Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You should 180 his desk after he leaves and see if he notices tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's not the full episode :( Cuts out right as Luke meets Leia.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Me: Hey everybody heres that documentation on how to foo the bars, note that there are two parts to the instructions, paragraph 1 is about how to actually foo, paragraph 2 is what to do with the bars when you are done fooing.
Idiot: Hey I followed your instructions to the letter but it's not working!?!?
Me: Did you do the thing with the bars I told you in the 2nd paragraph?
Idiot: No I only read the 1st paragraph.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Lync is a piece of garbo trash that I was forced to reinstall by my superiors yesterday, so far it is stolen focus five times and freezes Word whenever I click the Review tab every single time.

Also it doesn't save conversation history even though I have it turned on to do so, oh you need something someone said to you a couple hours ago? Nope.

Why can't we all just adopt Skype (which is free and does not need to be wrestled with by our IT team) and be happy?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

They're just drawings man, you did this stuff when you were 3 years old!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

But by implementing agile framework we can enhance consumer satisfaction and synergize support team and front-end experiences. Cloud.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Client chat: Who is worse, doctors or lawyers? We're currently supporting the former (pain in the rear end) and will soon be also supporting a firm of the latter.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

My company just made it mandatory that you post something to socialcast at least once a week.

gently caress you, social networks, now you're taking over my job too?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I'd rather people make claim of things/teams/whatever so I know who to go to when something goes wrong instead of sending an email cced to six different people and none of them reply.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Our product was sold to a client with about 200 users last year, it works but just barely, it can be very sluggish and have timeout issues during the busy times of the year.

The sales team is doing a demo for a 2000 user client today.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

mewse posted:

Pop quiz, hot shot - what happens if someone's finger gets stuck in a cooling fan?

Your fingat is a worthy sacrifice to keep the data center running. Also stop sticking your fingers into fans.

If this was a reference to something I apologize.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I have been cc:ed on an issue that's been circling around a group of 10 or so recipients for 3 days. Nobody knows how to solve the issue but several suggestions have been thrown around. Just for shits and giggles I type the exact error message into google, click the first link, copy+paste the microsoft rep's solution into a reply all. Of course it worked.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks internet explorer, I did want to search Bing for this internal address instead of just connecting to it, you're right I should have added http :// first. How foolish of me.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Every time you open Cisco VPN Client, five seconds are added to the load time.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Snip a small hole in his walmart bag while he's in the bathroom.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

For the past two years I have been serving part of my job as an uncompensated email monkey for another employee. Back when I started there were three of us watching a shared email box and grabbing the incoming issues based on what the ticket was about. Fast forward to today and the activity for this email box has greatly died down. Now there is only one person handling 99% of the issues that come through that email, but for some reason this joker won't add it to his watched inboxes, so I have to forward every email that comes in to his address directly. This wouldn't be so bad, but then instead of writing the client back himself he just replies back with a "tell them this:" message, so that I'm the one that inevitably handles all communication with anyone and ends up getting called or emailed for issues when I haven't worked with the product in a long time.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently it starts in spring and ends in fall, which always confused me, wouldn't you want to save daylight when there is less of it?

Remove DST, remove timezones, this system is so dumb.

e: also DST kills people

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

He is going to make the document black + white to continue working on it but wants a color copy on hand.

Basically he wants you to print a thing for him, possibly because he does not know how.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If my data touches that cloud, then my data will be touching all the data that cloud has ever stored!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

An issue we've been fighting the client and Microsoft over for two weeks was fixed this morning by changing a login from domain\user to user@domain. Yay.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Priss In Plate posted:

Pissing me off: Azure.

We just migrated a fair amount of Important Stuff to Azure for a few clients. Naturally, they are up in arms and telling me to fix it.

I wish I could. :negative:

Do we work together? Higher ups are constantly pushing for office 365 hosted services for our clients - nevermind that you are Microsoft's bitch for maintenance and downtime, nevermind that if there's a problem at the db level you are out of luck, nevermind that all support will be going through Microsoft's black hole ticketing system. We have no problems with our current setup, but everyone is too lazy, stupid, or cheap to have their own boxes to put things on so they look to someone else to do their hosting so that when poo poo goes wrong they can point the finger at someone besides themselves.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you're going to assign someone to QA the color adjustments I did to your web page don't assign it to a colorblind person, it's awkward for everyone involved.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

“A provider’s main job is to read the abhorred Necronomicon”

Story of my life

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What's this in my inbox?
Behold, the Surprise Meeting, a phone call that was not scheduled with you in advance, has five ornery attendees from the client, and started 9 minutes ago

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

stuxracer posted:

My company finally got around to blocking SA from being accessed from our network when I was on vacation for Turkey day. You unfun meanies :(

Of course social media sites are totally cool though.

Unless they ipblocked it, in which case time to set up your home computer for remoting!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

He has no proof that he informed them. They have him over a barrel here and they know it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The workaround is to ask someone else for their password, then log in as them to submit a password reset request for your account, duh.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Three clients called in with year-end issues in the past three hours, all demanding they get priority and fixed A S A P.

Entitled fucks. If it was this important you wouldn't have waited until the 2nd last day of the year for it now would you?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off today every day: SharePoint.

My job has become a linguistic dance focused around ever working with this piece of garbage.
I got to try sharepoint online recently and a lot of the server-side hassle is removed, but god help you if you ever need access to anything under the surface.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Found out I am making a change today that basically makes my job obsolete in about 12 months time. On the bright side, how many people get that much advanced notice!

The change will cause intermittent and unpredictable problems which only you know how to fix.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

EDIT: Someone who is not me, at all printed this out and stuck it to his office door:

http://catb.org/esr/writings/unix-koans/gui-programmer.html

I don't get it. :smith:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

His finger is the mouse pointer. Using a keyboard would be the equivalent of talking.

I didn't get it either for a while.

I think I understand now, but then putting that up is just as bad as the director's praise. It's not like "modern GUIs" can't be used with a keyboard as well...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Extremely hosed up. There has to be someone above him you can talk to?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

skipdogg posted:

The problem with talking to his boss, is his boss probably made the hire and I've learned people don't like to deal with the fact they might have made a bad hiring decision.

Somehow I have faith that his boss's boss is still human enough to take it seriously if an anonymous compliant was made saying "he fired X on the spot because X got angry that he formatted his laptop without any notification".

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'll take any of these email composition mistakes over the emails I get that just say "server is down" in the subject line with no body (PS no server was down I checked them all)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Time to get your schadenfreude on.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Power goes out on day 17, re-indexing has to start over.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Aww he worries about you. :3:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Now Hiring: batteries for use 24/7 in my money printing machine, once you are out of juice you will be thrown in the garbage

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

nitrogen posted:

last month:
:bigtran: WE ARENT GOING TO PAY YOUR INFLATED PRICES FOR DEDICATED DATABASE BACKUPS!@#@!#$!@ WE WILL DO OUR OWN#@!$#@!%@#%!!!!!!!
:boom:

Today:
:bigtran: EVERY NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT OUR DATABASE FREEZES! FIX IT!!@#!@#%$@!#%

Please tell me these are verbatim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

baquerd posted:

Now you just opened yourself up to a log file injection exploit.

Confidential data was in the input as well, security compromised.