the upgrade progress on Thursday. I look at the invitees, my boss, his boss, head of purchasing, the buyer, and the person that was supposed to be putting this together. There's no way this is going to go well for me. Adding to my nervousness is the fact that I'm still on probation and we have a department performance evaluation meeting on Friday with the assistant CAO for the county. My coworkers are telling me to relax and don't worry, that I haven't been trained on purchasing procedures for such a large amount ($200k+ for this phase), and that the people up there are hella lazy.

I'm thinking alcohol might be in order.

But on the upside, once this is all done I'll have upgraded the station here to full HD with the ability to broadcast live HD meetings from three remote locations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What is pissing me off today is the hosed up state of my counties finances.

The local county run hospital has a budget shortfall that is going to effect the rest of the county departments including the one I joined four months ago. It was only $64 million but they are now projecting it's going to be between $71-82 million. Every department is being told to cut 7-10% of their budget, including mine.

During the meeting when this was revealed I leaned over to my coworker and asked if I should start working on my resume again.

What isn't pissing me off is I have just finished my bid proposal for a complete revamp of the county tv station. Lucky for me, the funds for this are coming from a different revenue source that can only be used for the station. It's my first major project that I have done on my own and I'm feeling pretty proud and excited about it. At least until I actually start over thinking it and the possibility of having to justify it the board of supervisors.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What I'm currently pissed off about is waiting on two more pieces of equipment to ship so that I can start actually move forward on our new master control layout. Between that and me ordering the wrong bnc connectors twice has put me behind schedule and I'm starting to go a bit crazy. But it has been therapeutic ripping out tons of old coax wires and tossing them before my coworker, who wants to save everything, can get his hands on them.

On a semi-related note, what do most people use to document their racks? Visio? AutoCAD? Documentation? I saw a demo of something called WireCAD last week and was kind of impressed by it but I'm not sure I can convince the bosses to spend $1800 on it.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

The past couple of weeks has been annoying enough that I think the grey in my hair is increasing at an increasing rate.

About a month ago the government tv station I work at switched over to a brand new digital video router, playout system, etc. While I'm not the only person in my department, I'm the only one that did any of the work since my coworkers pretty much refuse to do any work or have any interest in learning how everything goes together. In fact one of them threw a mini fit when I told him that I probably wouldn't be keeping this ancient dvd recorder that has a built in hard drive because in my opinion it's a piece of poo poo. Never mind the fact that the recordings look like crap, its analog only, and we'd have to dedicate about $1k in hardware to get it working with our new stuff.

The main issue we are having right now is some of the cable stations in the outlying areas aren't receiving our signal due to our video encoder slowly dying. We bought a new one, but turns out no cable station in our area supports a mpeg-4 h.264 stream. So I called around and found a used encoder that will do the job for $2500. What I should have done was just purchase it, what I actually did was ask my bosses what they would like me to do.

One of them never responded, another said go for it, and one wanted to wait till he got back from vacation in early August to set up a meeting to discuss the purchase of the encoder and why I was going to buy a used one. Considering that a new one is about $15k and for that kind of money we have to get the county board of supervisors to approve it, which would take about two months.

Now it appears that the encoder is totally dead so we have to swing into high gear and get everything up as soon as possible. Thats fine, but where was this urgency last week? So I get the vendor going, explain we have a rush order, get a call from the tech at noon, and get a shipping confirmation at 2 p.m. But I can't get it configured tomorrow because I have to go to a mandatory new employee orientation that is about thirty feet from my desk with all the equipment. Could I count on my coworkers to help out? Nope, they'll be loving around on the internet or taking long lunches.

After working for county government for almost a year I have an appreciation for the private section or at least how my old station was run. No meetings to discuss what needs to happen at the next meeting, no endless amounts of stupid metrics (quarterly goal and employee reviews), being asked "why are you rushing around? You work for the county now, you don't have to work so hard," etc. If I wasn't getting paid more, I'd jump ship and go back to my old job where I was appreciated and had coworkers that were willing to help.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I work in the county-run government tv station. It's a semi laid back job compared to being at one of the commercial stations I've worked at in the past. But sometimes it is a bit too laid back.

We started streaming our various meetings on YouTube last year. Everyone is happy, the video looks great compared to our other streaming service which is a heaping pile of crap that only runs in IE. But I start seeing that YouTube is flagging most of our meetings as having copyrighted content. I do some digging and it is the end music we use for the end of meeting credits. Still not sure why we need almost two minutes to run credits after every meeting, but I really don't care.

