Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alighieri posted:

not pissing me off, Bash is coming to windows natively

rm -r /windows

bash: rm: command not found

Because I'd be surprised if Microsoft is also installing the full inventory of unix binaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emacs devs didn't feel their job was complete until exiting their program was more obtuse than exiting vi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'll work great until there's a few dozen "hey can we add this little feature" or "can you tweak this setting?" or "jimbob over in this group needs to run this report every 5 minutes, will that be a problem?" type requests piled on to it and the whole thing turns into the same pile of crap it used to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of NAS is it that it doesn't have snapshots? Or is it a home brewed box with a bunch of hard drives that someone threw on the network and called a NAS?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it may be worth checking the top level directory for a folder called .snapshot, that's the de-facto standard location.

If there are no snapshots, someone needs flogged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

1) No snapshots has been confirmed,
2) Domain Users had r/w access to the share.

:lol: Get me out of this place.

Now every time someone asks you were their files are, respond with "raid is not a backup."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this person Ted Stevens by any chance?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I make a point of purging random backup files whenever I encounter them on systems I take care of. I usually leave one or two of the most recent just to avoid creating a bigger problem if someone does actually need to backtrack, but beyond that it's game on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Install Tortoise HG / SVN / Git and just checkout the folders every day. It's pretty useful to track changes of the meandering administrator anyway.

Or puppet's file type. Point it at a directory and turn on purge and recurse.. say goodbye to detritus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know a guy who insists on having his laptop on a projector when running a meeting, and is incapable of typing a word without a typo. So whenever he's entering something we all have to sit there and watch while it's type a few letters, backspace to the typo, try again, backspace again, try a third time, and boom we have one word on the screen!

Then repeat until he's entered his complete thought.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just type the IP and keep web sites I like stuck on post-it notes next to my monitor.

gently caress vhosts. :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It sounds like he was worried about I/O rates if one of the front end nodes went down, but lacked the vocabulary to actually convey that concern.

Though that does sound like a pretty cool set of toys to play with. When we got our first netapp (like 15 years ago now, ugh) that had failover capability it felt like magic. I could yank a power cable, the partner would detect the failure and migrate clients magically. Except for a ~15 second hang on nfs clients no one had any clue something had happened.. and this was in an era where losing an nfs server generally required reboots to recover.

Failover is rad when it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone I do work for has all of that. A local hosts file, that same hosts file as a NIS map, and normal dns. They have the resolution order set to files, dns, nis.

I tried to get rid of the NIS part once in an attempt to keep things tidy, and they refused, saying they wanted it as "backup" in case the other two options failed.

They also have a caching dns server on their local network segment, so there is literally no failure mode where NIS would be a viable fallback.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Had a boss that was a major hoarder and refused to let us throw out unused hardware. We had entire cabinets full of odd sized screws and bits of metal used to adapt rails to a rack. Sooooo many IDE cables long after everything was SATA. Boxes and boxes of power cords too.

Eventually he moved on and since we never made it a goal to clean up, we've just slowly been whittling it down as opportunity comes up.

I did save some artifacts from the mess though.. an old backup tape labeled as a release of X11R5 for Solaris. And one of those gridded mouse pads the old sun laser mice used.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, a mediocre computer at least.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone 23 today would have graduated high school in 2011, and the first iPad launched in 2010. That kid spent most of his school years without any kind of touchscreen device so the assertion that they have never used a mouse has to be false. I'm guessing there was a bit of hyperbole involved with their complaints about the working conditions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of those early tablets were common in schools however, which was my point. :geno:

Kid has assuredly used a mouse in his lifetime and is just being a whiny rear end in a top hat. Probably destined for sales or upper management actually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone should ship an accelerometer with a data logger in a box with "handle haphazardly" and "smash at every opportunity" written all over it, and compare that to another box with "fragile" and "handle with care" written on it. Then maybe a third box with nothing at all on it.

Then do it a few dozen times to establish patterns, and post the results for the internet to be amused at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reminds me of a new hire we had years ago, actually was pretty intelligent but after he was hired he started acting like god's gift to our department. The last straw was when he got into a spat with our boss and predicted "in six months I'm going to have your job."

He was gone the next day. :shrug:

Though to be fair, my boss in that period was a colossal turd and probably deserved some sass. But still you just don't say that when you haven't even collected a paycheck yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Hey we're hitting open file limits, which is set to X. We think the peak will be around X*2 descriptors. Can you set the max to X*1000 so we have some headroom?"

:geno:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prism posted:

See, if they'd asked for like *3 I could see the question. But a THOUSAND times?

