Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bargearse posted:

Microsoft if you could please just stop arbitrarily renaming and rebranding poo poo that would be great

If it helps they're all busy tearing apart Phil Spencer for canceling their free xbox live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

In a lot of cases, being able to use an authenticator for work also means enrolling your device in mdm.

we use rsa's securid and I'm actually kind of happy with it. The registration process sucks, I have to open a ticket with my org then call a number and give them some private info to confirm identity and they send me a registration link, but once it's done it's done and they have no control over my phone.

It does promote not upgrading my phone ever because if I do I have to open another ticket, whatever secret the app generates can't be transferred.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doing bulk IP allocations on our private network (it's a /20), send the list to the end user. They kick it back to me saying there's an address that ends in 0 like I hosed something up.

I respect that not everyone in IT is a networking expert, but if you got "engineer" in your signature y'all better know how subnets work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No jury would convict

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but you're part of a family united in a common goal to make the ceo as rich as possible so that's worth infinite dollars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure they were advocating for accepting the argument, it's just the cold hard truth of how the system is running. The economy as it stands now requires pushing employee wages downwards. The poorer we are, the better inflation looks and is why in the US they've been loving with interest rates so much, it's to make us peons poorer. It's a horrible rigged system that benefits the wealthy.

The plebs are absolutely obligated to push against it, that's why unions are so important. Without the occasional uprising the ruling class will just keep stomping us down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like an edit to ignore all zero values is the right choice, sure we all fall in love with our simple clean scripts but business needs don't work like that. The requirements change and the code gotta follow.

Unfortunately that's the job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also have the bot sound an alarm if anyone brings up a topic that's not on the agenda.

edit - drat, beat by an edit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Microsoft's tone deaf marketing is legendary. No one is worse at it than them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My org offers VPN, but it's a massive hassle to log in and they disabled split tunneling so farrrrrt to that. The upside is they left ssh open so guess what, I do all my work via a socks proxy and a jump host config.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone looking to hook up their DX7?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

theyre making me work on AI stuff and when I see poo poo like this I die a little inside each time

We all knew AI wasn't about making anyone's lives better and Duolingo is just a demonstration of it. The sole motivation is to reduce headcount so the C levels can get another yacht.

The version of capitalism we have is a failing system and this is just another nudge towards the whole thing snapping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"zero trust" has leaked into my org and this has resulted in an end to some types of announcements being sent by email (because they can't trust email, even though we have to log in to it with 2fa). So instead they set up an internal website that we're supposed to check every day for announcements, and we have to log into that with 2fa. They want us to set it as our home page, ensuring we get constantly blasted with login prompts.

End result? People are starting to miss announcements because no one's cool with that bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Employer: don't ever click on links from strange domains, if you click on a phishing email we're gonna yell at you

Also employer: we're gonna have this company no one has ever heard of send you an email with information how to access your tax information online. no we will not announce this, you have to guess if it's legit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same old poo poo: announce a service being deprecated over a year ago, send monthly warnings it's coming, and this month finally announce the hard shutdown date. Get a half dozen angry emails how that's too soon and no one has the ability to migrate that fast.

Well then what the heck you been doing the past year you jokers?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agrikk posted:

this is why I love notepad++. Even if my PC reboots overnight, my (unsaved, unnamed) notes stay in their tab when I relaunch the app.

This is why I am currently on tab "new 35.txt"

:feelsgood:

You can even configure it to store the scratch files in a cloud folder and have the exact same notepad tabs on multiple devices (sort of, you have to sync a sessions file and be cautious to close notepad++ often because it only reads that file on startup).

Or just use vscode I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emeritus status was a mistake.

Dusty old farts throwing their weight around trying to keep the environment 20 years in the past. Go chill out on a beach, quit loving working and let the rest of us actually enjoy some progress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why email should die.

I guess it's not specifically email that's at fault, it's links and the fact that anyone can register a domain that facilitates it, but the inability to conveniently identify the sender as authentic is a pretty gaping flaw.

And yes there's ways to do that but the protocol doesn't enforce it so no one bothers. It's "too hard".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

They do five hours work a week and spend the rest telling people the work they've done

I guess I'm a ceo now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

How mature for enterprise use is proxmox nowadays? I haven't used it for probably 5+ years and even then it was just a single lab node.

Ask us in a year because we're migrating off RHEV to proxmox right now. So far it's "fine," feels exactly like RHEV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not iscsi but our storage is a fiber attached san. Expensive (for us) but it's worked well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have to manually inventory and it sucks but we're also government and if something goes missing it's a big deal because it looks bad on reports that make it look like we've got poor security and are pissing away taxpayer money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The capitalist machine requires that number goes up. Phone sales aren't selling gangbusters like they used to so they're making up the slack with ad sales.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Google still works fine if you go into settings and turn off all the AI crap on the front page.

Around the turn of the year Google cranked up their buy poo poo interface and it's now impossible to look up any product without it looking like Amazon. The Reddit magic word usually fixes it but they are really spiraling that drain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

Part of the issue is stuff like stack overflow and other sites going to poo poo too; used to find so many good posts and now you get walled on a ton of various sites that used to be useful.

They're all trying to turn into platforms you spend all your time on. Those hyperlinks 'ol Tim came up with? You can't profit off that! Gotta sequester that juicy content and keep people inside the house.

I blame discord for this trend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy dot matrix printers new, they aren't dead. They're just out of the limelight.

I kinda miss the chattering noise they make. But I have zero need to print out miles of text so will probably never own one again. Especially the high speed ones which I think are still faster than the best inkjet/laser versions you can get.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

duckduckgo is my default these days (this change coincided with the amazonification of their product search results) but it still feels like it can't return technical results quite as well as google. There's just something about the way google can pull up information on obscure OS issues that no one else has replicated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Added bonus is if they do find the video and make demands to take it down it's only going to blow up even more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I kinda get it. Obviously harassing businesses to try and provoke a reaction for internet clicks is obviously total bullshit but there is a very real problem in the US with people being locked out of land they should have access to. Look up the lawsuit around Elk Mountain in Wyoming for example. People are getting blocked from accessing public lands because some rich idiot bought the neighboring land and throws a fit every time someone corner cuts his turf. It's probably going to end up in the supreme court because rich prick keeps losing trials and bumps it up the chain.

So I guess the moral of the story is both sides are technically right but they should stop being assholes so we should chill out and meet somewhere in the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why some genius should buckle down and come up with a protocol where attempting to connect to an offline service will query some kind of status reporting service and display a helpful message like "we're doing maintenance, gently caress off."

But nah, spinning a dial for 45 seconds before kicking back with a "connection timed out. contact your administrator if this persists" error is totally acceptable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I said a genius should do it, I'd gently caress it up.

I just want errors telling people to ask to their administrator to die.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well as they say, if it's free you are the product. They want your email address so they can build a profile of you and sell it to advertisers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spend your day with a floor plan of the office and build an exact route for them to follow and send the ticket back. gently caress laziness like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But their passion is graphic design!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dude you're getting free credit monitoring from dell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like you're getting paid to do nothing so I'd ride that as long as possible. Let the bureaucracy work around you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perhaps that means Waymo has been running over motocycles so they need to put a stop to that. I know they had a bicycle collision earlier this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Safari is all anyone really needs.

And I can kind of respect people having the first instinct to deny camera and notifications access. Better than the alternative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I never knew there was so much of an overlap between attorneys and farmers!

It makes sense, both professions are masters at exploiting the system to get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I want to rant about our corporate takeover/absorption, but figure someone involved is reading this since somethingawful.com is a white-listed url.

Use code words, describe it as if it's a children's birthday party. No one will figure it out.