I ask my coworkers about the music and they say we have a license for it. At the time I was satisfied and didn't think about it for a couple months. Back in August I start to get worried about it again. I ask them where the license paperwork is for that track. Turns out we don't have a license, the guy who set the station up in the first place just grabbed whatever music he felt like and used it with no regard to licenses or rights.

So now I'm very worried about this because pissing off music license holders is a very bad thing. I find out who owns the license and give them a call to see about getting legal. They quote me a price for using the track in a internet stream of $150 per show which is the discounted rate for non-profits and government agencies. For the airing of the show on our station it is $400 per show per airing. So just one days worth of shows is going to cost the county $1100 bucks and about $5-6k each week. ]

I tell them thanks for the info and go tell my coworkers that we need to stop using that music right now. The response is "well how are they gonna know, "we like the music as is," and "we don't have the time to find new music." We already pay a blanket license fee for two other libraries that is renewed on a yearly basis, but they can't take a half hour to find something that we are license for so that a major poo poo storm doesn't come down on us. How big a storm, they have been using this music for at least ten years if not 15 or more with no license. The cost per year is around $400k just to use that one track times 10 year plus possible punative costs for doing this.... It's not good and the county lawyers would have a heart attack if they knew this was going on.

But no one seems to care other than me. I've told my direct boss about this and my department head and I got no response other than "that isn't good." I've brought it up during staff meetings and not a dam thing has been done. I'm half tempted to delete the sound file from the server and force the hand of everyone but I'm going to give them one more chance next week to pull their heads out of their asses before I do it.

Sorry just had to vent about this bullshit.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

My impression is that using copyrighted music on youtube won't get lawyers descending on you looking for a payout. It will get the video flagged by content id and give the copyright holder some privileges. Mostly what I see is they flag your video for monetization and they get all the proceeds, or they limit where the video can be viewed (restrict to a country, or restrict embedded videos, stuff like that). A link will appear in the video description crediting the song as well, providing an option for the viewer to buy that song.

That said because it's a government entity doing it, it's potentially a source of embarrassment if it ever becomes a "thing" on the internet. Some chucklehead on reddit makes a post "wow look at the government pirating this music, I would go to jail for that!" and suddenly it's loving everywhere and the pitchforks are out. That will bring damage control down on your department and someone's gonna get picked to be the scapegoat.

Unfortunately because the rights holder has been contacted no one can claim ignorance anymore either.. assume they kept a record of the call and now have ammunition.

Basically get that poo poo fixed or at least CYA.

The music on YouTube isn't that big of a deal. All we get is ads over our content. But I'd rather not have a banner ad for a lawyer over our planning commission meeting. But yeah, I'm going to CYA myself on this one. I have no desire to piss off an entire floor of lawyers along with the entire board who would definitely hear about this. I'm kind of regretting posting my rant now, but I had to vent.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Well, that went easier than I expected. I told my coworker that we will be switching music due to the licensing issues. I gave him a list of ten tracks, he chose two for us to use. For $62 bucks a year we have a blanket license for both our cable channel and our youtube stream.

Of course the one guy that will bitch and moan the most hasn't heard that I've changed things and I'm expecting him to complain about it. If he gets too upset I'll just tell him to go talk to our boss and explain why he'd rather us chance a $150k a year license cost or be legal for $62 a year.

What is pissing me off is that I've spent two days trying to figure out why our skype system isn't able to receive or send calls. I forgot that the account we are supposed to use is a Microsoft account and not a Skype one. Once that got changed everything works. I'm pissed at myself for not thinking of it sooner rather than checking ports, network configs, etc.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Why would you ever use a acoustic treatment made of recycled cloth when you could probably do the same thing by using foam panels that are designed for that purpose that won't shed fibers.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This doesn't piss me off, more like fills my black heart with amusement. I came in a couple of days ago to see one of my coworkers looking at the 5 bay Drobo that we use for backups. All the lights on the front were flashing red which according to the Drobo site means your drives are dead, replace them now.

I tell him to contact our IT guy to see what he wants to do and that I'm not touching it. The IT guy came in yesterday morning and looked at the Drobo for a couple of minutes. He then asks if I remember him tells us all that the Drobo isn't reliable anymore and to start using the other NAS we have, which I do remember. So the NAS that they continued to use is probably dead and everything on it is lost. What was on it you might ask? Only DVD images for every meeting we have had for the last couple of years. Why they wanted to have dvd images instead of leaving them as .mp4s I don't know. Total drive size lost was about 20 TB.

What makes this even more amusing is the other NAS we have is only about 25% full and could have held everything that is now lost.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to let every drive go red before asking for help.

Most of my users flip out when a single drive is reporting a single reallocated sector, which is also annoying but at least it means I don't have to deal with a sobbing student that just lost their thesis.