It's the "never want to worry about this ever again" style of request. When they crash the server it's my problem to fix, so why not aim for the moon? :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be thankful they haven't read up on 5ghz wifi and concluded it is the fix for everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me those kinds of conversations are pointless because they've already decided what they want you to do, they just think they're fostering a collaborative work environment by allowing you to express an opinion (that will be rejected at every opportunity).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one of many reasons why I'd be a horrible boss. I would sniff out poo poo like that and crush it.

A ways back there was an initiative to modernize our data center to impress visitors when they show up for a tour. The solution? A dozen high end 46" TV's sprinkled around cycling through flashy powerpoint presentations broadcasting all the awesome work that gets done. They had to allocate an employee just to manage and update the presentations.

Downside? These screens are never powered off and, optimistically, we do a tour once a month.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would someone do this? :negative:

Pick one or the other you jerk. Preferably the one that does not involve zip ties, but you definitely don't need both.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

America literally wouldn't be America if companies didn't poo poo on their employees at every opportunity.

And that's not a sarcastic "literally." :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst by far is sites that don't give you the rules straight up. Hit submit, "sorry not long enough." Make something longer "sorry, must have a number." Add a number "sorry must have a special character."

:fuckoff:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spazz posted:

Chip 'n' signature is loving stupid. Guess what? Your chip can still be cloned. Chip and pin is the only way to go. Canada has had it in place for years.

Well not the ONLY way to go. Chip and pin still has vulnerabilities. It's just the best yet to make it to market.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I agree it's an improvement, but I have a habit of warning people who talk about absolutes in computer security.

The perfect solution doesn't exist and the bad dudes are always trying to break poo poo so no one gets to rest for a minute trying to find a better system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why most ticketing systems have a "cannot reproduce" option in the resolution dropdown.

Sorry users, I tried, but I can't break it the way you did. :shobon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's always amusing when people toss out a suggestion to learn a language like it's something you could do over the weekend.

"Just buy rosetta stone, I see ads for it all the time! It's very easy!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I've heard the hardest part of Korean is if you don't speak it well, a native speaker will offer to talk in english instead because they all know english anyways and want to practice it.

Except when at company meetings, apparently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

True of so many languages. The first time someone responded to me in German when I was in Germany was a triumph.

Try Bavaria. High school trip, we were waiting for a train in some random small town I can't remember the name of. Stepped inside to buy a pastry at a little bakery that was in there. I hosed up the wording, got flustered, ended up having to order by pointing.

The stinkeye the lady gave me could have been classified as a biological weapon there was so much hate behind it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mllaneza posted:

How about "a network that is an unholy amalgamation of poorly integrated copper acquired from competitors even less competent" ?

Which is to say, it would be wrong not to.

On the upside, from what I've heard their actual networking geeks are really drat good. That talent just gets lost somewhere between design and implementation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of people who end up in management get really weird about anything other than a 9-5 shift. Where I'm at they hemmed and hawed for almost two years about whether to allow the "9/80" schedule which gives people every other Friday off for working 9 hours the rest of the time.

So when they finally announced their awesome progressive flexible work schedule, it came with like 20 pages of rules and restrictions and a warning it was a pilot program that could be terminated at any time if they felt it wasn't working.

End result, no one uses the system and no one is better off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes it's the employee's fault for not landing the 1 in 1000 positions in their commute range that treat workers like valued assets. It's cool to not pay bills for a year to hold out for the dream job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Varkk posted:

If only there were some way for workers to join together in some kind of collective group to negotiate better conditions with employers.

That works for a while, then the unions turn into the enemy. You're always getting hosed by someone, somewhere. The only way to win is get lucky, make a pile of money and get out of the system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Fucker you provide a service to the rest of the organization. Why not pretend like you understand that and do your goddamn job before I gut you with a fish-hook

On the other hand, gently caress end users that ceaselessly come up with ridiculous one off solutions that expect instantaneous fixes every time something goes tits. :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Love the lone ziptie looped around a single fiber cable.

It's even the removable type, but :effort:

All the cabling where I work is cut to length on demand for the run, which keeps everything looking super tidy but man I bet there's some sticker shock when you look at what it costs them. The wiring is probably relatively cheap, but sending out dudes to run the wires, cap them, and sort out reuse down the road is probably a giant headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At work we're finally enabling selinux by default with the next os upgrade, users are gonna loving hate us.

But with this making systemd production and allowing people to run their own services with user daemons, it seemed like a good time to lock things down a bit more.

Gonna be a lot of support tickets though.