Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

dennyk posted:

My last sysadmin job I had an interesting schedule: 12-hour days, 3-on, 3-off, 4-on, 4-off (basically working Thursday-Saturday and every other Wednesday). Only downside was having to work every Saturday. The 4x12 weeks did get long sometimes, but Saturdays were usually pretty dead, so it wasn't too bad, and always getting at least three days off and four days off every other week was awesome. Shame they were paying me way too little; I got a 60% pay bump coming to my current job (which is a very similar position) and it's not like I'm being overpaid now.

That schedule sounds suspiciously like my last sysadmin job. Was your office above a liquor store and several bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know the trick to resetting the config or the user/pass on a APC PDU (7990 model)? I configured one that was fine but this one we got used, I can't get into even over serial. I can hit the web interface but of course apc/apc doesn't work and the reset button doesn't seem to do jack poo poo.

I deal with these all the time. The trick is to push the reset button twice. After the indicator is blinking orange and green, push the reset button again. This will reset the username and password to apc/apc for about a minute.

Remember you need to set your serial port to 9600 8n1!

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2014

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Not responding, I have what I think is the right cable, it's brand new in the bag from our APC KVM thingy. Maybe it's not the right one (manual says 940-0144A)

The cable should be grey with an rj-11 on one side and a female db-9 on the other.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z6KAM/ASTE-6Z6KAM_R0_EN.pdf Here is the manual for the 7990. The directions are on page 19 under "recover from lost password"

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

incoherent posted:

[i]Dear bitcoin barron at the 24/7 accessible colo,

I understand you’ve taken up an entire row of racks to run your farm on exposed motherboards and video cards, keeping every single rack door open to avoid proper heat dissipation. This does not concern me. However, the colo provided crash carts* are not your personal possessions and you cannot hoard it at your convenience.

*= crash carts are keyboards, video, and mouse for common use
Are you a customer at my data center? This sounds a lot like what my boss has done.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It read to me like one of the staff is embezzling a rack for his mining rig.

This is exactly how this works here. We were spun off of the company that owns our DC space, as such we have preferential treatment when it comes to billing. The price of power is a flat fee that is included on a per rack basis, as long as he doesn't trip the circuit no one would notice. He is also using a /30 of public ipv4 space for each mining rig.

Normally I wouldn't care what he is upto, but whenever there is a price shock in BTC my boss becomes downright abusive to me. Bitcoin is the sole reason why I want to :yotj:

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2014

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

That's only 2 usable IPs per subnet, one of which is probably the gateway back to whatever he's connected to.
The number of ips in use isn't really a problem, the problem is that he is stealing 20 or so /30s out of our customer allotment for running his bitcoin empire. It's essentially the same as if I was stole half a tray of ram, or a couple of SSDs from our stock.

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

evol262 posted:

Python code:
import timeit

def clever():
    for n in xrange(1, 500):
        for m in xrange(n + 1, 500):
            a = m*m - n*n
            b = 2 * m * n
            c = m*m + n*n
            if a + b + c == 1000 and (a*a + b*b == c*c):
                print "Clever: a = %d, b = %d, c = %d" % (a, b, c)
                break
    return True

def naive():
     for a in xrange(1,999):
        for b in xrange(a+1, 999-a):
            c = 1000 - (b + a)
            if a*a+b*b == c*c:
                print "Naive: a = %d, b = %d, c = %d" % (a, b, c)
                break
     return True

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print("Clever executed in %f seconds" %
           timeit.timeit(clever, number=1))
    print("Naive executed in %f seconds" %
           timeit.timeit(naive, number=1))
I ran your code and the Clever method does not meet a < b < c
code:
$ python 1000python.py 
Clever: a = 375, b = 200, c = 425
Clever executed in 0.045996 seconds