I don't think the drives themselves are dead, I think the box itself is dead. One more reason to get onto our county network (we're a government tv station) and back everything up to their SAN along with getting away from using consumer level NAS devices here locally. But they don't want to be on the county net, they don't want the county knowing what internet sites they are going to. Well their official reason to have a separate network is that the county would block some of the sites that they use. So we are paying way too much to have our own separate network just so they can go to whatever sites they want.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Deploying a couple of Nortel T1 converters over the last couple of days and I don't understand why Avaya, who now own Nortel, won't allow people to download firmware without having a sold-to number or support contract. It's a 10+ year old system, I just want to get the newest firmware on them and grab the MIBS so I can monitor the status of the T1s without having to manually enter the OID numbers. I kind of understand but come on, I can go get firmware updates for video equipment that costs five times as much and all I have to do is click a link to download it.

What isn't pissing me off is that even though I'm deploying these old systems as a stop-gap they are replacing even older Windows boxes that are running Win 3.51.Can't wait to take all five of those pieces of crap to e-waste.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

They are Nortel SR3120s, I think they should all be on the 9.3 firmware, Don't worry about digging anything up, I was more annoyed at Avaya locking everything away. Thanks though.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I just received an automated email from YouTube saying that the channel that I'm an admin for has had a video removed for violating their guidelines. I understand the guidelines are there for a reason but the video that was flagged was a Board of Supervisors meeting that the major topic was dealing with a Cannabis Land Use Ordinance. This was a local government meeting that aired live on tv and on the county website, I'm not sure how anything that happened in the meeting violated the guidelines other than if there is one for being boring as hell. The only thing I can think caused this is some person flagged the video by hand and they went through the automated transcript and that caused the violation.

Now I get to appeal the verdict but in the meantime we can't stream anything live, which unless google is quick means the proposed budget hearing we have scheduled for Monday evening isn't gonna be streamed and that is gonna piss off a bunch of people.

What isn't pissing me off is thanks to Thanks Ants, I'm now sending video across several T-1 networks to cable companies and is seems to be working much better than the old system that involved several computers running unpatched, but not on a network, Windows NT 4. It's gonna be great to see those pieces of trash hauled off to e-waste.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I have a coworker that can't remember things to save his life. He'll take notes on how to do things, have labels on equipment to remind him, etc. But at least once a month or so he'll forget a step and things go wrong.

After a employee evaluation he now wants me to explain everything I do to troubleshoot our equipment because our manager brought up that they don't do any troubleshooting. They will just let me know the next day that things went bad, even though they both have my cell and have told them to call if anything going wrong. It has gotten to the point where I remote into my work computer to verify that things are working or to see if they have finally rendered out the video I was waiting on till 5 p.m. on Friday.

So we had some AV equipment that was losing the settings for its connection to a server. We can get it working by entering the address manually, but that isn't normal. I have an email into the tech that built the system to see if he has any idea on what the issue is. But my coworker is insistent on what the steps are to get it working again. I tell him that I will email it, but he wants to know it now.

It's like I know you had a crap eval, but all of a sudden he wants to be super tech and fix everything. One, that is my job he is a video producer. Two, system was broken. I'm not gonna fix it myself. I let the vendor take care of it, especially since it is a custom system (Creston) and I don't have the knowledge to even begin to deal with the programming side of it. Three, getting all snippy with me isn't gonna help any since I am technically his supervisor and he hates that. I would be nervous that he is after my job, but he just isn't able to deal with with his normal duties let alone mine.

Problem got solved 10 minutes later when the vendor rep emailed a new version of the settings file. Tested it out and everything works.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not convinced that troubleshooting is something that can really be taught - people I've worked with either dive in and start changing something and aren't really able to explain why they are making that change, or they can methodically break something down.

Thanks for articulating what I've been thinking for the last day or so.

I had a co-worker at my old job who thought that the first step to solving an on air issue was to power cycle the video encoder for the station. Yeah, I kind of bit his head off for thinking that.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm about to lose my poo poo with my coworker who wants to learn "troubleshooting." Over the last couple of weeks he has been after me to show him how I troubleshoot equipment. I'm reluctant since 1-that's my job, and 2-this guy can't even remember how to do his own stuff to save his life. Every couple of days he wants to watch me work on stuff so he can "learn." I snapped at him and my other coworker last week when I was trying to figure out some video issues. They both just stood there watching me silently for 15 minutes until I told them to go away because they were creeping me out. I felt a bit bad, but to just stand there and watch was annoying. If they at least offered suggestions or asked questions I would have let them stay, but dead silence... nope.

