Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
MEETINGS!

Especially ones where someone could have just emailed me a loving question.

I could answer that while I'm smoking instead of sitting in a room staring at people wishing I could be smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Couldn't we all just buy ourselves a nice bottle of booze and save the postage?

Oh look, everyone got a thumbdrive/bottle opener from everyone else!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

mewse posted:

It's definitely an age thing. Boomers weren't expected to know how to use a computer because the PC revolution happened when they were already middle aged. Right now, the 60yo department head isn't going to lose his job for being computer illiterate, because his job is building widgets, not how to use email. As we go forward, these people age out and the excuses for destroying a network will become much less accepted. A baseline of computer literacy will be more strongly enforced.

Some of my worst users are the youngest. They never had to learn why a computer does what it does and they've had everything be so "user friendly" that they can't think critically when it "doesn't work".
18-20 year olds who almost exclusively use smart phone and tablets for the last 3 or 4 years for all their internet needs. They also more often than not only ever used a PC to type up word documents and play games. Getting them to reliably communicate issues when they come across something that isn't part of their job is hard.