Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Strangest thing ... last time I needed to call in somewhere, I could not get to whatever department I needed from the office VOIP system, but it worked fine from my cellphone. It seems incredibly unlikely that it was just luck. I had to call back a number of times and I just couldn't get past the main switchboard over VOIP. I don't understand why it would matter what/where I was calling from.

DTMF wasn't working over your voip line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Ah thanks. I inherited this system, never dealt with VOIP before. Looking at the provider's documentation, looks like the thing to do is set "RE-INVITE" to NO on the peer setup in Trixbox.

Which reminds me, I want to look at rebuilding in FreePBX soon.

That's not going to necessarily cause you a problem or this problem.

You need to make sure DTMF is set for RFC2833 through the entire path. That means your phone, the PBX, and the carrier you hand off to. Many carriers are terrible at this, and will work sometimes and not others (depending on what one of their underlying carriers you call happens to go through).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

diremonk posted:

Like having to use Groupwise for everything. I understand legacy systems, entrenched, etc. but isn't Exchange somewhat a standard?

No.....not really. Especially in older organizations.

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity, not something that should piss you off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Those .Net patches can gently caress right off.

How on earth can those patches take so long? They aren't even saturating disk IO or CPU when they're running. They just take forever with no easily discernable reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Why the hell did Cisco decide to gently caress with the IOS syntax on ASAs? I keep trying to use "do" or typing "sh ip in br" like you do on EVERY OTHER CISCO DEVICE and the ASA just smugly informs me it has no idea what I am asking.

:argh:

Because it's not an IOS device? They run PIX OS/Finesse. And used to be even further away in command syntax than they are now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh. :downs:

Still seems dumb to make arbitrary changes like that, though.

I actually like having to use "do" since it means I can be sure I'm not about to commit any actual changes.

It's not an "arbitrary change". It's a platform/company Cisco purchased in the mid 90s, and have slowly upgraded and brought into line with IOS command syntax along the way. It was created as it's own product with nothing to do with Cisco or IOS by people who as far as I know never even worked for Cisco.

I get that it's odd to use now because it smells a bit like IOS but doesn't quite work like IOS......but if you know where it came from you should be surprised it works like IOS at all, especially if you were deploying those things in the 90s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

That goes for any physical infrastructure, really. The amount of times I went to a place at my old job where the "fileserver" crashed, and it turns out the "fileserver" is just some off-the-shelf Compaq running XP Home SP1 sitting in the corner of a closet, with enough dust in it that I literally have to scoop it out was...well it was more than enough to make me write all of this.

The problem with that is (for the fileserver part) you'll have crazy SMB apps that still require a local file server, or worse yet a local MS SQL server. I have some side jobs that are not worth doing in offices like this (and I only do them because these are my friend's businesses). I've tried to find suitable replacements, but nothing has been practical as of yet. One of the worst offenders is in the insurance industry (small family office of agents).

We went from on PC being the "server" when they first asked for help (YEARS ago) to a debian box running samba that was cron jobbing everything to an external drive on a schedule and now on to an SMB RAID 1 NAS solution + MozyPro. I wish I could do better for them, but some of the crap they need to run is ancient and no one is making suitable SaaS replacements. At least not a year or so ago the last time I got called for help that took long enough that I revisited the basic problem and potential solutions.

I know it's easy to say "there has to be a way to move them off of <x>" and while that may be true in a technical sense.....these places aren't interested in moving in many cases or it's financially burdonsome. Mom & Dad have been using the same drat software to do the same things for a couple of decades and it works for them. They are ready to retire in the next decade or less and have no interest whatsoever in learning new software. Forcing Win 7 on them because they needed new desktops was bad enough.

Fortunately, there no real money to be made in these markets so most of us (who aren't suckers for their friends) won't have to deal with that mess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but if you have to run that server, at least put it on a shelf and try to dust the room every now and then or something. I'm not saying "Oh if you can't afford a full rack and separate redundant power you should just use Dropbox you loving plebes" but you also can't just ignore your infrastructure responsibilities, especially if whatever is on that one box is mission critical.

Oh, I didn't think you meant that at all. We totally agree on these points, and for the people I'm not so happily helping they are at least doing the bare minimum.

Inspector_666 posted:

Which of course it always was. Which of course would never have backups. And of course the people never want to pay for updated hardware even when the existing poo poo is dead/dying, it's always just "Well fix this one!"

I started out in the business dealing with poo poo like that. It took me some time before I learned how to fire customers. Not all of them are worth keeping.

Inspector_666 posted:

Again, at my old job I once had to restart a Server 2003 box and before doing it I straight up told the business owner "Listen, there is a very real chance that this thing will simply not come back on." This was one of the few times we knew we had good backups, so that's not quite as apocalyptic as it sounds, but the guy I told it too still refused to buy a new server even though he readily admitted that "if" (it was when) this one died he would pretty much be out of business.

Been there, shuddered at your description. Those are the ones I fire now. They CAN NOT be made happy long term, and when things go pear shaped YOU will be the one they blame. F that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Caged posted:

Is there a reason why IT budgets always get hammered, or are there a bunch of janitors on a forum somewhere complaining that their employer won't give them new mops and it's just a thing that happens in bad companies?

Yes janitors would get this too in bad companies. Anything that is a cost center gets hammered.

IT really is on par with janitorial work to places like that: they really don't look past it being a cost center in the accounting system to realize what it actually contributes to the organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I see this point, but you could make the argument that any non-revenue-generating department is subject to this dynamic.

The replies to my post thus far have made me think a lot of readers don't understand the terminology I used:

Motronic posted:

Yes janitors would get this too in bad companies. Anything that is a cost center gets hammered.

Cost centers. Things that don't show a profit in the standard accounting reports. They are all subject to this treatment. IT isn't a special hole that gets poo poo in more than any other holes companies throw money into. Bad management doesn't see the value of these holes that never seem to fill up so in their short short signtedness they stop throwing money into them without any real understanding of what that means to the company....other than showing short term margin gains.