So today I go out to a meeting room and I see him up on a ladder messing with the clock. For some reason, when they redid this room a couple years ago they went with a POE clock that gets the time from a time server. On the best of days it is a pain in the rear end to get it to see the server, today is the worst of days. He says that the time was off and he was trying to fix it by pushing the buttons on the back. When I go to remote in and start working on it, he says that he wants to watch so he can learn how to do it himself.

So now I get to spend 30+ minutes or so trying to get this thing to go to the correct time instead of 2.5 hours in the future. I'm about ready to go to my boss and tell her that me trying to explain troubleshooting to these guys is causing me stress and I'm gonna lose it soon. I understand why she wants a backup, in case I leave or get hit by a bus. But these two guys aren't the solution.

I'm actually working on a local wiki where I document everything that I can from settings to basic problems to manuals. But knowing my coworkers, it will just get ignored in favor of their "knowledge."

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

At the same time, an untrainable 'helpful' idiot is useless forever, and an active drain on otherwise productive employees. If the dude is unable to retain the basic skills needed to do his actual job, what makes you think teaching him abstract troubleshooting skills would be any different? I'm sure throwing enough poo poo at the wall will get something to stick there, but that's not his job.

That's also the issue here. His actual title is video producer, my title is engineering supervisor/station manager. He has difficulties doing his own job, so I'm not sure why he is feeling that he needs to branch out. For example, when they would setup equipment, he would wrap colored electrical tape around the wires and use a sharpie to color code the connector so that he wouldn't forget instead of actually knowing the signal flow through the equipment. The tape would stay on for months which made dealing with those cables gross.

I don't want to be the single point of failure, but at the moment there is no one else. Seriously, I'm the only person with my title in our county government. I'd prefer having a backup, but these guys aren't it. They are what you think of when you say government employees. I was willing to help them, but after working here for over five years with no willingness on their parts to learn it has gotten old. They've been at the county for 12+ years and most of that by themselves so they could have taken the initiative to learn which is what I did at my old job.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2019

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Wibla posted:

I think we found a CE!

(for those who remember larches' story :sun: )

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!, I'm one of the good ones I swear.

I think that sending some stuff on problem solving might makes things worse. They don't like the fact that I'm their semi-supervisor so my boss and I have to kind of tip-toe around that issue for the time being. Adding to that, both of them are closer to 50 so they might feel insulted getting a "how to critically think" from me. I should probably talk it over with our boss and see what she thinks.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 5, 2019

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

50 year old lifers in a government job? Ahahahahahahahahahaahaaaaa. No. They are the next best thing to unfirable, and so set in their ways you could use them as a survey datum point for the office. I'm sure they also don't like the fact that you're probably half their age and their supervisor either. Giving them a book on "Word Problems and You: A guide to critical thinking" would be like pouring gasoline on the smouldering pile of resentment they already have for you. Like big boy union grievance tier hissy fit over it.

Cynical? Yep. But also rarely disappointed.

I'm actually only four or so years younger than them but I've been working in the industry since I was 20 so much more experience. But they are possibly the laziest people I have ever worked with. They have even said to me multiple times "why are you working so hard? You work for the county now." I'm working hard because I don't want to be here till 2 a.m. breaking things down, I'd rather be at home sleeping than collecting OT.

These are the same two people that have a day and a half blocked off weekly to edit and render a video that airs before our county meetings. Think something along the lines of movie credits and you'd be correct. Somehow it takes then 10+ hours to do a six minute video, on brand new systems with i9s and a nvidia 2080s.

The only thing that amuses me is that my boss has told me that her boss (top non-elected official in the county) is getting annoyed that they can't produce anything in a timely fashion. It took one of them four months to produce a four minute video. He has even floated the idea of hiring freelancers to do the work he wants, but I'm sure the union would scream if that happened. So I just sit back and try and stay amused at them not knowing how thin of ice they are on.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

There is a company that makes prosumer audio equipment whose manuals are full of dad jokes and crap to make them seem cooler than they actually are. After trying to deal with this for a couple of years, I just stopped buying their gear.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2020

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

One of my on-going projects is to go through my stations video archive. Right now we have 16 years or so of meetings backed up to DVDs, but only one meeting type is organized. The other four are just in stacks here and there. Some in jewel cases, others in envelopes, and most are just in stacks of bare discs. So first I get to go through and try and organize them into what meetings, then by year, etc.

But for some reason, we have three or four copies of one meeting. Is there a reason? Audio adjusted? Video not synced up? Who the gently caress knows.

I can handle that, what is really annoying me is that they titled almost every disc in month-day-year format, if the disc is even titled at all. About half are labelled My Disc, VH DVD, Project, or just disc-1.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to invent a time machine so I can go back and find out who used cheap cd disc labels on our dvd archive. Not sure what I'll do, but it will be memorable. So far I've found 20 archive discs with labels that either are off center, have bubbles, or are just coming off. Hell, I'd take a poorly written label in sharpie written by someone using their non-dominant hand right now.

On the other hand, we seem to have gotten our Polycom system talking to MS Teams so that is one computer and headache that might be going away soonish.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I'm starting to get a bad feeling about some changes at my job.

My team has a new manager/department head. She started last month and seems to be decent. During her first week, I mentioned that when she has a chance, I'd like to go over some stuff and give her an idea of various projects/plans that I had been working on with her predecessor. Nothing really critical or time sensitive, but important enough that I wanted to go over it all in person. One of the big items is the equipment I was going to purchase for this year, but due to various reasons I'm probably going to have to push to next. No big deal, the funding source for it has plenty of cash and can only be used for equipment purchases. But the dollar amount is going to be about $150k for everything (new playout server, switcher, graphics system, etc) so I'd like to tell her early and let her know why.

It's been almost a month now and I still haven't been able to talk to her for more than five minutes. So do I write up everything in an email or remind her that I need to go over projects? Things are starting to come up where I need direction or if I told her what is going on it would cut down on some mis-communication.

Any suggestions?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This might be one of the last straws before I really don't care about this job and start actively looking for another.

We had a bit of an issue yesterday prior to the start of a city council meeting. I was out of town, but had told my boss that I would be available via phone if anything went wrong. I get a call ten minutes before the start of the meeting saying that the projector isn't working. They had rebooted the entire system twice before calling me. Normally I'd be semi-happy that they attempted some troubleshooting instead of just shrugging and telling me three days later as is normal. But rebooting the entire system would be the last thing to do instead of what I have told them several times before, which is to power cycle the video converter that feeds the projector. I have even marked it with a loop of Velcro. So a minute after they call me, everything is back to normal and I go back to my day off.

About a hour later I get an email from my boss saying that from now on no one will be able to take annual leave on days when meetings are being held. Doesn't impact my coworkers at all, they don't take those days off anyways. This new policy is only aimed at me because no one can be bothered to give me a call. Because of this, now I have to change my plans for an work conference in a couple of months. Either I go only for a day and a half (4+ hour drive) or not even go at all.

Part of me does take some of the blame for the problem and my coworkers not being able to fix it, but if they can't be bothered to learn the systems or make sure everything is working earlier than 30 minutes before a meeting then what can I really do. I already have a troubleshooting guide up on our wiki, but beyond printing it out and putting copies everywhere I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. How do you get people who don't care and what people think government workers are really like to take some initiative?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

So you were on vacation and got a call from your job? First step is to not answer that call.

Yeah, the thing is that she would only approve my vacation if I was available to assist if something went wrong. Between the problem yesterday that I was dealing with and the three or four urgent emails I got on Monday I really didn't get a chance to relax. My girlfriend was telling me that I should change it to four hours of leave per day instead of eight since I was actually working during my time off.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I forgot to set my auto responder so that is partially my fault, I turned it on after the third email I got regarding two PSA's to add to the tv stations playlist.

I wish I did have a contract, but nothing. Not even a member of the union since I'm a technical manager. I should probably sit down with my boss and go over things but since she is new here I'm not sure I'll make any progress.

I'm taking off a couple of days in July and I'm going to set my autoresponder to say if anything comes up, bother someone else.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

We are having an issue with sharing video over OneDrive. The rendered video on our desktops is perfect, or at least as perfect as it can get. But once we share it to my boss and she downloads it on her phone, it loses lip sync. After doing some digging, it seems only to happen when she downloads it to her phone. So I told her that and the best solution would be for her to use her desktop and upload the video to YouTube and Instagram from there.

Not acceptable for her though, so I had to send in a ticket to the helpdesk asking if they can investigate why a video loses lip-sync when downloading from OneDrive to a iOS device. I feel bad for making them chase their tails trying to figure out what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I wish I could go back in time and punch the person that installed the racks in my department. The racks themselves are perfectly fine, tapped holes instead of square. But when they installed the power strips, they didn't mount them flush to the inside of the rails so they stick out 3 mm or so on each side. Then you have the outlets that stick out even further. If I have a deep server, I get to play where can I mount this?

I would remove them and switch over to horizontal PDUs but it looks like they are bolted in with the bolt head between the racks. So to remove them I'd have to pretty much cut them out with a reciprocating saw which is the exact thing to use around broadcast equipment.